Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Convert Smokey Joe Platinum into a Mini WSM?  (Read 5866 times)

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
Convert Smokey Joe Platinum into a Mini WSM?
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:07:23 AM »
I've seen lots of how-to's for the smaller Smokey Joe, but this morning I thought I might look into converting my Platinum into one.

Thoughts?

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Convert Smokey Joe Platinum into a Mini WSM?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:29:34 AM »
As far as I know, no one has a pot that fits.  If memory serves me correctly, a smaller 20 gallon drum has been used, but no idea what the fit was like.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:37:44 AM »
Yeah, kind of figured that might be the hang up.

I was hoping that since there is an 18.5" WSM already that maybe it was possible to get parts from Weber to make it happen.

Oh well... I don't know how to use one anyway, still learning how to use my standard kettle. :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:47:45 AM by Thunder71 »

Jeff J

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
If you can find one, the ProQ WSM stacker will work perfectly on an SJP. I chronicled my conversion at http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?42798-SJP-WSM-Stacker-Mod (keep scrolling down for details on the build). I could never get the temps to run stable enough for my satisfaction, and eventually I got a WSM so I just gave up on it. I probably needed a charcoal basket, but just never got around to making one.

I got my stacker on eBay for about $60 shipped but I don't see any listed right now. Good luck with it and let us know how it works out if you decide to proceed!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
Yeah, kind of figured that might be the hang up.

I was hoping that since there is an 18.5" WSM already that maybe it was possible to get parts from Weber to make it happen.

Oh well... I don't know how to use one anyway, still learning how to use my standard kettle. :)

You can order the wsm mid section online or from someones extra, but then you will also need the grate straps, door, grates, and diffuser. If you go to a resturant supply store, they also have larger aluminum pots that may fit- but bring the bowl and lid with you to try it out. Either way, the $$$ adds up quickly. Jeff J's ProQ is a nice turnkey solution. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Some 30-35 gal drums also fit if you want to go UDS hybrid.

Search for 18.5" UDS or 30 gallon UDS and you will see a bunch. Here is one built by Swamprb

You can see more of it on this thread in BBQ Brethren http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2569800
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:30:11 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »
Thanks guys, will keep my eyes open... much appreciated.

Jeff J

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
I forgot to mention, if you can find a ProQ, it is supposed to come with an extra 18.5" grate in the box that is very heavy duty, so that may offset some of the cost of the build.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
I made one with the Pro-Q stacker and it's way too tight, so tight in fact you can't take it apart after putting it together. I can almost gaurantee there is a tamale pot made that would fit. It just has to be researched.

jimqpublic

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:58:33 AM »
This is my first post here- I'm up to 6 Webers now with a new Jumbo Joe.

I put together a "regular" Mini WSM with a Smokey Joe Gold and 32 quart tamale pot a couple weeks ago.  Now I'm thinking one for the Jumbo.

I already have a 18" WSM, but it is too big and dear to take camping.  I think the Jumbo and an aluminum mid section would transport much better.  Aluminum is also easy to work so adding a rotisserie would be easy. The Jumbo can nest partly inside of the pot to save space as the legs are narrower than the wide part of the kettle. 

So yesterday during my lunch break I wandered around some cheapie restraunt supply stores in downtown LA.  Saw a couple pots that looked close, need to come back with tape measure and a spare cooking grate.

Likely suspects:
64 quart $40 Tamale pot similar to the 32 quart models, but much bigger (mostly wider, a bit taller)  Appears to be the right size at about 17-1/2" across, not sure if it is big enough to hold the Weber rack inside.

40 quart "Winware Professional" sauce pot for $56 without lid.  (Also on Amazon Prime for the same price- obviously the shop checks the competition!)  This looks ideal for my use if the size is correct.  Aluminum is very thick and the height is 10" which should be good for roasting, not as a smoker.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 10:14:38 AM »
Welcome JimQ! Thanks for jumping in. When you get a chance jump over and intrioduce yourself here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/

You already have a jump start on a nice collection of Kettles, but we'll need to see them as proof. Keep us informed on the Mini-WSM project.

Marty (jumping out)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
This is my first post here- I'm up to 6 Webers now with a new Jumbo Joe.

I put together a "regular" Mini WSM with a Smokey Joe Gold and 32 quart tamale pot a couple weeks ago.  Now I'm thinking one for the Jumbo.

I already have a 18" WSM, but it is too big and dear to take camping.  I think the Jumbo and an aluminum mid section would transport much better.  Aluminum is also easy to work so adding a rotisserie would be easy. The Jumbo can nest partly inside of the pot to save space as the legs are narrower than the wide part of the kettle. 

So yesterday during my lunch break I wandered around some cheapie restraunt supply stores in downtown LA.  Saw a couple pots that looked close, need to come back with tape measure and a spare cooking grate.

Likely suspects:
64 quart $40 Tamale pot similar to the 32 quart models, but much bigger (mostly wider, a bit taller)  Appears to be the right size at about 17-1/2" across, not sure if it is big enough to hold the Weber rack inside.

40 quart "Winware Professional" sauce pot for $56 without lid.  (Also on Amazon Prime for the same price- obviously the shop checks the competition!)  This looks ideal for my use if the size is correct.  Aluminum is very thick and the height is 10" which should be good for roasting, not as a smoker.
Sounds like a possibility. Now we need someone to give it a shot. I am way behind on the projects I have now. :(

jimqpublic

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »
There's the whole need vs. want thing.  I didn't "need" the Jumbo but wanted it $42 worth, which was the Target sale price.

Then I started sliding down the slippery slope of "upgrades".  I found some slightly used Craycort cast iron grates and griddle for only 2x what I paid for the Jumbo.  Now I'm thinking a tamale pot, a bunch of stainless screws, thermo, grate, and water pan for about another $70 or so.

Suddenly my $42 grill is passing $200!

I think I'll backburner it until I get more use out of the 14" mini WSM as a smoker and the Jumbo as a grill.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
Using a 16 gallon drum, and the SJ lid, a mini UDS is what I recommend.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »
MacEggs, that is an awsome build, You must have that posted somewhere?

Craig

• WKC Mod
Convert Smokey Joe Platinum into a Mini WSM?
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 08:18:42 PM »
Nice looking mini UDS.