Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New-to-me H code 26” kettle, needs just a little TLC  (Read 1082 times)

Farace

• Smokey Joe
New-to-me H code 26” kettle, needs just a little TLC
« on: March 26, 2023, 01:53:46 PM »
Alerted by a post by Pezdogs (thank you!), I ran out this afternoon and picked up an H code/1986 26” kettle this afternoon for $20. I figured that I might flip it. Nope, I got it home and my partner saw it and she said, “I think we’re going to have to keep this one.”

It’s not in bad shape, a couple of good-sized chips on the lid, and chips where one would expect them where the inside straps are welded on, but really not bad at all. Needs a good clean-up. Grates are thankfully in decent shape. I could almost just set it up and use it as-is.

It is missing the one-touch sweep. Easy enough to replace, and I don’t even have to put in the effort to dislodge the old-style sweeps, as they’re already gone.

It is also missing one of the bowl handles. If anyone has a surplus black strap handle, I believe I can weld it in place.

It is also missing the wooden handles. I know I can order reproductions, but I’m tempted to try to make a set myself with some cherry or walnut I have on hand. If I don’t do so well, I’ll order them from someone that does a better job.

The ash pan is present, albeit a bit bent. It was inside the bowl, under the charcoal grate. (Why do I see that so often?)

All in all, a minor project. First order of business is to clean it and replace the sweep. The rest I can do even while I’m using it. (I have a plastic handle I can put on the lid temporarily.)

As always, also getting an unrusted chimney is always a plus.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
Re: New-to-me H code 26” kettle, needs just a little TLC
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 02:00:09 PM »
All in a day's work! Congrats!

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 02:26:26 PM »
Addendum: the seller just messaged me, telling me he was just offered $400 for the grill! Told me to enjoy, it’s a collector’s item! I guess I don’t understand why someone would offer $400 for this one, with the work it needs, when a brand-new one, including improvements added over the years, lists for $429. That’s a head-scratcher for me.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 02:35:38 PM »

It is missing the one-touch sweep. Easy enough to replace, and I don’t even have to put in the effort to dislodge the old-style sweeps, as they’re already gone.

It is also missing one of the bowl handles. If anyone has a surplus black strap handle, I believe I can weld it in place.

It is also missing the wooden handles. I know I can order reproductions, but I’m tempted to try to make a set myself with some cherry or walnut I have on hand. If I don’t do so well, I’ll order them from someone that does a better job.

The ash pan is present, albeit a bit bent. It was inside the bowl, under the charcoal grate. (Why do I see that so often?)

All in all, a minor project. First order of business is to clean it and replace the sweep. The rest I can do even while I’m using it. (I have a plastic handle I can put on the lid temporarily.)

Those dog dish ash pans tend to either get blown away in the wind or if left clipped to the legs beneath the bowl fill up with water.  Lots of guys will set the ash pan inside the kettle during the winter to prevent both of the above mentioned occurrences.

For information, the ash sweeps for a 26" kettle have a different part number than for the 22" kettle. The part number for a 26" with ash sweeps is #63046.
Here's a link from Weber's website:   https://www.weber.com/US/en/parts--et--support/replacement-parts/charcoal-parts/one-touch-cleaning-system/63046.html

It's very common for the front bowl handle to break off on 26" kettles.  With the weight of the bowl, lid, cooking and charcoal grate, it creates a lot of stress on the two spot welds of those bowl handles.  Whenever I move any of my 26er's, it's a two trip operation.  I carry the lid and cooking grate separate in one trip and then roll the bowl to wherever the kettle is being moved to.  That reduces the weight and stress on the bowl handle.

@Pezdogs
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 02:38:57 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 03:31:56 PM »
Yeah, I just moved mine back into the garage.  Do it the same as you.  It’s still amazing to me how heavy the lid is. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 05:11:18 AM »
Looks great, congrats!  It's amazing how much you can fit on one of those - especially with the flat top.  Have fun restoring it!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 02:18:22 PM »
What a great find.

Have fun restoring it and cooking it.

BTW, your partner is a keeper !!

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 12:06:31 PM »
I have a spare metal bowl handle if you need one.  I also can reproduce a new twist on aluminum ash pan if you're interested.   Just PM me.  Look my posts of to see photos of the pans I make.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kettle collector AND cooker!

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 01:43:19 PM »
I have a spare metal bowl handle if you need one.  I also can reproduce a new twist on aluminum ash pan if you're interested.   Just PM me.  Look my posts of to see photos of the pans I make.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Just to be sure we’re talking about the same thing, I’m looking for the metal strap handle that the wooden handle screws onto, in black. Not the earlier metal bowl handles with the rounded profile.

I’ve seen your twist-on ash pans, and they’re beautiful. This 26” kettle has the later dog dish held on with spring clips, and I have the pan. It’s misshapen and coated with cement-like ash residue. I’m slowly tapping it into shape and trying to get as much of the ash out as I can, but it’ll never be pretty.

Thanks!

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 05:32:16 AM »
Awesome! I'd love to have an old 26 flat top!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 05:55:41 AM »
Nice score and tip of the hat to @Pezdogs for the assist.  I see some col spin lines on the lid.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 07:56:05 AM »
If welding the bowl handle becomes an issue at some point, and the WKC demand is high enough, just patiently wait for ROUND 3 production of @Lilyankee SS

quality made handle straps.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=46634.0

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 02:21:44 PM »
I have reattached two 26" bowl handles with stainless steel hardware. Both have held up for years now.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC