Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: !!UPDATE!! Lilyankee replacement Stainless steel handle straps ARE PRODUCED  (Read 5011 times)

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Hi all.
Handle maker Eric, @Lilyankee  has contacted me looking for some help with the overwhelming number of requests he’s had  for his taco buster handles.
He told me he didn't have a problem making the handles, but didn’t want to get into the taking orders, boxing and shipping of them.  We are in daily contact, and live relatively close to each other so it seemed like a no brainer, so I offered to help him out and he agreed.

I will be taking orders, receiving payments and taking care of shipping and handling while Eric concentrates on the production end of it.

I think using the same format that @Bertl / @Jeff use on the ash pans would probably work best.

This is what we came up with:
Eric agreed to make 50 handles in this initial production run. They will be produced in a made to order timeline.
Handles will be $30 each with free shipping to the Continental US.  Canadian orders?  I will need to look into shipping costs, so they may require a higher price.  I will try to do what I can help out our friends to the north! 

After the first 50 are produced and shipped  Eric will re-evaluate the the production run.  If things work out well, and there are more members that didn’t get handles  that wanted some there may be another run. Eric mentioned this round  of handles would probably be  where members would preorder the number of handles they want.  This will more than likely happen after the first of the year.

Payments will be made to my PayPal account. (I will forward payment to Eric as he requests). Please send payments via PayPal  as “friends and family” to avoid PayPal fees.

First round of handles will be ordered by PM my name(bladz) on WKC.  First come, first served until the first 50 are spoken for.  I will announce on this thread when the last handle has been requested.
When the handles are produced and ready to ship I will PM each member and tell them their handle is ready. Payment will be due at this time and must be done in a timely manner. If payment is not received I will move on to the next customer. 
Please include your full name and shipping address in your pm.

I think I’ve covered everything if there’s something I may have missed please feel  free to send me any questions you might have.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:23:43 PM by bladz »

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Order your Lilyankee replacement handle here!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 04:58:10 PM »
Wood handle NOT included. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:39:41 PM by bladz »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Order your Lilyankee replacement Stainless steel handle straps here!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 04:54:49 AM »
@bladz I am down for 5 at the moment.  I might order a couple more in the future if I make a few more purchases. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:19:57 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger

bamakettles

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 05:44:50 AM »
PM sent to bladz..... Thanks so much!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 06:54:50 AM »
Here is likely the effort that goes into making these in case anyone is curious.  Of course @Lilyankee can chime in if it is much different or he cares to.

1.) If he has access to a CNC machine he can have the straps cut to length and maybe even drilled.  If not, then each strap has to be measured and cut with a band saw and drilled with a drill press.
2.) Each strap needs to be measured and bent four times precisely to fit in the existing lid holes. 
3.) Each bolt has to be tig welded into place.  Tig welding isn't cheap and is more difficult to master.
4.) Now the strap has to be ground and polished so that the edges aren't sharp and everything looks seamless.
5.) Test fitting might be required just to make sure it isn't out of tolerance.
6.) Straps have to be delivered to bladz, packaged for each member, and shipped out. 

This is not to mention that SS costs more to purchase and is kind of a pain in the butt to shape/cut/drill when compared to aluminum or steel.  You also have to be careful about cross contamination with other materials for rust prevention.  I think I paid approximately $10-15 shipped for some SS straps that were just flat and had holes drilled.  The process isn't really ideal for mass production either unless this is going to be his regular gig.  The rest of the cost is in the quality time and effort it takes to get them to perfect finish, having access to all of the necessary tools, and getting them out the door. 

This is why I was willing to buy without much hesitation. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:01:50 AM by ReanimatedRobot »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46:58 AM »
Quality has a price and it is almost always worth it !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 05:31:37 PM »
One question for me:
Is possible to keep the taco and still use this handle?
Like for the GB 26er, I think I like the actual taco, but prefer the straight handle.
Would this work?
Thanks guys for putting all this together, lot of time and work, really appreciate it!

Lilyankee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
Hey [mention]WNC [/mention] , unfortunately the way the taco is stamped, it will not allow this handle to fit. The newer taco handles have bends returning back toward the center, thus allowing the taco to fit. This handle has flanges from the center, pointing outward and interferes with the bends on the handle. For what it worth, I feel like the replacement handle is much more ergonomic when lifting rolling off the large 26”GB lid since the height of the handle is decreased. This also helps with the handle bending against the lid and making porcelain pops like many of the new taco handles do on the master touch when rolling the cover off. Thanks for the kind words. Hope this answers your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ2FL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
Pm sent for my order
Thanks

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 03:52:34 AM »
Man it does look great on there!
I’m in for one, I’ll send a pm
Thanks again
Now if they’ll only get the GB back in stock

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 05:04:13 AM »
Hey WNC your inbox is full.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 07:28:38 AM »
Looks like a pretty good deal and top quality. Would loved to have one of these when I modded  my LE red.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 09:02:06 PM »
Thanks Lilyankee and bladz for offer them here. It is a real craftsmanship Lilyankee does and also hard work to distribut them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app