Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another Weber price hike  (Read 905 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Another Weber price hike
« on: April 17, 2022, 02:55:09 AM »
I get it, I understand inflation.  There have been many factors in the world that have cause manufacturing goods to go up.

However, I was at Home Depot and noticed the following in the pics
Original OT - $139 - up from $99
OT Premium - $219 - up from $150
MT $275 - up from $200
18 WSM $419 - up from $300
Smokey Joe $ 45 up from $30

Weber had kept the prices steady for a long time, perhaps too long but to go up 40% min in such a sort time? 

With other options out there like Griddle and Pellet cooking, I really think Joe average consumer is going to look at this and balk.  Could this be the downfall to charcoal grilling? Good thing the old kettles will be around for a long time to come because I know I would hesitate to drop $220 on a OT Premium.

with these prices, I almost wonder if the $440 price tag for the 70th anniversary ones is a steal.........hmmm or not.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
Re: Another Weber price hike
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 05:23:47 AM »
Don't forget Weber's free ground shipping from $50 jacked up to $99+ on their site.

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 05:35:05 AM »
As with many things in life are becoming, buying brand new is for suckers.
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 05:57:05 AM »
Look on the WKC site at the old catalog section and look for the 1981 price list, around the last time inflation was so high.   Not as high but not as different as you might believe.   

I’m sure other manufacturers will struggle with price increases.   How much will probably depend on how much they want to preserve their margins.  Growing revenue and margin in this environment is really tough. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 06:07:41 AM »
In a world of $70k base trim pickups and $5000 electric lawnmowers, kettles still seem remarkably cheap.

Yeah, it sucks that three years ago, the Ranch was about 1400 and it’s over 1800 now. But the world has changed in three short years and it’s never going back.

There are several factors to blame here. All of them political.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 06:27:38 PM »
The adage will always be true……..the only question is when not if

“What goes up……….”

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 08:18:42 AM »
And the inflation is not due so much to world issues, as to the issues right here at home. The reading I am doing indicates that we have not seen anything yet, so fasten your seat belts!
Glad we have our 3 kettles, and not looking to buy any more!
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 08:44:09 AM »
I've decided not to purchase any of the 70th Anniversary Kettles due to price mostly and lack of space.  May even sell some that I never use.

Bob

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 03:17:18 AM »
The deep ocean blue kettle that I bought 14 months ago for $219 now lists for $299 and the yellow 70th anniv. kettle that I bought on Amazon (March 4th) for $389 now lists for $439 on the Weber site. I hope that Amazon honors my original purchase price when they ship it after May 2nd expected delivery date May 17th.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 09:52:57 AM by Bob »
a blue MT, a yellow 70th, a red 1990, 3 SJ's, 2 CGAs, a Gen II, a Q and a WSM

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 05:13:08 AM »
And the inflation is not due so much to world issues, as to the issues right here at home. The reading I am doing indicates that we have not seen anything yet, so fasten your seat belts!
Glad we have our 3 kettles, and not looking to buy any more!

When you print your way out of a crisis this is what happens.  This is not a political statement this is a reality of life statement. 
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 05:13:49 AM »
I've decided not to purchase any of the 70th Anniversary Kettles due to price mostly and lack of space.  May even sell some that I never use.

I was all about it, but have opted to pass on these kettles.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 07:29:03 AM »
I’ll pass too.  If I was going to drop that kind of cash, it would be something old and rare. 

I like the concept, but the timing is bad economically. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 06:11:59 PM »
I had thoughts of getting examples of the collector kettles that Weber's been doing but I don't need more barbecues.  Those are strictly "want" items and the desire faded away when I got slammed by inflation on a number of other significant items as well as the previous round of price increases from Weber.  The roof on my house deteriorated to the point I had to replace it last summer and I got clobbered on the cost of building materials and my truck wore out.  I was really hoping to wait out the car market on that but it was ageing fast and the vehicle condition reports that came back every time it went through the garage for an oil change kept getting more dire until I ran over a deer carcass while I was on vacation.  I got home from my trip on it ok but the the shop looked it over and wrote up a report with lot of "Do not drive" recommendations so it got parked on the street before it took it's last very carefully controlled trip to a dealership to be traded in.

Unfortunately, between the two big outlays on the roof and the vehicle, then adding another round of price increases from Weber, it's discretionary purchases I've ended up deciding not to do.

On a related note about inflation and rising prices, not from Weber but what goes on the Weber, food prices have been insane.  Back ribs in my area have more than doubled over the last couple of years is just one example among many.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 01:14:27 AM »
Charcoal cooking will never die. [emoji91]

Weber has a place in BBQ and Grilling that will not be unseated. But the charcoal cooking category is very large. BGE, Lodge, all those “hybrid smokers” they sell at Lowe’s. The cost of steel, shipping and Washington are to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2022, 02:15:41 PM »
of all the Weber grills I own, I only paid for 2 of them.  $50 for my 1st Gen Performer and $20 for my 1974 18".  The rest were all free.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold