Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Poll

How many Weber charcoal grills do you own?

1-4
20 (35.1%)
5-10
16 (28.1%)
11-20
8 (14%)
21-30
4 (7%)
31 +
9 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Is the Weber still king after 70 years? *Take the poll- How many do you own?*  (Read 1665 times)

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Is the Weber kettle still king after 70 years?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 11:55:37 AM »
Absolutely!  Great call - Thanks

Cellar2ful

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »
Don't forget the rotisserie, can't beat it on a Weber

+1  -  My most used accessory.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2022, 12:57:08 PM »
Just got a new 22 inch rotisserie delivered today. Used some promotional points from work to get it. Looking forward to giving it a workout this summer.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 01:35:25 PM »
Falls under indirect, but my most used accessory by far is the Slow N Sear combo with Drip N Griddle.  Basically makes my kettle like an oven, can tune to most any temperature and cook on the indirect side.  Also makes reverse searing a snap.  SNS makes a kettle now based on the Weber design, but I'll never buy one.  I've got too many original Webers to choose from and no one can successfully copy the sound of an original Weber kettle lid clanking down on the Weber bowl.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2022, 07:07:56 PM »
The Slow in Sear attachment made smoking large cuts of meats much more convenient.  Definitely
made my job much more easier!
I’ve used a rotisserie over indirect and direct methods, and prefer the direct method.  Indirect worked better for large  cuts of meat like pork and beef.  I haven’t used a veggie basket or a locking grid with the rotisserie but think the direct method would work best for those set ups. 

I think the porcelain coated domed lid helps reflect and maintain the heat inside the Weber kettle so I always get crispy golden brown skin on the outside and sweet smoky tasting meat in the inside. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 07:10:57 PM by reillyranch »

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2022, 10:42:04 PM »
There are some things that are so accepted that everyone calls other stuff similar, it. Off brand Kleenex is still referred to as Kleenex, off brand Band Aids are still Band Aids, and off brand charcoal grills are either referred to as or compared to a Weber kettle....

These are gold standards that never die

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2022, 03:16:39 AM »
There are some things that are so accepted that everyone calls other stuff similar, it. Off brand Kleenex is still referred to as Kleenex, off brand Band Aids are still Band Aids, and off brand charcoal grills are either referred to as or compared to a Weber kettle....

These are gold standards that never die

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Exactly!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2022, 03:22:26 AM »
Just got a new 22 inch rotisserie delivered today. Used some promotional points from work to get it. Looking forward to giving it a workout this summer.

The rotisserie ring had to be one of the first Weber kettle accessories and has remained almost unchanged since its introduction 60 plus years ago.  Follow a good recipe and it’s near fool proof to make perfect roast chicken or beef tenderloin. 

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2022, 08:53:04 AM »
+1 for original Weber Wok

And don’t forget to mention The Happy Cooker   [emoji6]
Dude, relax your chicken.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2022, 12:38:53 PM »
I do remember the Happy Cooker grill, and have a few in my collection!  Not sure what happened to the company but they’re not still in business today.  Maybe Weber put the kabash on them or just had a better marketing and sales team.  If I recall the basic material was very similar, same gauge steel, same weight and both had a strong porcelain finish.  But I do like the Weber kettle better, especially the handles, vents, ash removal, and lid were built better with less fasteners to rust and fail. 

Additionally, I never could cook on the Weber wok, think there have been 3 different evolutions.  The original steel in 3 sizes, then a flattened version made of aluminum or some type of lighter metal, and then the cast iron version in the gourmet bbq system.  Having so many cooking options like the wok has helped the kettle stay relevant throughout the years. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:42:42 PM by reillyranch »

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2022, 04:47:22 PM »
The Internal Ash Pans out of the happy cookers are the best thing I have seen out of any other brand and use 2 in my Webers depending on which grill comes our

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2022, 07:41:22 PM »
“The Internal Ash Pans out of the happy cookers are the best thing I have seen out of any other brand and use 2 in my Webers depending on which grill comes our” @Pezdogs

That’s right, I forgot about those. 

That’s a fantastic accessory for the Weber kettle.  Somebody should look into re-making those. 
There would be enough interest on WKC to make some money producing a modern version of the internal ash pan.  If there are 14,263 WKC members and each member has an average of 3-5 kettles apiece, then there are 50,000 Weber kettles owned on this site alone.  Add in all millions of Weber kettle owners in the world and you have a nice business!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 07:56:20 PM by reillyranch »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »
3-5 kettles each

HA

[emoji16]
Dude, relax your chicken.

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »
In the last 30 years, Weber has done a lot to create a broad market spectrum just within what we would call 'Kettle grills'  You can get anything from a Jumbo Joe (nee Outrider) up to a 26" or a Performer Deluxe, and the techniques are 95% the same no matter what you're using.  You can trick out your Kettle with a bunch of Weber and aftermarket accessories, or you can stick with disposable trays and aluminum foil to accomplish many of the same cooking methods. 

Even before that, Kettles were basically art pieces that you could use to create a great meal.  Imagine waking up at dawn on July 16th, 1969 on Cocoa Beach, about to watch Apollo 11 launch, and seeing a couple of guys sharing a cup of coffee while one prepared breakfast on the chromoveil Californian his wife had gotten him ten years earlier for their first wedding anniversary, while the other cooked on his red-bowled Ranger that he had just picked up for the trip to Florida.  There's no potential for that scene to have happened with any other kind of grill besides a Weber.
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2022, 12:05:42 PM »
In the last 30 years, Weber has done a lot to create a broad market spectrum just within what we would call 'Kettle grills'  You can get anything from a Jumbo Joe (nee Outrider) up to a 26" or a Performer Deluxe, and the techniques are 95% the same no matter what you're using.  You can trick out your Kettle with a bunch of Weber and aftermarket accessories, or you can stick with disposable trays and aluminum foil to accomplish many of the same cooking methods. 

Even before that, Kettles were basically art pieces that you could use to create a great meal.  Imagine waking up at dawn on July 16th, 1969 on Cocoa Beach, about to watch Apollo 11 launch, and seeing a couple of guys sharing a cup of coffee while one prepared breakfast on the chromoveil Californian his wife had gotten him ten years earlier for their first wedding anniversary, while the other cooked on his red-bowled Ranger that he had just picked up for the trip to Florida.  There's no potential for that scene to have happened with any other kind of grill besides a Weber.

I can totally see that 1969 scene in my head...nice imagery!