Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks Signals Recommendations?  (Read 324 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Thermoworks Signals Recommendations?
« on: March 01, 2022, 06:42:38 AM »
Considering a probe thermometer upgrade and looking at the Thermoworks Signals and Thermoworks Smoke.  I like the idea of wifi to my phone if it works well.  Any recommendations or reasons not to get one of these?  Maybe go for the Smoke instead?

Thanks in advance....

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 06:55:16 AM »
I have the signals and love it. The Wi-Fi is a nice touch being able to leave the house and still check on the meat/grill temp. My only gripe is the alarm function it’s not very loud and if your phone is on vibrate you can miss the alarm. I wish they would update that part on the app. But battery lasts forever I even have the billows fan that the signals controls even though I notice I don’t use the fan too often unless I’m doing an overnight cook in the wsm. I was recently gifted a MEATER+ it’s too soon to give my final verdict on it just yet. But so far seems promising

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:14:42 AM by blu082003 »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Thermoworks Signals Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 07:10:29 AM »
I love my 2 Smoke's , I can't comment on the signals but I am sure it's a grate product. I have gifted a few Smoke's as well. You won't go wrong !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 07:48:06 AM »
Thanks guys....I've got a 10% off thing for signing up for email blasts and they're giving away free probe spools today with purchase.....

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 08:01:49 AM »
Thanks guys....I've got a 10% off thing for signing up for email blasts and they're giving away free probe spools today with purchase.....
Great reason to buy !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 08:16:26 AM »
I do love those freakin probe spools haha

« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 08:34:21 AM by blu082003 »

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »
I have the Smoke and love it. Plus Thermoworks has amazing customer service, and jelly beans!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 12:21:29 PM »
Sounds like I'm good either way, just have to decide if I want smart phone ability, which I think I do.  I like that with the Meater+ which works well for now, not sure how long it will keep going.  My Maverick XR50 works fine, it's just the probes are beginning to deteriorate.  I like the look of the Thermoworks probes.  They seem to be better built.

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 12:26:29 PM »
I wonder if the ThermoWorks probes work on your maverick?

Actually looks like someone already did the research

« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:28:43 PM by blu082003 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 12:34:35 PM »
I wonder if the ThermoWorks probes work on your maverick?

Actually looks like someone already did the research

Wow, what are the odds with different manufacturers?  Now I have to research if smoke and signals probes are the same lol....

**EDIT**

Looks like the signals and smoke use the same probes.  Thanks for this info @blu082003
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:39:39 PM by bamakettles »

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 01:17:42 PM »
I have both the original Smoke and the Signals. My Smoke will not control the Billows fan. I believe the newer Smoke X will control the Billows. The WiFi and app support of the Signals are very helpful. Not sure if Smoke X provides it. I know my Smoke does not.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 01:23:50 PM »
I have both the original Smoke and the Signals. My Smoke will not control the Billows fan. I believe the newer Smoke X will control the Billows. The WiFi and app support of the Signals are very helpful. Not sure if Smoke X provides it. I know my Smoke does not.

Thanks so much for your insight.  Hadn't considered the Billows fan - never used a fan before.  Might have to think this over a while longer!

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 07:24:54 PM »

Thanks so much for your insight.  Hadn't considered the Billows fan - never used a fan before.  Might have to think this over a while longer!

I can't imagine running my WSM22 without it. Before the Signals/Billows, I had a Stoker. Once you do a long cook with an ATC, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get it.

Edit: never pay full price for any Thermoworks product. Just be patient and the item you want will go on sale a few times a year.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 08:55:13 PM by cdp8 »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 03:59:38 AM »
Amazingribs.com has very extensive reviews and ratings for thermos.   Check it out. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 04:55:48 AM »
I have the Smoke X4 with Billows. I’ve not used any of the other options on the market, and that’s typically because I research extensively before buying anything.

I can’t imagine anyone having any higher quality than the Thermoworks. The display for the probes is great, the handheld receiver is a nice little unit, the probes I did have one or two apparently randomly go wonky but when I ordered the whole thing I somehow ended up with four or so extra probes. The case that you can get is top notch as well. Just an impressive set that works. I’m also a guy that pays attention to packaging; if the company spends money on packaging, more often than not the product is going to be great. And as I type that I realize I’ve never thrown away a box for any of the Apple items I’ve ever bought going back to sheesh, 2005 with my first iPod?🤣 They’re another company with excellent packaging.

Anyways, I personally did not want phone connectivity. It’s not a thing that intrigues me, either with temp probes or my Smokefire, when I cook it’s an event and an all day affair planned around the cook when I’m smoking something. Part of it is being there and tending to the meat and checking fuel (either charcoal or pellets) and such.

I can’t say not to purchase any other for this reason or that, but I can say you won’t be disappointed with Thermoworks