Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 70’s Brownie Project! Need Help with ID?  (Read 283 times)

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
70’s Brownie Project! Need Help with ID?
« on: August 23, 2021, 06:48:01 PM »
Hey All!

I just picked this up locally on CL for $20. I’m going to restore it minimally trying to keep most everything original other than new grates. There’s a few decent dings and scrapes, My plan is to use the heck out of it.

With my research it looks like a 22” from around 1978? Color copper mist, aka brownie. Am I correct?

I’ll post pics as I get to working on it. My 8yo daughter still thinks I’m cool and would like to help me clean it up. That’s a win in my book.

Thanks!

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

blu082003

• WKC Brave
Re: 70’s Brownie Project! Need Help with ID?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 10:08:37 PM »
Looks like either an “A” or B code. I had a kettle with a warranty replaced lid where they don’t put a stamp on it but with the mbh and double rivet handle and the raised Weber logo probably year 79-80 but I could be wrong [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 05:18:41 AM »
Hey All!

I just picked this up locally on CL for $20. I’m going to restore it minimally trying to keep most everything original other than new grates. There’s a few decent dings and scrapes, My plan is to use the heck out of it.

With my research it looks like a 22” from around 1978? Color copper mist, aka brownie. Am I correct?

I’ll post pics as I get to working on it. My 8yo daughter still thinks I’m cool and would like to help me clean it up. That’s a win in my book.

Thanks!

If there's no letter stamp on the top vent, you have a 1978 my friend and a very nice looking one at that!  I scored one last year just like it, cleaned it up - totally detailed back to new shape and have really enjoyed using it as one of my go to grills for cooking, rotisserie and also chimney assist.  Congrats on the find, here's a pic of mine.....

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 06:34:33 AM »
Thanks for the help. I can’t wait to get started on it. I’ll post pics as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
1989 Weber Kettle 22"

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 05:43:58 AM »
Everything went well. I added a new charcoal grate, new grill grate. Ordered a vortex for mostly mid-heat chicken roasting, maybe some low n slow stuff depending on how it works. Keeping it simple with a clean-up (soap and steel wool), sanded and finished the handle. The handle was super wiggly so I hammered a few toothpicks in the bottom which tightened it right up. The drums turned out great. That holy gospel rub is awesome, even my wife liked it. Thanks for the help!

Does anyone have recommendations for some sort of aftermarket metal can to keep underneath for the ashes? I don't really find the ash catcher on these old ones to be overly effective. It was pretty bent and beat up.

Thanks!

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 05:53:15 AM »
nice RRR work !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 05:56:33 AM »
Looking very nice!  These shine up so well - something about a brownie.  As far as the ash pan, I always use the originals on my 3 vent wheel models, and yes there is some ash scatter.  I just live with it.  Some put a metal bucket underneath, but my OCD does not allow that on mine lol.  If you want something that looks really nice, Jeff has reproduction pans available from time to time at a reasonable price.  I think I've got a half dozen or so on my lookers....link to that thread below, you might could PM him.  Oh, drumsticks look grate!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=48429.msg474219#msg474219

WVKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 11:26:18 PM »
Nice work..  to think I was just a baby when that kettle was born...   I have been looking around my area, but nothing other than newer classic kettles..