Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What finish do YOU use on wooden handles?  (Read 17660 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
What finish do YOU use on wooden handles?
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »
I thought I would start a thread where we could post pics of different finishes you've put on the wooden handles in your collection as a reference for someone who wants to finish their handles, but doesn't know what products to use.

Post away!!!    ;D
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: What finish do YOU use on wooden handles?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »
Tung oil and then spar varnish...like mine with the natural look of the wood.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
GREAT idea.
Stand by for a picture of Brian's oak handle with JUST spar varnish:

This is the Varnish:

This is the handle after 3-4 coats.

That is the process I use when I want a really really light finish, and I think it looks really good on the forest green and reds.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:34:43 PM by G$ »

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »
Watco Teak Oil Finish.

Slow to get the appearance I like, but very durable.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »
Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
Tung oil on the old handles
Spar varnish on the new ones
The varnish looks great on new handles it brings out the grain and natural color of the wood
But on old handles it looks to shiny because most of the natural color has weathered away
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »
Say you've got an old weathered handle. It's turned gray but hasn't rotted away.

What do you/can you do to spruce (no pun intended) it up? Lets say some color stain is desired and then a decent gloss.

And the lazy, is such a task possible without removing it, drilling out the rivets or whatever?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »
Part of the problem w/ discussions like these is the 'old handles' came from a bunch of different versions, and pinning down which kind people are talking about is hard.   Somtimes, people will refer to a 'teak' hand;le, when in fact it is not teak just a strange orange wood that looks really bad no matter what finish you put on it. 

Some of them are just terrible, others are average to ok.  But I know all the ones I get from Brian are perfect.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
I recently refinished the two original handles on my '88 redhead. I started by closing two small cracks with Gorilla Glue and sanding them down as little as possible, but as much as was necessary to get through the gray. I then applied three coats of Minwax 2 in 1 Pulyurethane with Stain. I used the Pecan color, Satin finish. I felt like I was taking the easy way out, but they turned out really nice. Here are some photos:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-'k'-redhead-restoration/msg39644/#msg39644

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »
I recently refinished the two original handles on my '88 redhead. I started by closing two small cracks with Gorilla Glue and sanding them down as little as possible, but as much as was necessary to get through the gray. I then applied three coats of Minwax 2 in 1 Pulyurethane with Stain. I used the Pecan color, Satin finish. I felt like I was taking the easy way out, but they turned out really nice. Here are some photos:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-'k'-redhead-restoration/msg39644/#msg39644
They do look great
Have you got any before shots of the handles so we can see what condition they were in before the resto?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
Absolutely some kind of oil to bring the grain, and then spar.  If you want a duller finish then just buy matte spar varnish.....I never use high gloss.  I use satin....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
Yeah Brian, I typically don't like a gloss finish and would usually go semi.   I am suprised how much I like it on your oak handles though.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »
Great thread! Anyone have before and after pics?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
I received 4 wood handles today from Brian and I started out with a few coats of minwax Cherry stain, then I plan to apply minwax polyurethane, satin finish. 

Basically I am looking to make the handles smoke and water proof with the poly.

Thanks Brian
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:45:44 PM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
I've used Teak Oil on some, Minwax Colonial Maple then finished off with polyurethane on others, walnut stain/poly for another.

Here's a couple pics...

Colonial Maple on a walnut O'Neal....looks like walnut stain.

Teak Oil on an original handle...

Teak Oil on an O'Neal

Teak Oil on an original '97

Walnut/Poly on an original

Teak Oil on an O'Neal

Walnut on a Walnut O'Neal

Original "The One The Only" I got from Duke.