Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wheels falling off  (Read 1792 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Wheels falling off
« on: August 16, 2020, 06:22:29 AM »
My Crazy-K cannot seem to keep the end-caps on the triangle, so the wheels tend to fall off. Not fun when I've got a roast smoking for hours.  Anyone have any ideas or solutions to this issue?

Cellar2ful

Re: Wheels falling off
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 06:35:31 AM »

Replace the stock push nuts with these nickel plated ones.  It's what Weber used in the 50's and 60's prior to switching to the black plastic ones. 

You can find them at both Lowes and Home Depot.

Hillman 3/8” decorative push nut
Lowes-#137200 (model #880516)
Home Depot - #800308

Either that or squeeze some silicone inside your push nuts when you push them on the axle.  It should keep the push nut from falling off.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 06:49:05 AM »
^ This post right here is awesome! Thank you!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Wheels falling off
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 07:39:25 AM »
I’ve used 3/8” shaft collars on a couple of customs I’ve done as well as the newer ones (26” Glen Blue and 22” Ivory) that have hubcaps and don’t show.  Easily installed and removed with a hex wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »

Replace the stock push nuts with these nickel plated ones.  It's what Weber used in the 50's and 60's prior to switching to the black plastic ones. 

You can find them at both Lowes and Home Depot.

Hillman 3/8” decorative push nut
Lowes-#137200 (model #880516)
Home Depot - #800308

Either that or squeeze some silicone inside your push nuts when you push them on the axle.  It should keep the push nut from falling off.

Jim,

I tried a set of those 3/8” push nuts from Lowe’s on my newer 26 and they just don’t seem to fit. Not sure if the sizing is different for 22/26? I have a set of needle files so I’ll get them on. Just a little extra work.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 09:55:23 AM »

@Mike in Roseville  -  You can't just push them on that's for sure.  They are a much tighter fit than than the newer, black plastic type and have to be driven on using a hammer.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 04:10:38 AM »
I have had the very bottom of the legs (the squished flat parts the axle goes through) bend outward and effectively lengthen the dimension the axle must span.  This creates outward pressure on the wheels and, hence, on the nuts.

Straighten the bottom of the legs back to vertical to end this pressure on the wheels.

This problem has been caused by tying down the Weber when it travels in my trailer to various events.

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice. My new find the previous owner had tried to wood glue the plastic cap on. Bought a set at the Depot for .96¢ and good as new.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Weber Kettle Club mobile app