Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New grilling area  (Read 1029 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
New grilling area
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
The lockdown has been mostly a curse.  I am a teacher, and I am very fortunate to still be teaching, but in an online format, which is NOT my favorite.  I didn't get into teaching to do a bunch of video chats and online lessons...anyway, I am still somewhat busy teaching, but far less so than I would normally be, not to mention the fact that there are no more extra curricular activities for the kids.  Honestly, that part has been nice...no constant rushing from one thing to another.

So with that, I've amassed quite a honey-do list.  New locks on doors, new weatherstripping on windows, new faucets, and on and on...but one thing I wanted was a new area for my grills in my backyard.  I have 0.12 acres here in Vegas, and 21 grills.  The back corner of my yard used to be these two honeysuckle vines, that just didn't add much to the yard, and collected leaves from the neighbor's trees.  So, I finally dug them out, capped the sprinklers, and then started a new FB Marketplace/OfferUp search: pavers.  Good lord, you think Weber grills go fast, wait till someone posts free or cheap pavers.  For a couple weeks I was outbid or was too slow to get any.  I put out an email to my co-workers asking if they had any, then a buddy of mine texted me to look at dump sites for new subdivisions in our area...and off I went on Saturday.  Lo and behold 10 minutes away was an ABUNDANCE of discarded pavers in a vacant lot that said "Concrete disposal site."  These were the nice pavestone pavers.  I filled up the back of the trusty Tucson, and set to work. 

Three trips back to the dump site later, with the help of my son who hauled everything to the backyard and brought me pieces as needed, and some constructive criticism from the lovely wife about how I laid out the bricks, it is finished.  Not perfect, but a big improvement.  And the best part, this was all done for free. 

For now, the vintage 26ers are going to be over there, along with a couple other grills.  This is nice as it clears out some space on the back patio (hopefully for a Meat Cut, Custom, or Westerner)  :).

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:21:17 PM by crowderjd »
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
Re: New grilling area
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 01:37:13 AM »
Looks great. 
I am a big fan of the cinder block walls that you see out west.
You don't find any of those here in flyover country.  I would be
particularly fond of having one of those about 20 feet high on the
north end of my property to avoid seeing one obnoxious, annoying
neighbor. 

fat-boy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 02:19:19 AM »
Looks awesome! I put up a gazebo last year and out can get really muddy over there. Finally got the ok from the wife to put pavers down! (Top hasn’t been put back on gazebo yet in pic. That is this weekend’s project)

fat-boy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 02:20:08 AM »
Apparently I don’t see how to post a pic in a reply. Oh well. Not missing much.[emoji23]🤣

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 04:35:38 AM »
Nice looking display/cooking area
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 04:43:26 AM »

I am a big fan of the cinder block walls that you see out west.
You don't find any of those here in flyover country.  I would be
particularly fond of having one of those about 20 feet high on the
north end of my property to avoid seeing one obnoxious, annoying
neighbor.

Ha! I hear ya - we call those "F-U walls/bushes/trees/tractor tires"
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 05:03:25 AM »
@Dave in KC I miss big, open, midwest yards.  Trust me, even though we have the walls, you hear and smell (weed) everything they're doing. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 06:08:31 AM »
Nice spot you've got there and nice looking display!  Nice score on the pavers too.....

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 06:22:28 AM »
Great work there!
And free too
I got my pavers (well used brick) for free too. The wife and I had to dig them out by hand from some giant pile, an old building they tore down years ago at a local college. PITA but totally worth it
Great job again, the grills look great over there!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »
@Dave in KC I miss big, open, midwest yards.  Trust me, even though we have the walls, you hear and smell (weed) everything they're doing.

@crowderjd, haha....and by weed, you mean a burn pile of weeds the neighbors pulled up while gardening, correct? 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 10:27:46 AM »
@WNC your area is what inspired me a long time ago.  Mine isn't nearly as big, but it's going to make a big difference. 

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
Thanks!
And I’ll tell you what, doing it yourself makes it all the more rewarding

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 11:56:59 AM »
Nice job Jason
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

SlickRockStones

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 12:33:51 PM »

I also would love a tall cinder block wall to block out my obnoxious “ able minded genius” t- shirt wearing next door unneighbor and his pos loud truck at 6am. Your bbq area looks like a peaceful area to relax.