Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another head shaker...  (Read 2898 times)

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Another head shaker...
« on: November 14, 2019, 06:57:10 AM »
I don't know if anyone has seen this YouTube video before, but it came up in my feed last night. Basically, it's a guy comparing the Weber MT Kettle to a Sam's Club Member's Mark kettle, and he makes a number of statements/actions that were mystifying, to say the least.  While I'm solidly in the Weber camp, I'm not above listening to someone's legitimate criticism of a product I use and think is good. But it's super irritating watching someone who doesn't know what they're doing make these kinds of comparison videos. In addition, I'm shocked at how the MM blatantly ripped off Weber in nearly every facet of its design. How is that legal? I guess that's why I'm not an attorney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnkuR9g8cw
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
Re: Another head shaker...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 07:23:04 AM »
I could only make it through 3 minutes... What a joke

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 07:25:10 AM »
The guy is a complete dumb ass.  Horrible review. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rc

• WKC Brave
Another head shaker...
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:29:35 AM »
Seen this video about a week ago. Don’t know about you guys, but the only thing his video proved to me was that he doesn’t know how to grill lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »
Attorney says:

Well our design is completely different.  See.. it has FOUR legs.  HUGE innovation.  [emoji14]

I mean comparing them to other products is just fine.  However I think if you are buying a standard kettle charcoal grill it would be silly to go with anything else unless you just demand it to be a new product and are on a very tight budget. 

Weber's design in that type of grill is just too solid and there is tons of 3rd party support for grill products on the 22.5 kettle. 

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »
What kills me is this guy has 430K subscribers so he's got some influence, and this kind of bad information only serves to reward inferior products.

There were two parts that just had me wanting to throw a shoe: 1) when he was unable to take the Weber ash catcher bucket off with one hand and 2) when he claimed he fussed with the vents but could never get the temp back up on the Weber after taking the lid off.  There were other eye roll moments, but these stuck out to me the most for being truly egregious.

I don't particularly enjoy calling people out as it can diverge into personal attacks in a hurry (which isn't cool), but this required an exception.

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
I watched until he kicked the kettles to show stability and decided that was enough.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 09:41:57 AM »
I completely agree that it is a garbage review, however, I will agree that the new style ash catchers with the squeeze handles are a MAJOR pain to take off.  More than the "taco" handle, that is my biggest gripe about the new style Webers. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
I remember seeing that video. When I just went to check it out, I had already disliked it lol. I watched it when I first started getting interested in getting a Weber and remember not liking much about the review.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
I watched until he kicked the kettles to show stability and decided that was enough.

Yes, that would rank as #3 on my list!

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
That video made me cry a little inside...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »
Ok, I was reading all the replies and thought, having two kettles, and no where near being an expert, I have to watch this video.  And I will watch with an open mind.  Well 1:22 into the video, even I realize the dude might not know what is going on when he points down to Weber's second shelf and says "it looks like a little cooling rack"!  Jack, you lost me at 1:22, and not in a good way!

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 08:56:04 PM »
At 1:19 the bottom vents are closed (you can see the silver ash sweeps thru the bottom vents.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:24:56 AM by 1spacemanspiff »
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 05:30:18 AM »
When there are so many great videos out there doing the lord's work on all things grilling, it's stunning to come across one of these clunkers. I'm still dumbfounded on how this guy has 430K subscribers.

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 05:40:10 AM »
Maybe he bought them all. Not sure how that works but I have heard that people can buy subs.