Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New big boy in the stable needing restoration  (Read 1285 times)

biddyK

• Smokey Joe
New big boy in the stable needing restoration
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
So...last week I picked up a used bike for my boy off of craigslist. While picking it up, I saw the neighbor has a black 26" in the carport. Later that night i saw the poster I bought the bike from had a curb alert for two more bikes for free. When I drove by the next AM, the bikes were gone but the neighbor with the weber was having a garage sale. The grill wasn't tagged. I asked if it was for sale he said yes $20 OBO. I never see 26" around here so I paid asking price immediately despite no wood on the handles. On the way to the truck I noticed 1 handle was coil metal, the other was bolted on, and once I emptied the ash, I saw the ash sweeps were missing despite the handle still being attached on this G code. I have replacwmnt sweeps that will work, just not period correct. Also, one leg bracket tab is cut, and there is a pinhole into the kettle at another bracket, and the front leg is bent (see pics).
I disassembled today and think it is salvageable. I've kept worse. My plan is to wire brush to bare metal on rusty areas of the bowl and lid. I will repaint around the leg sockets but oil up the lid and leave as is. I will also attempt to weld the broken tabs back on the bowl and if that fails JBWeld. My question is, what do you suggest for replacing the handles? A search for replacing handles just shows replacing the wood, not the metal too. I'm in on a used kettle with 3 wood handles in excellent shape I could cut off and scavenge for $25 (also pictured). Would you suggest riveting, bolting, or welding them to the frame? It is already bare metal at the handle attachments so no loss of porcelain. Thanks.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: New big boy in the stable needing restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
So...last week I picked up a used bike for my boy off of craigslist. While picking it up, I saw the neighbor has a black 26" in the carport. Later that night i saw the poster I bought the bike from had a curb alert for two more bikes for free. When I drove by the next AM, the bikes were gone but the neighbor with the weber was having a garage sale. The grill wasn't tagged. I asked if it was for sale he said yes $20 OBO. I never see 26" around here so I paid asking price immediately despite no wood on the handles. On the way to the truck I noticed 1 handle was coil metal, the other was bolted on, and once I emptied the ash, I saw the ash sweeps were missing despite the handle still being attached on this G code. I have replacwmnt sweeps that will work, just not period correct. Also, one leg bracket tab is cut, and there is a pinhole into the kettle at another bracket, and the front leg is bent (see pics).
I disassembled today and think it is salvageable. I've kept worse. My plan is to wire brush to bare metal on rusty areas of the bowl and lid. I will repaint around the leg sockets but oil up the lid and leave as is. I will also attempt to weld the broken tabs back on the bowl and if that fails JBWeld. My question is, what do you suggest for replacing the handles? A search for replacing handles just shows replacing the wood, not the metal too. I'm in on a used kettle with 3 wood handles in excellent shape I could cut off and scavenge for $25 (also pictured). Would you suggest riveting, bolting, or welding them to the frame? It is already bare metal at the handle attachments so no loss of porcelain. Thanks.

JB Weld won't hold up
to high heat. Might work if you make it a dedicated smoker though. Cool grill!

Sent from my VS996 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:09:13 AM »
I like that MBH on there lol.

If you know a good welder, they could weld the socked and handles on for you. Have them weld from the inside then use an angle grinder to get it smooth

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 04:38:55 AM »
Very nice res’que.  I especially love those older plastic 8” wheels.

I have a couple handles that may work for you, however they’re blue and green.  LMK if you can use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 05:04:45 AM »
Awesome find.  Old girl had a rough life but definitely worth saving.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 07:07:36 AM »
@AZ Monsoon, do you know for sure that JB Weld won't hold up?

The reason I ask if I once had a motorcycle where I broke a bolt & oil would leak out.  I wound up trying to use all sort of stuff that just couldn't withstand the heat from the engine, until I used JB Weld.  It held up to the heat.  It was suggested to me by a friend who had used it back in high school to mount a Cadillac carb on a Chevy, or vice versa, that did not quite fit.  I have no idea how hot either gets, but they do get pretty darn hot.

regards,
Hal

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 07:21:07 AM »
@AZ Monsoon, do you know for sure that JB Weld won't hold up?

The reason I ask if I once had a motorcycle where I broke a bolt & oil would leak out.  I wound up trying to use all sort of stuff that just couldn't withstand the heat from the engine, until I used JB Weld.  It held up to the heat.  It was suggested to me by a friend who had used it back in high school to mount a Cadillac carb on a Chevy, or vice versa, that did not quite fit.  I have no idea how hot either gets, but they do get pretty darn hot.

I really like JB Weld in general. Maybe this was a bad batch I used on a handle, or my prep wasn't good enough, but it didn't work on a handle I used it on. I noticed JB has an "Extremely High Heat" product out now. I was going to give Quiksteel a try next, but that brownie has been abandoned behind the shed for a few years.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 07:56:10 AM »
That is actually something I didn't think about.  On the handle or leg sockets, it will be subject to more stress than where I used it.  Perhaps to plug a pinhole or maybe as an attempt to strengthen leg sockets that somewhat reasonably solid might work better.
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »
An engine isnt as hot as a grill, maybe at the exhaust, but the coolant keeps the rest fairly cool.
I'm sure if you didnt get your kettle super hot it would work. I paid a welder 20 to fix my leg sockets on my first kettle, that I got for free

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
Car engine goes up to about 200f only.  No comparison.

biddyK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 07:42:18 PM »

I have a couple handles that may work for you, however they’re blue and green.  LMK if you can use them.

Thanks for the offer. I ended up grabbing the L code in the last pic today as a donor. Unfortunately the kettle is in great condition and I'll feel a bit guilty about scavenging from it, but the handles are pristine and it also has a nice set of ash sweeps with the thumb screw that will be period correct.

biddyK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »
Awesome find.  Old girl had a rough life but definitely worth saving.
It has a lot of character, that's for sure. Someone in the past really did their best to keep it functional. There were screws through the sockets to hold the legs in, in addition to the coiled strap handle fabrication.

biddyK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 07:55:21 PM »
JB weld will be a last resort attempt. I have access to a welder and an experienced user to oversee and instruct me on my attempts. In not sure that welding from the inside will be an option without cutting holes. I'm guessing they will be outside welds and then excessive use of an angle grinder to hide my ugly (but hopefully sound) welds.

biddyK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »

Oh, and I agree the wheels are cool. I didn't know the wheels were different on the 26ers.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 05:24:01 AM »
Just a thought:
Since the old girl had a rough life, is it worth trying to restore it so that her scars are invisible (welding handles, etc).
Would it be simpler to embrace the bruises and restore it in a way that is functional and sturdy, but the end result would appear as a FWW? (Frankenstein Weathered Warrior)
Personally, I think that would be BADASS, especially if you could find some old metal pieces that would work well as handles, or legs, or wheels. Then, attach those pieces with rugged bolts, washers, and nuts.
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.