Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New big boy in the stable needing restoration  (Read 1284 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: New big boy in the stable needing restoration
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 05:50:20 AM »

Very nice res’que.  I especially love those older plastic 8” wheels.

I have a couple handles that may work for you, however they’re blue and green.  LMK if you can use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Oh, and I agree the wheels are cool. I didn't know the wheels were different on the 26ers.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
These wheels weren’t specific to just the 26’ers, they were also used on Genesis gassers of the same period.  I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for a pair.

biddyK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »
Just a thought:
Since the old girl had a rough life, is it worth trying to restore it so that her scars are invisible (welding handles, etc).
Would it be simpler to embrace the bruises and restore it in a way that is functional and sturdy, but the end result would appear as a FWW? (Frankenstein Weathered Warrior)
Personally, I think that would be BADASS, especially if you could find some old metal pieces that would work well as handles, or legs, or wheels. Then, attach those pieces with rugged bolts, washers, and nuts.
I like your thinking. The scars definitely will never be invisible. I like the creases, dents and bumps on the lid. I just want to ensure that the structural problems on the bowl are dealt with to ensure that it will cook as long as I'm willing & able to cook on it.  I don't want to, nor will I be able to, hide the hard knock life of this grill. Even if I weld handles and sockets back on, it will be for function not beauty.  I need to brainstorm alternative handle ideas now.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 09:14:10 AM »

Just a thought:
Since the old girl had a rough life, is it worth trying to restore it so that her scars are invisible (welding handles, etc).
Would it be simpler to embrace the bruises and restore it in a way that is functional and sturdy, but the end result would appear as a FWW? (Frankenstein Weathered Warrior)
Personally, I think that would be BADASS, especially if you could find some old metal pieces that would work well as handles, or legs, or wheels. Then, attach those pieces with rugged bolts, washers, and nuts.
I like your thinking. The scars definitely will never be invisible. I like the creases, dents and bumps on the lid. I just want to ensure that the structural problems on the bowl are dealt with to ensure that it will cook as long as I'm willing & able to cook on it.  I don't want to, nor will I be able to, hide the hard knock life of this grill. Even if I weld handles and sockets back on, it will be for function not beauty.  I need to brainstorm alternative handle ideas now.

Check out some of the coiled wire handles on this page. They have bolt on and weld on options.
https://bbqsmokersupply.com/handles.html

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.