Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Large charcoal grill ?  (Read 749 times)

Bennyalue

• Happy Cooker
Large charcoal grill ?
« on: May 21, 2019, 03:02:26 AM »
Besides a 26" Kettle ( too small) and a Weber Ranch ( too expensive) what other large charcoal grills are out there. I work at a non profit 90 drug counseling center and the kitchen grills once a month. They have been renting rectangle open grills about 60" long x 20-24" wide but they are shalllow and have no charcoal grate so ash chokes coals and drippings cause big flare ups with no lid. The kitchen staff wants the facility to buy something about that size but better with a lid. They feed about 60-70 a day at lunch an 100 at Dinner so they'll grill 300 hotdogs or 70-100 hamburger plus 100 dogs or like today - 100 chicken qtrs. Took 3 loads of the grill. Being Non profit they are Poor so big grills from Lonestar grills or Pitmaker or such is too expensive. Any suggestions ?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Large charcoal grill ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:37:18 AM »
55 gallon barrels cut in half long ways and hinged has always been the go to for inexpensive large grills. You might need to make a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Large charcoal grill ?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
@Bennyalue , check with a local weber dealer and see if you can get them to donate all or a good portion of the cost of the grill... I had a local true value donate a 22 for a raffle to raise money for an injured employee. They'll just say no, not shoot you, worth a shot.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:24:11 PM »
@Bennyalue , check with a local weber dealer and see if you can get them to donate all or a good portion of the cost of the grill... I had a local true value donate a 22 for a raffle to raise money for an injured employee. They'll just say no, not shoot you, worth a shot.

Well, that is unless the Weber dealer is the one that won that .22 :P

Oh, you meant *THAT* kind of 22 :D
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:41:32 PM »
Where are you located Bennyalue?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »
   Your best bet is to check Craigslist on a regular basis for free gas and charcoal grills.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

JPotter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 05:24:43 PM »
You need a used ranch for a couple hundred bucks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JPotter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »
Somebody's got to be willing to donate

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 02:54:38 AM »
@Bennyalue where are you located, maybe there is a member willing to loan you a ranch, you are welcome to borrow both of mine if you are close to Atlanta,GA. I know they are looking to purchase something but in the meantime it may be an option
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill