Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A couple of cooks  (Read 443 times)

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
A couple of cooks
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »
Hi all,

I am not the best with my pics.  I am starting to get the hang of this charcoal cooking thing, and really loving it.  I do not have many pictures, and the pictures are not that great, but loving the food coming from the pit. 

On Sunday I grilled off a couple of skirt steaks, green and yellow zucchini and bi-color corn.  For the skirts I marinated in a commercial "zesty and tangy" marinade, for the zucchini I drizzle with a little EVOO, a commercial shallot pepper seasoning, and a little paprika.  On the corn I brush a little ghee, harissa blend seasoning and zaatar seasoning to give a nice mid-eastern flavor.  In the plated picture, the disc in the middle is a kale and quinoa cake from our local Wegmans Supermarket, topped with Tabasco Sirachia sauce.

Today was a brined bone in loin pork chop.  I use a simple 3-4 hour brine of water, salt, brown sugar, honey, 10-15 pepper corns, a couple of dried bay leaf and a can of ginger beer.  After 3-4 hours, rinse the chops with cold water, pat dry and season with your favorite rub.  I use a combination of a rub from a local BBQ guy here in NJ (yes, there are a few), and Webers Chili Lime Rub.  the combo with the brine and ginger beer is outstanding.  Corn was prepared the same way as above, and looking at the the plate is a left over squash spear from Sunday.  Broccoli and cauliflower were roasted in the oven with olive oil, and a few seasonings.   

All I can say is I am glad I found the charcoal life, it is great getting the fire started, smelling the charcoal burning (I do use a chimney to start the coals), and cooking great food.  I do have to admit I used my Genesis for cooking scallops last night, and my pellet grill for a long smoke a few days ago, but really loving cooking on my two kettles.  (Hope to add an Ivory to the arsenal soon.)  Wife just booked the family for a cruise vacation, so might need some help on how I justify to her "another, this time pretty looking" grill....hahaha. 

griz400

• WKC Brave
Re: A couple of cooks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 02:40:19 AM »
A plus ... very nice Q ..............

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A couple of cooks
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 02:51:14 AM »
Good looking cook, as for the Ivory and permission? just bring the Ivory home she will love. I just added an Ivory sj to go with my 22 and 18 and the wife loves them all
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill