Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newer model OT Platinum  (Read 5120 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Newer model OT Platinum
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 05:59:26 AM »
I ordered the parts for fix the lid holder about $25 so that brings the price to $115, still OK with it if I had known that it was going to be $25 I would have talked the seller down a little.

I have owned performers in the past and I think I am in agreement, the lid holder gets in the way, I will have to see once I get the lid holder in place if I like this better.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:01:03 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »
$25 -- is that essentially the lid bale kit the other One Touch models can use, or ?

What happened to whatever came with this one?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 06:34:48 AM »
$25 -- is that essentially the lid bale kit the other One Touch models can use, or ?

What happened to whatever came with this one?

Moron let a friend BBQ and most likely used an entire bag of coal because they were melted.

I think this lid bale is a little different than one on a performer, We'll see.

I still think $115 is not bad for this grill with a cover and unused charcoal holders.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 06:37:21 AM »
After you have done some cooks on it....if you are keeping it.....you will find that the placement of the handle and the moving of the lid up and back is easier if you want to tend to the meat as you are lifting the lid....if that makes any sense. If you hate the way a vertical smoker lid with a hinge works then there is no way you will like this type of lid setup but since I never cook without the lid on the grill ....even when I do burgers or dogs etc. I just leave the lid up and out of the way....I find it very useful. When I rotisserie, I have a standard  lid that I use and It is a pain to remove the lid as far as I am concerned but like I said if you hate this type of design nothing I say will change your mind. And....before anyone gets on here and complains about the placement of the top vent ....don't. I will argue with anyone who says that it doesn't work as good as the vent placement on a standard lid when smoking. Since most of the stuff I cook is at least reverse sear or outright smoking , the color and bark , smoke rings etc. will match with any done on a kettle with a standard lid. As far as the thermometer goes ....I know that these kind of thermometers are not considered reliable or accurate but if you know what you are dealing with you can use them with great results. These are the same thermometers that they have on the golds as far as I know and the placement is the same. If you know that the temp at the top of the dome is not the same as grate level you are half way there. The first thing I did when I got mine was check the temp at grate level and compare it to the lid temp. There was a difference of about 50 degrees. So they are not accurate but mine is constantly inaccurate....so some simple math tells me the temp at grate level. I don't do any food prep at the grill, so the side tables are not used for that but I do use them for trays utensils etc. If I did food prep at the grill I would prefer the single bigger table that other models have, or I would most likely just have a seperate table set up.  There.....that was my rant for the One Touch Platinum.  I don't know where all the bad rap for these models came from....probably the original price....but when I went down to Lowe's to get me a Weber, I had never seen one of these before.....the main reason I got it aside from the huge discount that I got was the sturdy frame. I wanted a Weber with an ash catcher and I wanted one that was not on three legs since we do get a LOT of wind here. They did not have a Perfomer there so I did not have a chance to see one before I bought mine, but I was looking for that model without the gas lighter.....I bought this model and would highly recomend it to any Weber Q-er!
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »
Nice rant - I will have to see how it works out after I get the parts from Weber and actually use it.  I do like the look of it, it is a kettle with the feel of a larger grill with the size of the cart and the way it opens.

I am excited to use it for the first time....

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 06:53:10 AM »

"Nice rant"........+1........

Some may also not like the astethics, the "look" of this rig, also, but to each their own........

I personally think the vent position would work better than the average bear for slow smoke, as you're not jumping the vent around to avoid being right over the burn.......all points equal, in other words.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »
LOL I had to scroll up to my last post to make sure I hadn't actually said anything about the top vent. But yeah I was wondering about it. It's always good to learn of these firsthand experiences; they trump rumors and idle speculation anyway. Thanks OTP.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
I looked up the grill on Amazon... This one actually says it somes with the hinged SS grates. So the more expensive Performer doesn't come with the SS but the cheaper version coems with the SS grates??? WTF?

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 07:24:22 AM »
I looked up the grill on Amazon... This one actually says it somes with the hinged SS grates. So the more expensive Performer doesn't come with the SS but the cheaper version coems with the SS grates??? WTF?

simple marketing and profit margin. 
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM