Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newer model OT Platinum  (Read 5110 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Newer model OT Platinum
« on: June 09, 2013, 05:51:17 PM »

Well, I have somewhat resisted getting one of these.  I don't like the lid setup for one but it was on CL with a brand new set of charcoal holders and cover for $90 so I did it.  What I do like is the cart, I am not able to put my craycorts in them and clean them without making the kettle wobble all over the place like a 3 legged one.

I am going to have to call weber and get a couple of new slide aside rollers, the person who had it previously let a friend use it and probably used an entire bag of charcoal because they were all melted.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Newer model OT Platinum
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 06:02:53 PM »
There was one locally not long ago with a cover for $100.  I had to resist like there's no tomorrow, but I probably shoulda grabbed it. 
If they'd use that style frame for a 26"er, I'd be on it!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »
I think they have a bummed wrap around here, I wanted to see what others thought.  The lid is definitely going to be different.

It is much taller than a regular kettle.  Should be interesting.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
I make a wood handle for this grill if your interested....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Not sure this will be a long term keep.

BTW Brian, amazing job on the one for the mid 60's grill.  I am painting the wheels at present but soon I will be putting it back together.  I can't wait it is going to look fantastic.  I will post pics when it is done.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »
I'll stay with the single table style thanks.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 06:48:20 PM »
You will get used to the lid in a hurry. As long as you don't need to take the lid off completely....lifting it back is very simple and maybe even a more natural motion. I love mine and the sturdy stand is the main reason I got it.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »
Nice score for what's probably a pretty rare model. The lid is the thing I find most interesting about this model. I've never seen one with the lid positioned back and can imagine the lid gets out of the way best of all the kettles save maybe the Ranch. And I do like the wide handle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 07:04:49 PM »
You will get used to the lid in a hurry. As long as you don't need to take the lid off completely....lifting it back is very simple and maybe even a more natural motion. I love mine and the sturdy stand is the main reason I got it.

I was hoping One Touch Platinum was going to post on my post about a One Touch Platinum.    :D

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Newer model OT Platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
Nice score! I'm still kicking myself for missing a maroon like this for $75 a few weeks ago. I love the cart!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 07:21:57 PM »

I was hoping One Touch Platinum was going to post on my post about a One Touch Platinum.    :D

We need staunch proponents of each and every type and style, color & era.....this is a good thing..... :)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
I have nothing of value to add but can not resist saying that I can not stand these things.  I think that is the " bum wrap" LB mentioned, but it is just personal preference in the end.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »
Hi LB! Be proud of your grill! It sure it will last a long time with care and can produce just as good food with the rest of the weber lineup. Given the choice, I'd much rather have that OTP than a regular gold, but when releases the OTP was $$$$. I think that's the biggest reason why they get a bad rap. They were basically selling it for close to performer money.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Newer model OT Platinum
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:14 AM »
 Personally, after using the performer and having to get used to the sideways position of the lid when "out of the way", I wish that they had designed the performer like the OTP. 

Like others on here, I missed buying one on CL. 

You have a great grill and it should serve you well for many years !
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 04:53:19 AM »
I like that handle position much better to be honest. Looks great and I would snag one at that price. Though this is the first time I've ever seen one of those!