Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie Red Aristocrat Questions  (Read 3461 times)

Liebenator

• Smokey Joe
Newbie Red Aristocrat Questions
« on: November 30, 2018, 04:57:41 AM »
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Scored a red aristocrat last night from letgo, not that the wife was happy about it but I digress.  Anyways, from my limited observation it seems like most of these vintage kettles never really made it to the south (Charlotte, NC) so I was in shock when I saw the post and was able to get it. 

I've read through forums so I have an idea on some things do but have a few other questions: 

Is there any way to nail down its actual age?  It is a patent pending 69-72 vintage, but the wheels were replaced with generic lawn/garden ones, will try the magnets to see what kind of legs I've got.

The legs keep falling out when moving, is there a trick to locking them in?

Big fan of the slow & sear (SNS) but the distance between the coal grate and grill grate seems to be narrower, will any model of SNS fit in there?

On these vintage kettles, aside from general child abuse - what causes the porcelain to chip over time?  I ask because the lady who sold it to me said her dad loved and took care of it, so I doubt  he was beating on it.

I know that painting the exposed metal on the kettle typically doesn't work out, but has anyone tried the high heat enamel with ceramic paint?  I used it on my 97 redhead gasser (only along the edge of hood covered by the end caps and other spots along the edge which were exposed) and it seems to be holding up fine. 

This will be my 6th Weber (97 Genesis, 03 Gold, 09 Performer, 22 WSM & WeberQ) I am so looking forward to cleaning her up and taking it for a spin this weekend!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Newbie Red Aristocrat Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 05:13:16 AM »
Scored a red aristocrat last night from letgo, not that the wife was happy about it but I digress. 

Oh man, I'm so sorry. Look, the best course of action is to box it up and send it to me so that everything stay's "cool" with you and the Mrs.  ;D

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 05:32:25 AM »
I have included some answers in bold.

I've read through forums so I have an idea on some things do but have a few other questions: 

Is there any way to nail down its actual age?  It is a patent pending 69-72 vintage, but the wheels were replaced with generic lawn/garden ones, will try the magnets to see what kind of legs I've got.

There are a few historians here than can possibly help to pin it down a little more. Hopefully they can chime in.

The legs keep falling out when moving, is there a trick to locking them in?

There are a few non-invasive ways and few invasive ways. Some people use anything ranging  from foil, foil tape, dowels all the way to glue and screws --which are not generally recommended (yes I have seen a PP kettle that had a wooden dowel, glued into the leg tube, and attached with a screw to the socket). 

Big fan of the slow & sear (SNS) but the distance between the coal grate and grill grate seems to be narrower, will any model of SNS fit in there?

No, you need the "low profile" SNS. You could also make a "Marty basket" or use a Snake/Fuse burn in there.

On these vintage kettles, aside from general child abuse - what causes the porcelain to chip over time?  I ask because the lady who sold it to me said her dad loved and took care of it, so I doubt  he was beating on it.

Heat. Expansion and contraction causes  issues with the porcelain like "pops" and crazing.

I know that painting the exposed metal on the kettle typically doesn't work out, but has anyone tried the high heat enamel with ceramic paint? 

I used it once to touch up a kettle. I personally wouldn't do it again and wouldn't recommend it. I'd just live with it. Color BBQ's experience this so much more than the standard black ones.

This will be my 6th Weber (97 Genesis, 03 Gold, 09 Performer, 22 WSM & WeberQ) I am so looking forward to cleaning her up and taking it for a spin this weekend!

Congrats!

Liebenator

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:38:52 AM »
I told her I could be like my brothers who buy old sailboats and park them in their yards for years working on them, not sure if she appreciated that......!

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 05:46:38 AM »
Post some pictures. That will help others age it for you.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 06:26:01 AM »
First off welcome and congratulations on your new to you kettle.   My wife tolerates my kettle buying if we had the money and was a decent deal, now i am more just looking for one type of grill and that is an 18" Platinum so....

Oh and picture are nice too!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
As for the age...all depends on the wheels. If Pat Pending, 69-late 70 early 71 would have steel wheels with rubber tread. Late 71-72 changed to plastic wheels with rubber tread. As far as the enamel chipping goes, typically they pop around the grate strap welds because that’s the weakest point and most exposed to high heat. If crazing...means the owner left charcoal in the bowl for extended periods of time without cleaning. Any other chips would most likely come from dropping the lid, or something falling on it.

SNS...dunno, never used one. Don’t really see a point to it for $150 I’d rather have another sweet vintage grill. However, @troy is extremely familiar with them and loves them, so he can most likely guide you.

Also, high temp engine enamel paint holds up very well, but I’ll warn you. If you’re ever going to trade or sell her, you might not want to paint...some collectors will not, I reiterate, will not trade nor purchase a grill that has been tampered with. With saying that, a lot will.

Your legs should have a key slot on one side, line those key slots up with the key slot in the sockets...most likely your legs are out of round, you can use a wrench to get them back to round. Do not drill holes, or insert any screws into the leg sockets. There is a video on YouTube by Bertl that shows you how to fix the legs very easily...or...any legs with the grooves will work...from 22” as well...all the same. The only difference is the triangle.

https://youtu.be/WSlLg-tAQPs

Hope this helps! Sweet score. Please post pics! Also, join us on our Facebook group Weber Kettle Club GrillGiants if you haven’t already! [emoji1303] -GrillOn Brother [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:34:42 AM by GrillGiant »
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on scoring an Aristocrat.

LOOSE LEG FIXES

I have found switching out the two rear legs sometimes solves the loose leg issue.  You have to remove the wheels otherwise you'll end up with the triangle upside down.  For resizing the legs, I use needle nose pliers and place the tips inside the leg, pulling the handles apart.  This stretches and reforms the leg back to a round shape.  If those two methods fail, my go to fix is using the HVAC tape around the legs.  Sometimes takes a couple of attempts to get the right amount to use.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-89-in-x-50-yd-322-Multi-Purpose-HVAC-Foil-Tape-1207792/100030120?AID=11210757&PID=6153228&SID=iq8tnjp9nb00odvp001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6153228-_-11210757&cj=true&irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-27795-456723-

WHICH SNS IS BEST FOR AN ARISTOCRAT

@ABCbarbecue  is a member of the Forum.  I have tagged them and they would be the best source to answer your question as to which model is best for a vintage 26".

PAINT REPAIR FOR LOST PORCELAIN

I use #0000 steel wool to remove all the rust from any bare metal, then apply olive oil to the metal with a Q tip.  Once the kettle is heated, it cures the oil into the metal and helps prevent rust from returning.  It comes down to personal preference as to painting a kettle.  I look at porcelain damage as character or badges of honor.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

jiveturkey1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 01:33:35 AM »
Congratulations. You own one of the coolest vintage Webers made, imo. Pictures please

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 04:43:40 AM »
pictures or it didnt happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Liebenator

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 08:51:44 AM »
You guys are making me feel like a college girl on reddit, ok let me take some pics.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:18 AM »
Very cool pick up. Yes, we love pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:15:08 AM by bladz »

Liebenator

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
Nothing glamorous as I haven't done anything to it yet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Liebenator

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
More

[attachment deleted by admin]

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 12:38:56 PM »
   Hell, you might as well tell us about the car. ☺

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.