Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taking your Weber goodness to go. How do you do it?  (Read 1991 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Taking your Weber goodness to go. How do you do it?
« on: September 20, 2018, 06:36:38 AM »
I know I am not the only one here that finds public park grills gross. And insufficient for proper grilling and BBQ. So what is your solution for bringing your Weber goodness along with you while traveling, tailgating, or just picknicking for an afternoon at the city park?

For me, It came down to, a long time ago I opted for a Smokey Joe. Started off with a Smokey Joe Gold. At least I think it was labelled that way. It was about 2005 or so and the grill was the Smokey Joe with the big wire bail that clamped the lid shut in transit (VERY nice) but it had the same legs, daisy wheel, and ash pan configuration as my 2010 Smokey Joe Silver.  I hadn't yet discovered charcoal chimneys, but I had decided lighter fluid was a bad thing, so I was lighting the charcoal using dry deadfall like leaves, or pine straw, and twigs, building basically a small campfire in the mini kettle and building it up to where I was adding charcoals and then getting them going. It was time consuming, but it worked. I have recently seen another guy on Youtube doing the same thing but with newspaper under the charcoal grate... 

That poor grill bounced around the back of my truck with camping gear, and giant coolers, etc.. until about deer season 2009, when it suffered a bit of abuse that I thought killed it. I had no idea replacement parts were available for these so it went to the recycler. I had a cooler with a big quartered buck come loose from the cargo straps and slam into the grill crushing the legs of the grill...

Had I known then what I know now, I would have saved that little guy. But live and learn right?

Anyway its replacement, because again I didn't know any better that there were different models of Smokey Joe, and I had yet to see a Charcoal Go Anywhere Grill in any stores, I went with a Smokey Joe Silver from everyones less than favorite mass retailer based in Arkansas. It was affordable, it did what I wanted it to do, and most importantly it was portable...

Now with a truck camper being planned for and put on order, I am losing the bed space in my truck. With that same said truck camper being an 8' and my truck a 6.5' bed, the tailgate must be down, thus no hitch haul ability for me. So I dug here, with you fine folks for suggestions. And got the issue solved.

I went with the Weber padded Smokey Joe carrry bag to help keep the inside of the camper nice and clean. I found that the compact charcoal starter will fit inside the Smokey Joe for transit.  (Both still pending delivery from Amazon... delayed due to the hurricane?) Anyway, I have the following set up in mind since I will have some dead air space in the bag.

Compact charcoal chimney, cooking grate and charcoal grate inside Smokey Joe with lid closed. A Sunday paper, and 2 long nose lighters inside the bag on and around the SJ legs. Using a Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy from my local Lowes to carry / keep charcoal dry.

So what's your on the go rig look like? Carry your 26 on a hitch haul? Using a CGA? How do you pack it so that everything is as space efficient and protected as possible?
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Taking your Weber goodness to go. How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »
I don't find public park grills gross and insufficient for grilling, yes you can't really barbeque on them but for a grill you can lower and raise the grate and make a gradual heating zone from hot to less hot.  If you preheat the grill and use a good brush the heat should kill whatever is lingering.

I had a Smokey Joe Gold and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough after my first cook on the Charcoal Go-Anywhere.  The SJG doesn't really give you any indirect zone and doesn't "breathe" well enough IMO with the lid on while cooking.  I think the SJ silver is pointless, who wants a tiny ash tray to rely on and empty after cooking?  The CGA is more compact and packs much better than an SJ, you can store the mini chimney in the grill with the grates and some fuel.

Some will point to the Outrider and while yes you get an 18" grate, IMO it takes up a lot of space as a portable grill.  2 CGAs give you more capacity than an Outrider and IMO will pack better when going on a trip.  I don't have an "on the go rig" as if we are going to go to a park and cook I'll usually just take some charcoal and grill on their stuff. 

IMO you'd be much better off finding a used CGA and trying it out, you can grill or barbeque indirect and the thing just sips charcoal.  Also, grills are pretty tough so I don't worry about wrapping in a blanket or carry bag, the protection needed is minimal (unless you are taking a CGA or SJG that is a rare color).

I'm not a truck owner yet and I've never owned or used a truck camper but I'd assume you don't really lose the bed space right?  Are you able to pack gear in the truck camper in the bed of the truck or are you limited to the space up in the cab?  The charcoal kaddy is a good idea for a longer trip, I may get one just to keep on the back patio to save trips going to the garage for fuel.

I just did some searching on the seller sites in your area and there are no CGAs to be had which really sucks.  I was selling a NOS CGA a few weeks ago listed here on the forums but it's gone now.  There are some GGAs on the seller sites if you wanted to go the propane route.  I think if I were going camping I'd pack a GGA for quick cooks and take some cast iron to do some camp fire cooking.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »
Any Ace hardware can have any Weber product shipped to store for free.
Kilgore's should be able to help.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 08:06:22 AM »
Well, to start on some agreement, a CGA is definately on the short list, but I absolutely refuse to grill / barbecue with propane / petrolium products. Some things are best done with a wood / charcoal based fire... The advantages of a CGA are many, but when local sellers just don't carry them, and online vendors have them for twice the price of a Smokey Joe that I already own, I find it easier to justify spending $20.00 for a carry bag vs. $50.00 for a new grill... Its a matter of perceived value for me. A CGA in my mind has the same $$ value as a Smokey Joe Silver. And I simply won't pay more for a CGA than a SJS... I know the CGA has advantages, so does the SJS... (round kettle distributes heat / convection more efficiently etc...). But again, I am watching sales, and used listings...

Like I mentioend above, when I bought my first, and second Smokey Joe, I had no idea CGAs existed, only thing I had ever seen are the cheap, throw away Chinese copies of the CGA, and even those don't seem to be around my area much any more.

I was in Oregon about 2 months ago, I should have gotten one when I was there. Fred Meyers has them.... :-P.

Other than it's not collapsible like the CGA, which I agree, they aren't super space efficient, I have to disagree with you on the utility of a Smokey Joe. At least the ones with the daisy wheel on the bottom. At least mine have both breathed well. The design of the more recent gold with those flaps up on the sides of the bowl seems counterintuitive. The idea behind the tiny ash pan is it is sufficient to catch what is going to leak out in use. Once the grill is cooled just tip it up and dump the ash out. No problem.

Indirect is easy as pie with a Smokey Joe, just like a Jumbo Joe, or a 22" or a 26" or... It's just a matter of scale. And like the CGA the Smokey Joe when used properly, is very conservative with the amount of chacoal it uses. To do indirect. I take a smaller than the ones I use in my 22" aluminum catch pan, and just do the same thing I do in the 22 by banking, and filling the catch pan 50% with water, apple juice, sliced onion etc... You can also snake it, or, well use the method of your choice. Just scale it to fit the smaller kettle.

I have 2 words RE: gross public grills... Bird Poop. Enough said. I don't care how much heat you apply, unless the metal is brought back to molten and recast, I am not going to trust the bird droppings aren't totally gone.

On the Truck Camper I believe you may be thinking camper shell. Not the same thing. I am talking about a slide in truck camper. As in a full camper, living space and all that slides into the bed of the truck, not a camper shell that clamps on to the bed rails and simply provides a coverd lockable storage in the bed of the truck.

https://www.eurekacamper.com/camper-models/slideinn-truck-camper/

It utilizes the entire bed of the truck, has a bed, a dinette, a tiny kitchen and a place for a portable toilet. The model we are ordering has some options not listed on their website. A 48" cabover sleeper with slide out for a queen mattress, a 54" wide dinette booth, and we are waiting for confirmation of if we can get heated / electrically pumped water in the slide in camper. (They offer it on their compact trailers). And because we are going with this on a half ton truck, I have to be picky about weight of materials. Cabinet doors are being optioned in made from Cedar as it is considerably lighter and more water / bug resistant than the standard MDF doors.

I don't want the grill to smack around and damage the cabinetry, OR any corners of anything snagging upholstery hence the padded bag.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
Any Ace hardware can have any Weber product shipped to store for free.
Kilgore's should be able to help.

PM sent RE: Kilgores... Decades of history there...Kind of made me laugh.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
I have an SJ that I used to take with us on our cottage trips, but now my go to "portable" is my greenie 18" kettle (EZ code, 1998). More room to cook for 4 people. To pack it, I take the leg assembly off, fold it up and tuck it behind the seat. Bag the grates and tuck them behind the seat. Place the mini chimney and ash pan in the bowl and bungee the lid to the base. Bag that assembly. Fits real nice in the back of my Jeep. Luv that green thang! And yes, it gets a thorough cleaning between trips. :-)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:38:43 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 12:15:07 PM »
Just toss in trunk and go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »
JEBIV,  do you have any issues with Ash or soot getting all over everything the way you're carrying that?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »
First time taking her out, I brought a 55 gal trash bag to put around her for the trip home, I'll let you know how that works out LOL

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »

First time taking her out, I brought a 55 gal trash bag to put around her for the trip home, I'll let you know how that works out LOL

Just tossed in the trunk like some common grill [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 04:24:26 PM »
This CGA lives in my trunk (well, cargo area) fully stocked with a mini chimney, a couple cook’s worth of KBB, some wood chunks, & a bunch of tools. I can’t say I use it frequently enough to justify it being there full time, but you never know when the perfect opportunity for a BBQ will pop up & nobody’ll have necessary equipment. With this kit, all you need to add is meat! (Or marshmallows. It’s been utilized a few times for a pop-up s’mores party for the kids.) Oh yeah, and my warning sticker on back so everyone knows I’m packin’. 🥩

-Jed
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:45:43 PM by Jed.cook »
-Jed

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 08:36:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/gHJ9msQa81w

So a quick run through of my set up now stashed in the trunk and ready to go. I simply need to set up a quick set of spatula tongs etc and carriers from them to toss in with it but I've met I'm ready to go. For what it's worth I've got the camp chairs the 10th the weather camp stove and a few other camping items stashed in the trunk I am ready to go in a whim.

Bob_McBob

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:10 PM »
I had a get together on Saturday and actually bought a Jumbo Joe to take, but decided to pack up my MT instead. Good choice since a couple extra people turned up. It was surprisingly easy to disassemble and pack in the car. I'm a little bummed the legs are now loose, but I gather I can tighten them up with either the broom handle or tape methods, so I wouldn't have any qualms about taking it with me again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:25:46 PM by Bob_McBob »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 03:21:25 AM »
I don’t have a picture handy, but if I’m going on a day trip, I take my normal height 18” kettle. It fits perfect standing up in our pilot. There is tie down hooks back there so I use two bungees to secure it across the top.  Works great and I don’t have to do any assembly. If space is limited then I take the go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 05:53:44 AM »
 8)