Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got snaked recently, but not today...yet..my brownie Wood Dale Sequoia  (Read 1206 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Do I get to join the Wood Dale mob, since I met the seller of this Sequoia in Wood Dale, IL?  For now, I'll call this my Wood Dale Sequoia.

The bowl is a replacement, perhaps the H code lid is too, as the bowl has handles, not the tabs that you see on Sequoias.  One touch sweep is frozen in place & was missing charcoal grate.  Obviously, it's been painted & some paint fell on the wheels.

Cart seems solid.  The discoloration in some pics is not rot, like I feared, but is the finish below where the paint wore off.  Doors are on both sides (saw one in maybe LaGrange last year that was missing them on one side, maybe someone here got it).  When I saw the one last year online, I noticed the hardware was a slightly different style than the hardware for one I previously saw on here, so I cropped a photo that might show the hardware a bit better on this one.  I wonder if it changed by year or maybe kettle color?  I'll try to get better closeups of the hardware for those that are interested.

It has the two rings on one end (I belive someone mentioned for towels) & there are two little metal things on the other end that look like something is missing from.  I'll have to check around on photos of ones here, just to see what might be missing from that side.  The ashpan holder & ashpan were inside & in good shape.

Guess I bought myself another project that I'll get to eventually (paint stripping). 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:33:20 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Got snaked recently, but not today...yet..my brownie Wood Dale Sequoia
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »
Nice
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »

Will make you an honorary member of the mob. Picking up a classic kettle in Wood Dale qualifies. Well, that and it's likely the Stephen Dane lifted his leg on the cart before it left the factory - maybe that explains the discoloration.  ::)

By the way, the two other metal things are for hanging the lid. The lid handle should fit right over them. Enjoy the Restore!

Marty

By the other way, maybe this was a "Cardinal" from the factory? (Red painted cart with a black kettle.) I don't think we've ever recorded an actual Cardinal in the club yet. Maybe this is the first? Might want to check into that before stripping the paint.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:07:32 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
I was thinking the same thing @56MPG about the cardinal, also the honorary membership is warranted I believe. When we were traveling to Chicago Tami saw a sign that said Wood Dale exit and asked "Is that the same Wood Dale?" LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks @56MPG & @JEBIV.  I had read about the Cardinal ones during the day I had to wait for the seller to be available for pickup, but I had not really thought it might be one, so I appreciate the suggestion. I'll take a look to see what is under outermost coat of paint. Because some of it splattered on the wheels, I know at least the outermost coat was added. I'll inspect the bottom & other areas they likely skipped as I'm guessing that is where it will be the most telling.  I inspect it that closely, but got the impression that there was another finish underneath that was more of a stain instead of paint. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:49:24 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 03:19:03 PM »
I heard from Mike Kempster at Weber that there were three or four cart suppliers during the Sequoia years, and many were shipped raw with instructions for the owner to stain or paint. I wonder how many owners even bothered to do that? Cardinal or not, Sequoias are cool.
Retired

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Did you get this on FB Marketplace?

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »
Of course George Stephen had a market he stopped in for meat and beer on on the way home after work like the rest of us do.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:59:09 PM by Bodhi »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
Does your family own the market or is it just a local market you like?   ;)  Just wondering.  If it is your family's, I'd stop by it when I'm in the area.  Might also check it out if it is just one you like.

Of course George Stephen had a market he stopped in for meat and beer on on the way home after work like the rest of us do.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:45:02 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I heard from Mike Kempster at Weber that there were three or four cart suppliers during the Sequoia years, and many were shipped raw with instructions for the owner to stain or paint. I wonder how many owners even bothered to do that? Cardinal or not, Sequoias are cool.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »
Yes, although the price wasn't actually mentioned in the ad if you had happened to see the ad.  If you compare the pics, you can see it was not the $1000 one that eventually went down in price to $500 that someone posted about earlier this month. 

Did you get this on FB Marketplace?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:01:13 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 06:50:40 PM »
I wonder if my wife will notice if I sneak it in the house, put a flat screen inside the doors, throw something over the grill on top & claim it is a console type tv.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »

By the way, the two other metal things are for hanging the lid. The lid handle should fit right over them. Enjoy the Restore!

I just have two tiny pieces of metal there that I don't believe can hold the lid, so I think something is missing from that end.  I'll search Sequoias on here till I find out what it should look like. 
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 08:53:38 PM »

It looks like they are kind of like hooks based on this crop from pic of @mcgolden's Sequoia.  The hook portions of mine are broken off, leaving just the small piece of metal that fastens the hook to the table.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 07:52:30 AM »
Thanks, again, @56MPG & @JEBIV for mentioning the possibility of a cardinal.  NOW, you have me excited.  I was in my truck all day yesterday & only got a chance to briefly look at the bottom & the insides in decent light this morning (briefly) when taking it out & "hiding" it before going to work.  I'll have to take more time to look at it more closely as there appear to be several layers of reds to see what the bottom layer actually is.  Sounds like wife & kids may be gone on Saturday, if they are, I should know more then.

On another note, my hardware has that kind of southwest motif sort of thing going on like this crop of @harris92's 1969 Sequoia (which also gives a decent side view of the hooks that are broken off mine).  I'll have to figure out what I can do there (if anything), because I doubt anyone will be "parting out" a Sequoia (but you never know).

On a major plus, I am having fun searching Sequoias and looking at all the pics.
regards,
Hal