Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Did Generation 1 Performer come with stainless sweeps?  (Read 960 times)

GJR

• Happy Cooker
Did Generation 1 Performer come with stainless sweeps?
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
Hello all- I just bought a first generation Performer and I'm in the process of cleaning it up. The sweeps are actually in great shape considering the age of the grill (made in 1997). I imagine a previous owner may have replaced these but they're the old style center bolt and not the "H" type.

Some say you can identify stainless by non-attraction to a magnet, but magnets do stick to certain types of stainless, for example, the vast expanse of stainless steel on the top of the Performer frame.

Thanks for any info!

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
Re: Did Generation 1 Performer come with stainless sweeps?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
   I don't think the first style of sweeps were ever made in SS, if they were I would have stocked up on them. Only the second style of sweeps was made in both types. Just need a weber historian to back me up.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:22:48 AM »
Right now the sweepers are made either from aluminium or SS. If I'm not mistaking, first performers had sweepers made from plain steel and it was of much better quality than the aluminium ones nowadays.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:48:43 AM »
Pretty sure those would not have been SS. 

There is another recent post about the SS sweeps.  Someone mentioned a magnet would not stick to the oldest SS sweeps but will  on the newest SS sweeps.  They commented on what type of SS that likely meant they were made from But I dont recall exactly.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

GJR

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 07:24:30 AM »
Thank you all for the replies! Must be the old style plain steel then.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »
I bought an original 1995 model SSP back in 2009 and the sweeps were rusty and had to be replaced so I know they weren't stainless.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:15:48 AM »
Pretty sure those would not have been SS. 

There is another recent post about the SS sweeps.  Someone mentioned a magnet would not stick to the oldest SS sweeps but will  on the newest SS sweeps.  They commented on what type of SS that likely meant they were made from But I dont recall exactly.

316 stainless is basically the more expensive standard grade of stainless steel.  304 stainless is the less expensive standard grade.  I don't remember now, but basically they difference has to do with exactly what metals in what proportions are used to make them.  If memory serves, typically the less expensive grades have a higher iron content & therefore a magnet will tend to stick to it. 
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Did Generation 1 Performer come with stainless sweeps?
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:39:27 AM »
316 are sometimes used for high end grills but the majority of grills uses 304 or the the cheaper ferritic(magnetic) 430.   304 and 316 are austenitic (non magnetic) with the latter being a higher grade typically used for hospital, aircraft.and marine equipments. Restaurant equipments are almost exclusively 304.  Currently it seems that weber only uses the 304 on their Summit line. The rest are mostly the  cheaper 430. Also, 304 and 316 has a slightly duller appearance compare to 430.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:47:57 AM by Jules V. »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »
The later ssp's which transitioned to a H style sweeps are stainless.  All gen2 and the first couple years of gen3 performers also  came with stainless sweeps.