Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: " The Happy Cooker " The Truth  (Read 49422 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: " The Happy Cooker " The Truth
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
The A code smokey Joe I found a decade ago had an internal ash pan.

but it was before we knew what it was. i threw it away :(

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »
Oddly enough I found it in Weber's book "Elegant Fare"  in a paper pocket/recipe card holder, on a CL deal. When I asked the little ol'lady if she still has the happy cooker. She said she just sold it a few days ago, after hauling it with her for 35 years and only useing it and the book once. Followed by "it was the ugliest damn puke green you ever saw in your life but my husband loved it".
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
I don't know about you, but as a HC collector, that woulda been a gut punch to me🤢.  Right place, wrong time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »
I'm not really a collector but if the timing was right it'd be in my garage too.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
" The Happy Cooker " The Truth
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »
It would be really cool to see a product lineup of the Happy Cooker over the short period they were in business.
[emoji848]Good idea[emoji362] 
Can use this thread for a line-up.  Your later model "Hinged Lid" model starts it off:

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »
Gas Picnic

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
No idea what the model name is, but it's HC's equivalent of the JumboJoe. Has an orange peel finish that's actually orange.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
Question for you gurus. I'm at various houses everyday for my job. Today, at a customers house, I spotted what I thought was a happy cooker. I didn't get a picture but it was a 22 black, missing leg kit but had leg sockets, I opened it and nothing inside. It had 3 vent  on bottom and the lid vent had a small tab. The handle had the classic plastic happy cooker look but to my surprise it said char broil??  The kettle looked very old and no rust so I assume it was a porcelain finish. What was I looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
Charbroil did make porcelain kettles with a plastic handle that was almost identical to HC (same supplier?).  Small, flimsy plastic wheels.  Never seen with three bowl dampers. Usually only two dampers & the bowl's stepped for the grates to sit on.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
It may have only had 2 dampers on the bowl. I only fondled it for a second. I didn't want them to catch me checking out their old grill and having to explain my unnatural interest in old grills.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2017, 11:19:53 PM »
Yellow 18"

Has faint black speckling in the finish
Lighter shade compared to Weber

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »
Yellow 18"

Has faint black speckling in the finish
Lighter shade compared to Weber

Thanks for sharing! Does the HC turn color like the Weber?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Does the HC turn color like the Weber?
It darkens a little, but never goes reddish/orange like Weber.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »
Duo Smoker

Legs don't actually "adjust".  Comes with a short & long set that you swap out.

No bottom damper(s). The grate strap extends 3/8" over bowl lip, so the lid doesn't sit tight, to allow for air intake.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
I was at a yard sale a few years ago that had a green happy cooker for sale. I passed on it at the time because I viewed it as a knockoff. I think today I'd probably buy it. The green was sort of a British green, similar to the green kettles being produced by Weber today.