Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The reward at the end of the rainbow: UPDATED with resto/after photos  (Read 12210 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: The reward at the end of the rainbow
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »
I'd like to wait for the free shipping at Weber, but I might not make it ;-). 

The lid bale nuts had a head start before they got to me.  One of the burner bracket bolts came out quite easily, but the second one and the lid bale holder are locked up pretty tight.  I plan to put an impact driver on them before reaching for the grinder... but that's pretty hard to keep from wandering into the porcelain on the inside of the bowl.  What are some pro-tips for nut/bolt removal, WKCers? 

I do love those H-style One-Touch setups, so I might just go that way with the ash can retrofit.  We shall see. 
One of the charcoal people.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »
PB blaster spray....the best....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »
So try the PB Blaster first  and give it a couple days to penetrate. If you decide that he grinder is the way to go, (I have many times) put some duct tape around the area that the grinder will be close to. If you get a bit too close, it will hit the tape first.  Just go slow and easy. Be sure to replace with SS hardware. 
Also, if the smaller wheels need replaced,  I found some at Home Depot for around $5 a pair.
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
I couldn't find any PB Blaster, but got some good penetrating oil at the hardware store, and gave it a few days to work.  When even an impact driver didn't get the two uncooperative bolts to budge, I gave up and reached for the grinder.  Once that was done, disassembly began.

Nestled the lid in the bowl, and gave it a good soak for several hours.  Someone on the board (Duke?) mentioned using a plastic storage bin as a makeshift sink, so I tried that.  Bonus was when the sides of it crimped and allowed the whole bowl/lid to sit right down on the bottom of the bin, right next to all of the other parts that were soaking.  Everything underwater and soaking.

Trade secrets: 

More trade secrets.  Looks like Lawrence and I both came upon this great tool-- a cheap Home Depot scraper.  The plastic doesn't scratch the porcelain, and it also conforms itself to the ideal bowl-scraping shape with just a few minutes' use. 

Thermo holder, midway through the process.  I soak for a good while, then gently scrub with dish detergent and 0000 steel wool.  Then Nevr Dull, then Mother's Mag and buff to shine. 

This was all a couple of weeks ago.  I tried to get the bowl and lid completely clean without reaching for the oven cleaner, but didn't quite make it.  After a couple of turns with soaking and scrubbing the inside, I went with the nuclear option, and got everything nice and shiny. 

Yesterday, I stripped down to the bare frame, wire wheeled all the rust, then spot-primed with self-etching primer (thanks Jeff!) and painted with Rust-Oleum ultra black grill paint (thanks jkolantern!) (sorry no photos on this phase).  While that was drying, I detailed the bowl/lid exterior with Turtle Wax buffing compound applied with 0000 steel wool, and started to reassemble.  More in the next post.

I should also note that all of these cleaning techniques were learned from the fine folks on this forum.  Thanks for teaching me how to do all of this fun stuff, everyone!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:25:32 AM by mike.stavlund »

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 05:07:29 AM »
overview:

I indulged myself and shined up the burner tube (dish soap with 0000, then Nevr-Dull, then Mother's).  Bowl hardware is all stainless, of course.

Detail of the hose clamp attachment method for a modern ash can ring.

The view from below.  Bend the tabs 180 degrees backward, then hold in place with the hose clamps.  It's a pain, but it looks much cleaner to have the clamp assembly on the inside of the ring.  Use a long screwdriver to reach *through* the ash ring to fasten. 

Needs some zavod wood handles, I know.

Ready to get to the cooking with her older sister, the K OT+. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:23:21 AM by mike.stavlund »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 05:10:30 AM »
Love my plastic scraper too. Need a new one, mine is warn to the handle...

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
Re: The reward at the end of the rainbow: UPDATED with resto/after photos
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
When ever I get done with a clean up that looks that good, I feel like Gene Wilder in young Frankenstein.
alive, it's alive, IT'S ALLIIIIVVE!!!!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »
Mike,

Congratulations on a very nice restoration!  Your "new" Performer looks great.

I am thinking of upgrading my SS Performer with the new sweeper/ash catcher as well.  Regarding fastening the new ash catcher ring - after bending the tabs 180 degrees, do you think it is possible to use sheet metal screws through the tabs into the leg holders?  Or alternatively, drilling a hole through the tab and the leg holder, and using stainless bolts to hold it in place?

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 07:45:09 AM »
Nice job Mike...you've got yourself a winner!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
The reward at the end of the rainbow: UPDATED with resto/after photos
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »
Very nice, mike. Looks really good!

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »
Good job, Mike!  Very clean ash pan install. 
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
Good job, Mike!  Very clean ash pan install.
I second that! I like the idea of not drilling into it. Very clean indeed!

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 09:23:02 AM »
Going to have to check out the pics once I get home from work, as they don't show up on my screen now.

Regarding the rusted bolts... Grind the heads off on the OUTSIDE of the bowl. Even if you miss the bolt, you only touch the bracket, and not the bowl. Plus, it is a lot less metal to grind off. If you are really worried, put some duct tape on the metal to offer some protection.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 09:31:34 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

@Winz, yes you can use screws or bolts, and I know many people prefer that.  I have always used the hose clamps, though, because they don't involve messing with the porcelain and inviting some rust to the party.  Plus I guess I have commitment issues, and might want to take my grills back to OEM someday. 

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
Multiple "Thank You"s to Mike from me in this thread.   When you take the time to document the work like he's done, it is the least I can do.