Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Favorite grill dish after a small thaw  (Read 1741 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Favorite grill dish after a small thaw
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
We’ve been frozen over and quite busy for a couple weeks lately, but today, we had time to cook up one of our favorite grilled meals. We did leg quarters, with grilled broccoli, alongside some jasmine rice. I used Weber briqs, indirect for 50 minutes, and reverted back to my old habits by not using a thermometer. It turned out absolutely fantastic and juicy. And I can’t believe the color on these legs.

I gotta give @jamesnomore a big shout out as I got around to using the Seasoned Salt he sent me in his secret Santa gift. It was fantastic! James, you gotta let me know how you made it cuz my wife will be upset if she can’t have it again hahahaha Thanks my man.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Trent

• Smokey Joe
Re: Favorite grill dish after a small thaw
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 05:06:01 PM »
We’ve been frozen over and quite busy for a couple weeks lately, but today, we had time to cook up one of our favorite grilled meals. We did leg quarters, with grilled broccoli, alongside some jasmine rice. I used Weber briqs, indirect for 50 minutes, and reverted back to my old habits by not using a thermometer. It turned out absolutely fantastic and juicy. And I can’t believe the color on these legs.

I gotta give @jamesnomore a big shout out as I got around to using the Seasoned Salt he sent me in his secret Santa gift. It was fantastic! James, you gotta let me know how you made it cuz my wife will be upset if she can’t have it again hahahaha Thanks my man.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Looking good

Sent from my SM-G930P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 05:41:08 AM »
Looks delicious! How do you grill the broccoli? Do you just throw it on raw over direct heat for a few minutes after the chicken has finished?
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 06:19:29 AM »
Looks delicious! How do you grill the broccoli? Do you just throw it on raw over direct heat for a few minutes after the chicken has finished?
I try to time it for the last 5-10 minutes of the chicken cooking time. It depends on the temp over the coals. But yes, I buy fresh florets, slice them into the size in the picture (2"-4" long), toss them directly on the grill over the coals, spread them out evenly, and let them cook with the lid on until they start to char a bit. Then, I do my best to flip them over, but I normally just end up stirring them around a bit, and let them char up a bit more. I then pull them off at the same time as the chicken, and drizzle some Italian Dressing or Garlic Expressions over the broccoli. It is our favorite way to eat broccoli.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:56:22 AM »
Looks great! I just bought 30lbs of chicken quarters @.49 per lb. will look forward to doing them.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:20:20 AM »
Looks great! I just bought 30lbs of chicken quarters @.49 per lb. will look forward to doing them.
That sounds like heaven to my wife and I! Best cut of chicken there is!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
I try to time it for the last 5-10 minutes of the chicken cooking time. It depends on the temp over the coals. But yes, I buy fresh florets, slice them into the size in the picture (2"-4" long), toss them directly on the grill over the coals, spread them out evenly, and let them cook with the lid on until they start to char a bit. Then, I do my best to flip them over, but I normally just end up stirring them around a bit, and let them char up a bit more. I then pull them off at the same time as the chicken, and drizzle some Italian Dressing or Garlic Expressions over the broccoli. It is our favorite way to eat broccoli.
Thanks! Do you put olive oil or S&P on the broccoli before throwing it on the grill?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:50:52 AM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 09:35:41 AM »
Thanks! Do you put why Olive oil or S&P on the broccoli before throwing it on the grill?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Sometimes, I will drizzle the Italian dressing prior to it hitting the grill, but most of the time I just throw it on raw. I did add EVOO once, but i think it caused the broccoli to crisp up too quickly, but maybe I should try it again.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 03:39:41 PM »
Great job! Those are one of my favourite cuts of chicken,

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 08:57:04 AM »
Thanks for the link to this thread @Schaefd2 and yes now I know to use fresh broccoli. When I’d done it before I’d used frozen florets.

But if you put them on frozen, they will brown and burn before the inside gets cooked. They’ll be cold, in fact. I’m psyched to try them again after thawing. The dressing would be new for us also.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »

Thanks for the link to this thread @Schaefd2 and yes now I know to use fresh broccoli. When I’d done it before I’d used frozen florets.

But if you put them on frozen, they will brown and burn before the inside gets cooked. They’ll be cold, in fact. I’m psyched to try them again after thawing. The dressing would be new for us also.
Let me know how it turns out! I’ve never thawed frozen broccoli then grilled it. I’ve always bought the big florets from the produce section. The frozen pieces are always too small for me. I like the pieces long and narrow. The narrow stems cook faster and finish before the leaves char up too much.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 09:08:41 AM »
Mostly just talk. I’d probably buy fresh since the “handle” would make them easier to uh, handle. And because thawed veggies are often soggy veggies, now that I think about it!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 06:29:52 PM »
Wow, the broccoli reminds me of my best friends dad growing up. He just sliced russet potatoes longways and grilled them with some Bernstiens Itallian dressing too! My mom worked and I always remember how I would work it to have dinner at their house!
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 06:36:49 PM »

Wow, the broccoli reminds me of my best friends dad growing up. He just sliced russet potatoes longways and grilled them with some Bernstiens Itallian dressing too! My mom worked and I always remember how I would work it to have dinner at their house!
LOL you mean like I just did last night with some sweet potatoes?? (Minus the Italian dressing)

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »
Yes, Like that!
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.