Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: whatchu cooking on for turkey day?  (Read 8498 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: whatchu cooking on for turkey day?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
Not a turkey but thankful anyway.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

603kettle

• WKC Brave
whatchu cooking on for turkey day?
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »
Rib Roast on the B Code Redhead. Only pic I remembered to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »
For those of you that spun birds, did you inject?  I️ haven’t tried injecting on the rotisserie yet but wasn’t sure if the injection flavor stays in the bird or if it all cooks out making it unnecessary. My favorite is injected and deep fried but I️ would like to have the same injection flavors on a roti bird if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »

For those of you that spun birds, did you inject?  I️ haven’t tried injecting on the rotisserie yet but wasn’t sure if the injection flavor stays in the bird or if it all cooks out making it unnecessary. My favorite is injected and deep fried but I️ would like to have the same injection flavors on a roti bird if possible.

I did not inject anything, but I’ve never been interested in doing that. Should I?

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »

I did not inject anything, but I’ve never been interested in doing that. Should I?

I️ don’t know how well it works on the grill or roti. I’m sure someone will chime in.

I️ will say that my smoked turkey I️ did yesterday was amazing, but my families injected and deep fried bird was roughly 10 times better.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »
@tb80 what do the toothpicks do?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Heavydlite

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »

I️ don’t know how well it works on the grill or roti. I’m sure someone will chime in.

I️ will say that my smoked turkey I️ did yesterday was amazing, but my families injected and deep fried bird was roughly 10 times better.

Deep fried is better than smoked?
Huh, does this mean we need to join a deep fry kettle club too ?

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
@tb80 what do the toothpicks do?
Was just holding the skin in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »
Don’t get too excited.  I’m not telling anyone to like it, I’m just saying I happen to prefer it. However, I really like smoked as well. I have never deep fried one myself, but I have family that has been doing it forever and are very good at it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »
Deep fried turkeys are very popular. You see the propane fryers go on sale every year in Nov. I've never tried it and don't know anyone that does it. I'd imagine it's quick and easy if you can avoid getting burned.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »

20 lb bird on the rotisserie today.  For some reason, the wings really stuck out on this bird.  One of the wings was scraping the inside of the lid for the first half hour.  Last year I did a 25 lb bird on the rotisserie and had no problems with clearance. 

1 hour  in

3 hours in

resting while I sample a snort of Pinot Noir

double mastectomy

carcass should make some killer turkey soup

what temp did u run it at?

Webers rule

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
whatchu cooking on for turkey day?
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2017, 03:29:54 PM »
Smoke a 11lb ham on "the gourmet"

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:31:29 PM by Speedster »
Webers rule

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2017, 03:30:12 PM »
Deep fried turkeys are very popular. You see the propane fryers go on sale every year in Nov. I've never tried it and don't know anyone that does it. I'd imagine it's quick and easy if you can avoid getting burned.
My roti turkey was one of the best... deep fried I've done in the past is THE best. Cooking is relatively quick and easy but the prep and cleanup is kind of a PITA. Dunking a damp turkey into a pot of hot oil is very scary. Making sure you have enough oil to submerge and most importantly, not too much oil, so it doesn't overflow is critical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Seeing all these pics kind of makes me regret traveling this year and not taking part in the cooking.  I'll make up for it with a Christmas turkey.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »

@Speedster -  I don't follow the lid temp too much when spinning on a rotisserie.  I run with all the vents full open. I start with 50 lit briquettes (25 per charcoal basket) and add 9 briquettes per side every hour.  Initial start up temp is around 350 degrees and each subsequent hour ran around 250 degrees.  I dropped about 1/2 cup of apple wood chips on the first load of briquettes.  I pulled the bird when the breast temp reached 157 degrees.  That is the recommended temp on the Thermoworks Blog.  I let it rest for 30 minutes prior to carving.  After watching the Gordon Ramsey video that @MTW524 posted on his thread (  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/happy-weber-day/msg343626/#msg343626 ), I am going to try resting my bird next time for a couple of hours prior to carving.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"