Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: whatchu cooking on for turkey day?  (Read 8504 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: whatchu cooking on for turkey day?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »
With both a turkey and a duck on the spit, they would not fit unless I installed the duck perpendicular even though that endangered both ends of the duck to the heat. Least of my worries!

The duck required more heat than the turkey, so the duck went nearest the heat (V-arranged charcoal baskets a la @Cellar2ful although my baskets touched and didn't come closer to the sides. My pan's size might have prevented that).

Well, the duck didn't have a drip pan underneath because it was straight atop the charcoal. Lots of white smoke as the duck battled the briquets for dominance and eventually the duck began to lose. I pulled the duck off as the skin was losing the battle. It was at 130 and the turkey maybe 110.

With the turkey alone on the spit I set the duck into a pan and put it on another grill to finish. It came off right as the turkey was finished being carved up. Both turned out great, with some charcoal juggling and relighting new batches to keep the heat going for both grills.

My Pepper Stout Beef I made also turned out fine.

I think 9 or 10 things are on this plate, and I didn't get to sample everything.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2017, 07:07:56 PM »
Wow! Glad you are Ok Shoestringshop!! How’d it start??

Nice tater peeler btw. I once put a sponge on the end of my cordless drill to clean the shower. It worked ok I suppose [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
whatchu cooking on for turkey day?
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2017, 07:25:43 PM »

Turkey Breasts rubbed with copious amounts of duck fat on the WSM.

I did the hams inside, but the turkey was a hit with everyone.

The skin was fairly dark...and I ran the WSM wide open for most of the cook, but it was really tasty. Used the Oakridge rubs on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:00:13 PM by Mike in Roseville »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »

20 lb bird on the rotisserie today.  For some reason, the wings really stuck out on this bird.  One of the wings was scraping the inside of the lid for the first half hour.  Last year I did a 25 lb bird on the rotisserie and had no problems with clearance. 

1 hour  in

3 hours in

resting while I sample a snort of Pinot Noir

double mastectomy

carcass should make some killer turkey soup

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2017, 02:52:35 AM »
Delish!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2017, 03:18:04 AM »

20 lb bird on the rotisserie today.  For some reason, the wings really stuck out on this bird.  One of the wings was scraping the inside of the lid for the first half hour.  Last year I did a 25 lb bird on the rotisserie and had no problems with clearance. 

1 hour  in

3 hours in

resting while I sample a snort of Pinot Noir

double mastectomy

carcass should make some killer turkey soup

Looks like the bird may have needed a little more centering on the spot, regardless it looked delish

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:58:48 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2017, 04:45:07 AM »
I like your setup there, Jim. I can see why you have the bird scooted over more with the baskets more on the thigh side. Being on a 22” would make it harder to be center. That Cajun bandit 26” roti is going to be my future “save for” purchase.
Looks great man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2017, 04:57:36 AM »
I like your setup there, Jim. I can see why you have the bird scooted over more with the baskets more on the thigh side. Being on a 22” would make it harder to be center. That Cajun bandit 26” roti is going to be my future “save for” purchase.
Looks great man.

i didnt notice that when i was looking from my phone
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2017, 05:06:13 AM »

That bird looks great, Jim!! Curious, if the wings were rubbing, did you consider trussing the bird?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2017, 05:10:40 AM »
Man great looking birds!
Love the set ups!
Nice cooks everyone

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2017, 05:36:14 AM »
Here's my set up
When you have enough grills to coordinate colors for the holidays, you might as well right?

The yellow gets the rotisserie, the chief was on overnight pork butt duty for Wednesday when everyone got here, and the red heated up overflow sides.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »

@Schaefd2  - The bird was trussed.  See how the breast is really puffed up in an accentuated V? I have always just tucked the wing tips back, beneath the back.  Even with the bird being offset, I never had a problem in the past with clearance.  This bird had an exceptionally large elbow on one side.  Must have been a flapper.........

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »

@Schaefd2  - The bird was trussed.  See how the breast is really puffed up in an accentuated V? I have always just tucked the wing tips back, beneath the back.  Even with the bird being offset, I never had a problem in the past with clearance.  This bird had an exceptionally large elbow on one side.  Must have been a flapper.........
Ah I see it now. Sorry for missing it earlier. Yeah, i bet this bird was making money winning arm wrestling challenges at the local dive bar.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »

Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

SixZeroFour

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
Wow, some really amazing birds you guys!

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving weekend!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E