Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: whatchu cooking on for turkey day?  (Read 8491 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: whatchu cooking on for turkey day?
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2017, 04:07:54 AM »
Deep fried birds are awesome. We actually prefer them over grilled. This was the first year I didn’t do one. I didn’t cook anything this year,lol. A rule of thumb for deep fried birds is 3 minutes per lb. so a 12 lb bird which is perfect for frying takes about 45 minutes. It’s gooder than a mother f......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2017, 04:47:32 AM »
We had a turkey breast in the Smoke EZ on the old 3-wheeler.  Basic sides in the sous vide and forgot to make a vegetable.  Good thing the kids are grown!
20171123_134433.th.jpg" border="0 20171123_155827-1.th.jpg" border="0 20171123_161314.th.jpg" border="0 20171123_164034.th.jpg" border="0

Sweet potatoes in the sous vide are the easiest and most delicious thing I have ever had.  We sliced them into rounds and tossed in a bag with brown sugar, vanilla paste, cinnamon, pecans, and fresh ground nutmeg.  I finished them on the grill to firm them a bit and poured the bag sauce over the top.  I have never smelled or eaten sweet potatoes like that.  I save the rest of the sauce and had it over ice cream last night. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:27:27 AM by Bubblehead »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2017, 05:07:55 AM »

@Speedster -  I don't follow the lid temp too much when spinning on a rotisserie.  I run with all the vents full open. I start with 50 lit briquettes (25 per charcoal basket) and add 9 briquettes per side every hour.  Initial start up temp is around 350 degrees and each subsequent hour ran around 250 degrees.  I dropped about 1/2 cup of apple wood chips on the first load of briquettes.  I pulled the bird when the breast temp reached 157 degrees.  That is the recommended temp on the Thermoworks Blog.  I let it rest for 30 minutes prior to carving.  After watching the Gordon Ramsey video that @MTW524 posted on his thread (  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/happy-weber-day/msg343626/#msg343626 ), I am going to try resting my bird next time for a couple of hours prior to carving.

When you pulled it at 157 did it rise to 165 while resting?  I pulled mine at 165 yesterday and it rested about an hour before we cut it up. It wasn’t dry but it also wasn’t juicy like I wanted.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2017, 05:46:41 AM »
I stopped the rotisserie and checked temp in a few places. Legs were fine but the breast wasn't reading more than 145 anywhere I probed. Adjusted the baskets closer to the breast and let it ride another 20 minutes and that worked. It sat for about 15 minutes before carving and the juice was streaming out when cut.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
whatchu cooking on for turkey day?
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »

@Speedster -  I don't follow the lid temp too much when spinning on a rotisserie.  I run with all the vents full open. I start with 50 lit briquettes (25 per charcoal basket) and add 9 briquettes per side every hour.  Initial start up temp is around 350 degrees and each subsequent hour ran around 250 degrees.  I dropped about 1/2 cup of apple wood chips on the first load of briquettes.  I pulled the bird when the breast temp reached 157 degrees.  That is the recommended temp on the Thermoworks Blog.  I let it rest for 30 minutes prior to carving.  After watching the Gordon Ramsey video that @MTW524 posted on his thread (  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/happy-weber-day/msg343626/#msg343626 ), I am going to try resting my bird next time for a couple of hours prior to carving.

When you pulled it at 157 did it rise to 165 while resting?  I pulled mine at 165 yesterday and it rested about an hour before we cut it up. It wasn’t dry but it also wasn’t juicy like I wanted.

Hey Brandon, I always take mine to 160. I don’t check it after that but it must rise. Mine was juicy and done throughout. I’m no expert but I think you would be totally safe cooking to 157 before rest but I’d go 160 if you want to play it extra safe. My dark meat probes at 175+ and breast meat 160 when pulled.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ken/Washington

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2017, 06:55:50 AM »
Deep fried turkeys are very popular. You see the propane fryers go on sale every year in Nov. I've never tried it and don't know anyone that does it. I'd imagine it's quick and easy if you can avoid getting burned.
My roti turkey was one of the best... deep fried I've done in the past is THE best. Cooking is relatively quick and easy but the prep and cleanup is kind of a PITA. Dunking a damp turkey into a pot of hot oil is very scary. Making sure you have enough oil to submerge and most importantly, not too much oil, so it doesn't overflow is critical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Yes! It's THE best! I stopped doing it because saving the oil was a PITA. If you don't save the oil..$$$

Sent from my XT1585 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2017, 07:36:43 AM »

Yes. The breast temp climbed from 157 to 165 degrees after resting. I use to pull my birds at 165 degrees. That meant the finished resting temp had to be around 175 degrees in the breast. Back then,  I never actually checked it after resting since it was already at 165.  Pulling the bird when the breast reaches 157 degrees makes the breast unbelievably moist.   

Here is a quote from Thermoworks regarding turkey temps:

" Rest your turkey for at least half an hour up to a full hour and a half before serving. You can expect an increase in temperature during the resting phase, from 10°F to 15°F or more, depending upon the size of the bird. Larger birds will have a greater increase in temperature.

Your final temperature should be about 165°F for the breast meat and about 175-185°F for the drumsticks and thighs. Do you need to be exact? No, Keep in mind that the required time for the pasteurization of poultry meat at 155°F is only one minute. So if you are confident you’ve kept your bird at least 155°F for a full minute then you should be safe."

Although some of the information in this article will not apply to cooking a bird on a Weber, there is some really useful info it it.

http://blog.thermoworks.com/2010/11/turkey-temps/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:39:48 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"