Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grill Grates Sizes?  (Read 1544 times)

mick

• Smokey Joe
Grill Grates Sizes?
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:28:38 PM »
Hey experts, I am wondering if any of you who have some GrillGrates know if the two radius cut sections of the 22" custom set fit on an 18" kettle? I have read some of your comments on if they're good or not so good. I feel like I want to try them but I am a cheap sob, so I'd probly want them to be versatile to my situations. I have also read that if you use the standard ones or ones that dont fit your kettle perfectly that they are hard to clean, and the 18" set doesnt look like it fits straight out of the box, but it does look like the two radius cut pieces will fit the SJ. Any help from your experience with them would be appreciated. Theyre running a 15% sale right now it seems.  Thanks.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: Grill Grates Sizes?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:43:42 AM »
I use a set of 2 18.75" uncut Grill Grates in my grills.   Works wonderfully and I can move them from grill to grill.  I don't find them particularly hard to clean.  Just use the flat side as a griddle now and again and they stay pretty decent.  Once a quarter or so I toss them in the dishwasher for a reset.  It's really a great product.

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
Thanks Bubblehead, I like that idea for cleaning lol. I'm leaning towards the one for the 18" kettle and hoping two pieces fit on the SJ and then I guess use them on the 22 also. I best decide in a hurry, I cant tell when the sale ends.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »
Jump on 'em, @mick.  You won't be disappointed. 

BTW, you don't need to get the squeaky-clean after each use.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »
I agree with the above. I have some of the radius cut grates and I don't think they would fit an 18. The small outermost piece likely would, but the inner piece is cut the full length for the 22. That said I don't use the cut pieces very often. Two grates down the center handle most of my needs. And the size has nothing to do with ease of cleaning.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 01:18:44 AM »
ok @Rub thats exactly what I meant... The outer two parts (that are radius cut) without the center piece, do they fit on the 18 is what I was wondering. About the cleaning I guess what that person meant was if they arent tight against the bowl walls they slosh around making it hard to clean but youve now debunked that thanks and like Big Dawg says they dont have to be squeaky clean lol. I am leaning towards the radius cut for 18 inch now if its not hard to clean when sloshing around on the 22 because I hope I can stick the two side pieces in my sj, and move all three pieces to the 22, hence using parts or all of them on all three grill sizes. I dont use my sj much lately, but when I usually do/did its for high heat shorter bowl height, same with the JJ, for steaks or shrimps on skewer etc. So first I was thinking I'd get the 22 custom and use on the JJ or 18 OTG but now leaning towards the 18 custom ones. Almost ordered just now, sale still says active but instead I went to thermoworks and bought some extensions and the 2.5 inch probe and the "fun" small keychain one. Thanks for all your help everyone, I'm going to sleep on it.  Have to use the sales when we can cause these things really add up lol. Wish I could see them in person or in pics on actual grills.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 06:37:05 AM »
I’ll get some pics later today if I can remember. I’ll be happy to help you figure it out as well. Been using them since they came out pretty much and have a great relationship with Brad.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH