Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Glassware  (Read 2773 times)

David M

• Happy Cooker
Glassware
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:04:12 AM »
A little advice please for someone on this side of the "pond"! Does anyone use Pyrex or similar oven proof glassware in their Webers or should I stick to metal containers? Look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks

Sent from my SM-P600 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Glassware
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
i've used pyrex on the indirect side several times without issue

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
I've used a Pyrex dish for years. You may want to designate one just for the grill.
It will always come clean, but my old lady doesn't want to make brownies in it.
I add water as well as juices depending what I'm cooking. Experiment and let us know

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »
i've used pyrex on the indirect side several times without issue

Ditto, although, more and more I'm using disposables.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
Welcome to WKC.

If there's any smoke wood used at all, the glass will turn brown and be very difficult to remove, at least quickly. Pyrex is safe up to about 500 or so degrees, perfectly safe to use in your outdoor oven, just keep the heat indirect, not underneath it.

A typical 33x22cm cake pan fits in the middle of a 57cm kettle, with heat on either side in charcoal baskets. I've made more than a few lasagnas that way, only in inches instead. :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

David M

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for your response,  glass we go!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
Used it a few times until she looked at me cross ways, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »
I shattered a Pyrex casserole full of enchiladas being cooked indirectly.  Like it turned to LEGO sized chunks as I picked it up.  This was with a basket on each side of a 22 and the casserole in the middle.  Just be careful out there.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »
I shattered a Pyrex casserole full of enchiladas being cooked indirectly.  Like it turned to LEGO sized chunks as I picked it up.  This was with a basket on each side of a 22 and the casserole in the middle.  Just be careful out there.

Yikes! I stopped using mine because of the extra weight compared to metal and cleanup I mentioned, but that'd be a deal breaker.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »

The slightest chip will cut you wide open during cleanup too. I like using metal (cast iron or tin pans) in the kettle.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 02:51:42 AM »
I use the SS restaurant chaffing type pans on the grill. SS won’t break and it’s lighter than CI pans.

They are easy to clean and even can be used as drip pans, or drip & cook like I did with the duck.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Glassware
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 03:29:03 AM »
Not sure what benefit glassware would offer. Any metal pan option would be better imo. Metal pans are inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 11:46:10 AM »

I use the SS restaurant chaffing type pans on the grill. SS won’t break and it’s lighter than CI pans.

They are easy to clean and even can be used as drip pans, or drip & cook like I did with the duck.

+1

These are what you want to use.

They nest, clean easily, and can serve multiple purposes (drip pan, cook pan, heat block, cover, etc.) and they don’t shatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »

What size do you use?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure those are half pan. Dimensions should be roughly 12"x10". Height varies from 2"-6".  Available with 2 types of lids, fully enclosed or notched.