Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A “RRR”eally good week!  (Read 2816 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
A “RRR”eally good week!
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
Hang out with me for a moment, I’ve a favor to ask, and I’ll be sharing my grail acquisition too. 

As most of you probably know by now, I recently uncovered a yellow offset handle SJ, seemingly the first of its kind.  It has taken me about a week to fully comprehend the magnitude of this find and there have been times when I feel totally unworthy of its ownership.  That’s the the truth.

Now that I’ve caught my breath, I know I owe you guys the story and don’t want to keeping you  hanging.

To give credit where credit is due, Chiku18 is the one who alerted me to a mystery Weber box at an online estate sale.  We didn’t think much of it, until we started searching for the model number, SJ-120.  Now, if you ever try searching ye olde internet for information on vintage Weber kettles, you’ll most likely end up right back here at the WKC.  Strong, very strong.  I poured through all the old catalogs, scrolled through thousands of posts, and couldn’t find any reference to this model number.  Strange... and intriguing... very intriguing.  What could it be?[emoji848]

I had to find out, and I couldn’t risk the chance of this unknown SJ disappearing into obscurity, it needed to be documented by the WKC. 

I’m not sure which was harder to endure, the agony of the last few seconds before an auction closes, or the slow anguish while tracking it 27 times a day until it arrived, but both periods of emotional turmoil were compounded by the persistent mystery of the contents within.  (I teased you guys for less than 24 hours; imagine being held in suspense for weeks!)

It’s hard to describe the moment when I first saw the yellow bowl inside.  I was shocked and in disbelief.  I thought certainly this must be a mistake.  I’m still not convinced that this yellow SJ isn’t a mistake. 

Which leads me to the favor I need to ask all of you.  I’ve been told by another member they recall seeing a yellow offset SJ in an old 70’s Weber cookbook, set amongst other kettles in a nature scene.   I’m very much interested in seeing that picture, so if you have any old Weber cookbooks, please thumb through them in search for this elusive specimen.  Thanks!  (Edit: offering a reward!)

So, true to my original intent, I had a professional photographer take pictures and document the unboxing of SJ-120.  I hope everyone enjoyed the pictures.  Unboxing SJ-120
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=33350http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=33350 Here’s another one.

So now onto my grail acquisition.... yes, there’s more!  Thank you so much to @brewtownbeatdown for helping me finally obtain an 18” blue MBH, and a birth-year “B” code no less!!  Woohoo!! .  I’ve never seen a better packaging job in my life, and thankfully it was packed in foam because there was definitely damage to the box.
Socializing with the full lineup of 18” MBH’s.

One last little bonus item that made this such an exceptional kettle week, finally found an 18” internal ash pan!
Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:32:56 AM by Mr.CPHo »

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
A “RRR”eally good week!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »
What a great week indeed!  Amazing finds that are so satisfying.  Both are beautiful grills.  Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
Re: A “RRR”eally good week!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »
Wow what a story and great job to all involved,there is just no word's for that that yellow....

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 02:34:36 AM »
Awesome story, could not have happened to a nicer guy. Love the new blue too!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:37:53 AM »
Awesome story Charlie. Congrats on both acquisitions. I just checked my vintage Weber cookbook.
No yellows.

Third printing 1977.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 04:26:32 AM »
Thanks for checking, Kneab!  I really appreciate it.

As a small token of my appreciation, whomever finds and posts the picture with the yellow SJ will get a prize out of my personal stash pile!

Thanks everyone, and I hope y’all have a g”RRR”eat Weber Weekend. 

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 05:15:19 AM »
@Mr.CPHo    I found a picture of it.  I will post it in a few minutes.  What is the prize?

harris92

• WKC Performer
A “RRR”eally good week!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
This is not the initial pic I remember but I do remember mention of this alternate.

In 1973, Weber had an alternate cover to their catalog.  No one knows the story behind the alternate or whether it was actually used or not (if so, how extensively).

I have confirmed with a Weber contact the yellow smokey was on the alternate cover.  Why it's not listed as an option in the actual catalog is unknown.  However,  this  contact told me the yellow smokey was offered only in 1973.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:40:38 AM by harris92 »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 06:07:35 AM »
Well that was fast!! Thank you, harris92.  PM me your address.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 06:19:36 AM »
FYI, in 1973 Weber started selling overseas.  Perhaps this is the reason for an alternate cover?  Just a guess.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 06:36:52 AM »
Thanks for the story. 
regards,
Hal

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »
Looking great!  The lime 18" almost looks a little wider than the others, which I find interesting.  My guess is it probably has to do with forced perspective.  I love your collection as you know!  Keep up the great work and good luck with finding an 18" cado and green!  If anyone can get their hands on those ones (especially the ellusive 18" mbh green) it is you!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:55:53 AM by Lowbrass »
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
Excellent finds, scores, karma, etc.... all around! Love that you found an 18" IAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 08:07:46 PM »
"As most of you probably know by now, I recently uncovered a yellow offset handle SJ, seemingly the first of its kind.  It has taken me about a week to fully comprehend the magnitude of this find and there have been times when I feel totally unworthy of its ownership.  That’s the the truth."

I felt the same way about my C code 14" WSM. Another member convinced me, if the cooker found me... I was meant to have it.
Still need a 22” yellow

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 05:19:48 AM »
"As most of you probably know by now, I recently uncovered a yellow offset handle SJ, seemingly the first of its kind.  It has taken me about a week to fully comprehend the magnitude of this find and there have been times when I feel totally unworthy of its ownership.  That’s the the truth."

I felt the same way about my C code 14" WSM. Another member convinced me, if the cooker found me... I was meant to have it.

I feel the same way about my latest score.  ;D ;D ;D

Congrats Charlie on your latest scores. Beauties for sure.