Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reattaching a bracketed ash can to a new sweep  (Read 5308 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Reattaching a bracketed ash can to a new sweep
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
When Weber CS confuses you, isn't it nice to be able to go to the WKC brain trust?

So I'm helping my friend with his EI (1997) Performer.  It's got the horizontal ash can bracket, and it looks to be in good condition. 

On my first call to Weber CS, I was told that I need the 7409 wing-nut style ash sweep to work with that bracket.  But on my second call, I was told that the 7409 won't work with the pre-2000 ash can system.  He told me I'd need a whole new bowl and ash can assembly, and gently suggested that such an old grill ought to be replaced with a new one (can you imagine that?). Said the pre-2000 style had a nut on the bottom to attach the old ash bracket to the sweep assembly, and they don't sell those any more. 

So which is it?  If I can't get a ash sweep that will work, we'll just get a new ash can assembly and do the hose-clamp attachment method.  But it'd be nice to avoid that and use the old ash pan setup.  A little help? 
One of the charcoal people.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Reattaching a bracketed ash can to a new sweep
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:25:23 PM »
If you have the old ash assembly, the 7409 should fit. I don't think they are any different.
I'll see if I can get some pics of mine.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: Reattaching a bracketed ash can to a new sweep
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
When Weber CS confuses you, isn't it nice to be able to go to the WKC brain trust?

So I'm helping my friend with his EI (1997) Performer.  It's got the horizontal ash can bracket, and it looks to be in good condition. 

On my first call to Weber CS, I was told that I need the 7409 wing-nut style ash sweep to work with that bracket.  But on my second call, I was told that the 7409 won't work with the pre-2000 ash can system.  He told me I'd need a whole new bowl and ash can assembly, and gently suggested that such an old grill ought to be replaced with a new one (can you imagine that?). Said the pre-2000 style had a nut on the bottom to attach the old ash bracket to the sweep assembly, and they don't sell those any more. 

So which is it?  If I can't get a ash sweep that will work, we'll just get a new ash can assembly and do the hose-clamp attachment method.  But it'd be nice to avoid that and use the old ash pan setup.  A little help?

Mike,  just went through that yesterday. Same response!  Amazon has 7409. I looked at my leg welles tonight,  new version will need clamps... my winter cooks killed mine.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
I just picked up two of the old style (hex nut) at a local Garden Center for $10 each.  If thats the case, I may have to stock up.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
Can't you just use the bar that holds the ashpot instead of the washer that goes under the bowl?

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »
YOu might be right, pbe, but those H-style sweeps are pretty snug--not sure there's room in that sandwich for the horizontal metal bracket. 

Thanks, everyone!  I'll wait a bit to let others chime in and then maybe  see about ordering a 7409 from Amazon. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
Never mind, I didnt realize that part wasn't actually a washer but had the 2 slits for the "H"
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: Reattaching a bracketed ash can to a new sweep
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »
YOu might be right, pbe, but those H-style sweeps are pretty snug--not sure there's room in that sandwich for the horizontal metal bracket. 

Thanks, everyone!  I'll wait a bit to let others chime in and then maybe  see about ordering a 7409 from Amazon.

"H " CLIP without the washer is not a perfect fit. The bracket is thicker than the washer. Also,  it cannot lock up. Been there...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
I'm wondering if Weber is discontinuing the One Toiuch Kit 7409 or the 307409?

Thats gonna suck if they are..

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 03:15:04 AM »
307409 is still available on the Weber website and should work with the old style ash cans
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:27:42 AM by G »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 04:49:47 AM »
307409 is still available on the Weber website and should work with the old style ash cans

It is available on the Weber website and also allows the CSR to enter the order, but you will end up with the "H" clip
sweeper assembly. That is what happened to me... :-\

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 06:13:26 AM »
307409 is the same as 7409.. If you ordered the old number and got the newer H style, does that mean its not being sold anymore or did they substitute it due to an temporary  inventory issue?
If we can no longer get this part, it means there is no way to use the old style bracket and ash can.
May have to hit the hardware stores and pick up a couple.  Oh Weber, what are you thinking!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:55:16 AM by Heyjude »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »
307409 is the same as 7409.. If you ordered the old number and got the newer H style, does that mean its not being sold anymore or did they substitute it due to an temporary  inventory issue?
If we can no longer get this part, it means there is no way to use the old style bracket and ash can.
May have to hit the hardware stores and pick up a couple.  Oh Weber, what are you thinking!

I was on the phone quite a while to resolve the issue, They came back with "No longer available". The CSR had to talk to a manager, said I would need a new bowl and ash assy. I said "You have Red Bowls...", "No"...Same response that Mike received.

Looking at your picture, you might be one of the lucky ones, your leg holders might be aligned to accept the new style, with know added hardware.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
Thanks for the photo, AJ.  That is really helpful.

I'll try to call Weber later today to ask a more direct question about the availablity of the 7409... the guy last night just wanted to argue with me about how it wouldn't work for my application. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
My call just got the same info as Greg-- the 7409 is no longer sold by Weber.  Out of stock, and out of their inventory.  I just ordered one for my friend from Amazon (and one extra for myself if I should ever need it). 

FULL INFO:  the CS agent affirmed that the 7409 would work with the old-style ash can bracket, but couldn't find it in their stock.  She used the code 7409, 307409, and the customer service code number 80302.  She also checked with a supervisor to confirm that Weber will no longer be selling those wing-nut style ash sweep assemblies.  Which I'm not too disappointed about, since I much prefer the H-style ones, but it'll be just my luck that my red SS Performer will have the ash can bracket on it and I'll be SOL.