Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A question about Smokey Joe models  (Read 2268 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
A question about Smokey Joe models
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »
I recently added another Smokey Joe to my "grill library" this past weekend.  I already owned the taller grill on the left with the skinny legs made of steel-rod (I painted them black to cover some rust), and just picked up the shorter grill on the right with the flat-stock legs.

I had always thought that the taller skinny legs (left grill) were an older version of the SJ, and the legs made of flat stock (on the right) were a newer version, but the top vent letter-codes on these don't agree. 

The grill on the LEFT is a N-code (1991) and the grill on the RIGHT is an H-code (1986).  How can that be?  Did Weber make two different models of the SJ around this time period?

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
Re: A question about Smokey Joe models
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »
Someone switched the lids on yours .  Or the older one's owner switched his lid out with a diff model. 
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »
Java-
That's certianly a plausable situation.  The grill on the left was found, broken, and abandon.  (Has since been repaired)  The grill on the right was bought for a whopping $10.  Who knows what these poor things have endured over the years.   :o

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »
Java-
That's certianly a plausable situation.  The grill on the left was found, broken, and abandon.  (Has since been repaired)  The grill on the right was bought for a whopping $10.  Who knows what these poor things have endured over the years.   :o

Welcome saxart! Not sure, but the H would be closer to age appropriate to the one on the left. I have a NIB K, that has the same legs as yours on the left. Our you from St. Croix, by Taylors Falls?

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:24:53 AM »
Glrasmussen-
Further south, closer to Hudson..

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:04 AM »
Agree the lids may have been switched along the way. You sure you kept everything together?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:03:36 AM by MartyG »

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 05:12:48 PM »
Yeah, the lids that are on these grills are the ones that came with them when I got them.  If you look closely at the first photo, you can see how the lid on the left is more 'DOMED', (as opposed to DOOMED...LOL)  while the lid on the right has a flatter top.   I tried swapping the lids just for giggles, and they would work in a pinch, but they definately don't fit "right".  One is about 1/4" bigger than the other.

I'm guessing one of the lids was swapped at some point because the rivets for the vent appear to be original....