Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Party q vs. IQ110 vs. Auber vs. ?  (Read 3063 times)

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
Party q vs. IQ110 vs. Auber vs. ?
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:23:52 AM »
So i borrowed LightningBoldtz party q to do a brisket last weekend and i am convinced that i now need an ATC. Only thing i wasn't a fan of was that it seems you need a fresh set of batteries for every cook. LB addressed this by putting rechargeable AA's in his party q (which i didn't know, so they ended up in the trash and i later dug out to return). But I could still see where I finish up my cook, put everything away, and still end up with dead batteries because I forgot to throw them on the charger. I think i could figure out a way to do an ac adapter for the party q if i had to but just throwing it out there to see if the auber or IQ110 are worth a look. Or even if the higher priced ones are absolutely worth it. It would be mostly for my 18 wsm but would like to use on a kettle as well if possible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Party q vs. IQ110 vs. Auber vs. ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:13:03 AM »
i like my iq110. uses a power cord. hasn't failed me yet in a few years of use. only downside is it only has a pit probe. one thing to keep in mind if you want to use one of these on a one-touch kettle is blocking off the air flow. wsm and daisy wheel kettles are much simpler to do this on. close the vents you aren't using then install controller and block remaining holes on that vent. iq does via a cup that does both by fitting completely over the vent in use. not sure how the others do it. not as simple with the elongated vent holes and non-independent controls to close/open them.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »
I agree w/ @mrbill, I don't see how to use either on a kettle without a adding new hole to the bowl.   

Just my 2¢, I really like the DigiQ.  Costs a little more, but I think it's worth it.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Party q vs. IQ110 vs. Auber vs. ?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
At the price of atc units, I think I would be tempted to get a pellet smoker. Wouldn't that be easier or do pellet smokers lack the quality of BBQ flavor that a wsm or kettle offer?  I'm curious as I've never owned or used either except a buddies pellet smoker to cook wings.  I was impressed by it from my brief use.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »
At the price of atc units, I think I would be tempted to get a pellet smoker. Wouldn't that be easier or do pellet smokers lack the quality of BBQ flavor that a wsm or kettle offer?  I'm curious as I've never owned or used either except a buddies pellet smoker to cook wings.  I was impressed by it from my brief use.

A PELLET SMOKER??? I thought this was the weber kettle club? [emoji12] The thing is, i already have the wsm. I enjoy using and fiddling with it, but man that ATC made the overnight cook a breeze. My previous overnighters consisted of me sleeping on the couch with the maverick alarm waking me up or just being restless all night worried about what was happening. My sleep is worth the price of an ATC. And as you mentioned, i don't think the pellet smokers give that authentic bbq flavor just like electric or gas smokers don't. One of the guys at work trailered in his super fancy pellet smoker complete with bull horn handles and a shiny red paint job to do some pork, i personally thought it was similar to what would come out of an oven or maybe a gas grill with a wood chip box. There was just something missing, i think.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
With entry level pellet cookers - ones that are at least rated decent - running at least $800 - $1000, and the DigiQ running $250, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

On overnight cooks, it just really takes a lot of the stress out of the equation.  I know a lot of members will report that they've got their WSMs so completely dialed in that they don't see the need.  I have tremendous respect of those guys.  But even after over 100 cooks on mine, I still get too much variation for me to feel comfortable leaving the totally unattended, and sadly, I have known immunity to alarms.

So, for the foreseeable future, Fat Boy is going to keep his breather.   I'm not ready to cut a hole in Big Kahuna . . . yet.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
Your right. Definitely not a fair comparison given the price difference. I was really stretching it on that one.  I haven't done an overnight cook yet but can imagine an atc would be nice.

I've been known to have the same immunity to alarms. That's gotten me in trouble a few times in non BBQ related areas of my life.

Sorry for the thread drift. Carry on.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
i don't think the pellet smokers give that authentic bbq flavor just like electric or gas smokers don't.

The food that comes off a pellet is definitely different but I wouldn't say its necessarily not "authentic bbq flavor". The pellets and technique make a big difference in how the meat comes out.

@Mkrause, all you need is a 5V AC adapter to run the PartyQ plugged in: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?47825-PartyQ-AC-adapter-mod-for-less-than-10-bucks

ATC's can also be easily found used for a fraction of the price as new. They are one of those gadgets that a lot of people try out but not a lot use for the long term.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
i don't think the pellet smokers give that authentic bbq flavor just like electric or gas smokers don't.

The food that comes off a pellet is definitely different but I wouldn't say its necessarily not "authentic bbq flavor". The pellets and technique make a big difference in how the meat comes out.

@Mkrause, all you need is a 5V AC adapter to run the PartyQ plugged in: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?47825-PartyQ-AC-adapter-mod-for-less-than-10-bucks

ATC's can also be easily found used for a fraction of the price as new. They are one of those gadgets that a lot of people try out but not a lot use for the long term.
I didn't mean to knock the pellet cookers. Maybe i should have said it's lacking the charcoal flavor, which i prefer.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 06:16:16 PM »
I agree w/ @mrbill, I don't see how to use either on a kettle without a adding new hole to the bowl.   

Just my 2¢, I really like the DigiQ.  Costs a little more, but I think it's worth it.

BD
I have a 22" 3 wheeler I'd like to use it on... only thing i think i would use it for is ribs though. I'll definitely take a look at the digiQ, thanks!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 06:25:19 PM »
I have a iq120 for three years. It works great on my WSM .. but if I had to do it again. I would buy a digi q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »
I have a iq120 for three years. It works great on my WSM .. but if I had to do it again. I would buy a digi q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
The Iq 120 is plastic.. and it doesn't feel substantial

I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 12:37:14 AM »
I have an IQ 110 and while I rarely use it, when I do, it works great. I knew when I bought it that I would not use it a ton so didn't want to spend anymore money than I had to. I would recommend the IQ, but have also heard great things about the Party Q. Now this thread makes me want to go figure out where I left the IQ and use it again..

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 03:15:38 AM »
What does the digiQ do that the partyQ doesn't, besides the ac power? It seems easy enough to add an ac adapter to the partyQ and still have the ability to use batteries if you want.