Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Keep Grilling Alive  (Read 2078 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Keep Grilling Alive
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:17:38 AM »
(If you don’t want to read the whole story, here’s my point: Next time you grill out think about inviting the neighbor kid or family with no dad in the picture to come over to watch, learn, and eat. Chances are he or she may never be exposed to the joys of grilling if you don't.)

I teach History and Career Skills to high school kids with learning problems. Nothing too severe, they’re just not quite able to keep up in a regular classroom. Over 90% of our students come from a poor socio-economic background. And about 60-70% of them only have one parent in their life, usually the mother.

I’m getting ready to start my 29th year with teaching these types of kids and I’ve noticed a couple of things. Out of the 80+ students I see, less than 5 say grilling happens at home. And only 1 or 2 of those say they get involved with it. For so many of them there is no father/man in their lives. That tells me that with this segment of the population the huge majority will grow up not knowing the joy of live fire cooking and the great flavors you can only get from the grill.

So a couple of years ago I figured out a way to incorporate and share my love of grilling with these kids who have been missing out. I first brought vegetable gardening into my lessons once a week as a way to promote healthier eating, as well as a good hobby for leisure time. Of course getting kids to eat vegetables can be a challenge, so I came up with a plan and I wrote a grant for 10 grills and supplies. This year will be the 3rd year of my classes growing vegetables, and then teaching the kids how to cook them on the grill for great flavor. We save up money and add in proteins a couple of times a year as a treat. The kids love it and they are learning skills they can use for a lifetime.

So if you know of a kid or family who is in the same situation, think about inviting them over the next time you’re grilling. Share your skill set that we all take for granted. There’s a whole generation of kids who can benefit and will be thankful for the opportunity to learn from you.
*I had to purchase Kingsford grills the first time. They're wearing out and I'm going to work on getting Webers this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Keep Grilling Alive
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »
That is a great story @Rub Always share grilling with others. Have you approached Weber to see if they would donate grills?

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
That's awesome.
Maybe you could get some used Webers off Craigslist for the kids to restore. Or maybe gummi or someone can setup a go fund me or something.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »
That is so awesome.  I had a class garden and did a cooking club when I taught back in STL.  It always amazed me how little they knew about where food came from, but also how much enjoyment and satisfaction they got out of growing and cooking something themselves.  You are making a huge difference in the lives of those students.  Blessings on your upcoming school year.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
Good on ya for not only doing what you do, but encouraging others to think about what they can do also....just noticing what's up with the younger generation is a plus all by itself..... 8)

I cook for groups, sometimes as many as 80~100, that include newly clean & sober folks, so that they can see what life CAN be like without all the chemical interference..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:07:23 AM »
You guys are doing great things.

Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:17:42 AM »
This! So much this!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
Good on ya for not only doing what you do, but encouraging others to think about what they can do also....just noticing what's up with the younger generation is a plus all by itself..... 8)

I cook for groups, sometimes as many as 80~100, that include newly clean & sober folks, so that they can see what life CAN be like without all the chemical interference..... ;D
Good on you too. July 4th 2010 is my sober day love to see people giving back to the community.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »

Good on you too. July 4th 2010 is my sober day love to see people giving back to the community.

6/16/1990 here....good ta have ya aboard!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
This is amazing @Rub - What a fantastic idea and way to give back to the community. Huge props and kettle karma to you sir! You are an inspiration to us all.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »
That's awesome! If I were in Weber marketing and community outreach I'd be all over this! Reach out to schools to get students to learn these skills that really are valuable life lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Che Boludo!

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
That is a great story @Rub Always share grilling with others. Have you approached Weber to see if they would donate grills?

Unfortunately Weber is not great about donations, but you can find older grills for free all over the place.  This is a great idea though.

Therustysaw

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
That is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »
what a great story.  I'll bet this story is worthy of the local newspaper and I'll bet you could easily crowd-fund this effort if you did not get enough exposure from the newspaper article and if Weber turns you down. Heck, if everyone in WKC gave you $1.00  I'm sure you would be set. 
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 04:53:27 PM »
That's inspiring!  I'll do my best to seek out opportunities to spread the grilling enthusiasm.