Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lime spotted in the wild!  (Read 3673 times)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Lime spotted in the wild!
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »
At an Independence Day celebration and spotted this in the neighbor's back yard:

I live in a fairly small town that was much smaller 30 years ago. We don't see many old colors, and seeing this one in the wild blew my mind. Time for a cold call door knock?

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Lime spotted in the wild!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
That looks mint and if so is worth 200-325. See if there is a dollar amount they'd take. If they say no offer a brand new Black MT. If they still say no tell them you will make it one of the limited edition Red ones. Be prepared for it being sentimental to them though in which case just leave your contact info.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »
Time for a cold call door knock?
I'd sure be on it. Time to convince them to surrender  8)
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »
That looks mint and if so is worth 200-325. See if there is a dollar amount they'd take. If they say no offer a brand new Black MT. If they still say no tell them you will make it one of the limited edition Red ones. Be prepared for it being sentimental to them though in which case just leave your contact info.

Mint lime is worth more.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
Recalling the recent thread on condition grading, I'm most familiar with the firearm condition scale. Using that scale, from 40' away the difference between 85 and 97 would be hard to see. It doesn't appear to have an ash pan. The lid handle looks like it is missing the wood and I can't tell if the bowl handles are wood or metal. But all of those things are replaceable and relatively easily sourced, and the porcelain looks fantastic from what I can see.

I'm definitely going to pursue it. I would've done so already, but the home looks empty tonight. I have a nib blue otg. I wouldn't want to trade it, but probably would if it came down to it. I'd rather go buy a brand new ots.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:33:03 PM by cbpeck »

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:32:01 AM »
Only way to find out is to ask.... Worst that can happen is they say no. But you never know...
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:38:38 AM »
I didn't know someone's backyard was considered "the wild?"

I thought that was relegated to swap meets, garage sales, discount stores, etc.?

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 07:34:43 AM »
Details. They don't look like their in need of any money. It's a Nice house and with an underground  swimming pool. Nice patio furniture. Great tree scape view.
   That lime Weber does look to be in great condition from 100+ foot away.
Notice how they have matching lime colored seat cushions and a matching lime colored watering can. The missing ash pan could mean this grill is only being used for decoration. I also see a gas grill in the same yard.

I would stop by to offer them the era correct ash pan for the vintage Lime kettle. Then inquire if the grill is ever available for sale to call me. Ya never know.

Pm for my info;)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:19:31 AM by Smokin Performer »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 08:03:45 AM »

I thought that was relegated to swap meets, garage sales, discount stores, etc.?

No, anywhere....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »

No, anywhere....

Yeah we may have to agree to disagree on that one. If it were dusty or near a brush pile I may be more inclined to agree. Judging by their backyard and their color accents, they probably use it occasionally and like the color. I guess I wouldn't call my backyard, or another kettle heads backyard, "the wild." My wife's aunt has a 22" Avacado in their backyard. They use it all the time because they like mid-century modern stuff (burnt orange, green, yellow, etc.). I've offered to clean it for them, but I've never offered to buy it...because they use it and enjoy it. Just because they don't have multiple kettles doesn't mean it isn't loved and appreciated.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »

No, anywhere....

Yeah we may have to agree to disagree on that one. If it were dusty or near a brush pile I may be more inclined to agree. Judging by their backyard and their color accents, they probably use it occasionally and like the color. I guess I wouldn't call my backyard, or another kettle heads backyard, "the wild." My wife's aunt has a 22" Avacado in their backyard. They use it all the time because they like mid-century modern stuff (burnt orange, green, yellow, etc.). I've offered to clean it for them, but I've never offered to buy it...because they use it and enjoy it. Just because they don't have multiple kettles doesn't mean it isn't loved and appreciated.

The debate about whether or not it's "in the wild" is peripheral to the OP. I understand the distinction, but don't really find it necessary. In any case, I think the best way to approach a situation like this is with genuine interest. I'm not going to walk up with a  checkbook and ask to buy it. Rather, I'll approach them casually and ask about the grill. I'll let them tell me what it means to them, and we'll go from there. Depending on what they say, I may not make an offer at all. Regardless of how it turns out, I'll do my best to ensure the current owner feels respected, not coerced.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
Yeah I absolutely agree. Strike up a conversation with someone. I would do the same thing if I saw a Harley or old car in someone's garage or driveway. They may have a cool story to tell about it. Maybe even tell them about the WKC and invite them to the next local gathering. You might just make a friend. I think your vantage of thoughtfulness and respect to the owners is a good one to have!

Cheers!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »

No, anywhere....

In the wild means a grill in its natural habitat that you happen to come across. A grills natural habitat is anywhere on someone's property. It doesn't make any difference whether it is clean, dirty, well cared for, behind a shed with stuff piled on top of it or in a pristine backyard. It just needs to be in its natural habitat.  It doesn't imply that a kettle is unloved or unwanted. That's my understanding of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It also doesn't mean it's somehow more attainable or not. Usually it's the latter.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
By my definition, all of our grills are "in the wild" if for some reason another member stumbled across another members back yard by accident but that would be very rare.