Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lime spotted in the wild!  (Read 3666 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Lime spotted in the wild!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
I didn't know someone's backyard was considered "the wild?"

I thought that was relegated to swap meets, garage sales, discount stores, etc.?

No, anywhere....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah we may have to agree to disagree on that one. If it were dusty or near a brush pile I may be more inclined to agree. Judging by their backyard and their color accents, they probably use it occasionally and like the color. I guess I wouldn't call my backyard, or another kettle heads backyard, "the wild." My wife's aunt has a 22" Avacado in their backyard. They use it all the time because they like mid-century modern stuff (burnt orange, green, yellow, etc.). I've offered to clean it for them, but I've never offered to buy it...because they use it and enjoy it. Just because they don't have multiple kettles doesn't mean it isn't loved and appreciated.

In the wild means a grill in its natural habitat that you happen to come across. A grills natural habitat is anywhere on someone's property. It doesn't make any difference whether it is clean, dirty, well cared for, behind a shed with stuff piled on top of it or in a pristine backyard. It just needs to be in its natural habitat.  It doesn't imply that a kettle is unloved or unwanted. That's my understanding of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It also doesn't mean it's somehow more attainable or not. Usually it's the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Interesting. I don't think I quite thought of it like that: as animal in a habitat. Maybe you're right?

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
I didn't know someone's backyard was considered "the wild?"

I thought that was relegated to swap meets, garage sales, discount stores, etc.?

No, anywhere....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah we may have to agree to disagree on that one. If it were dusty or near a brush pile I may be more inclined to agree. Judging by their backyard and their color accents, they probably use it occasionally and like the color. I guess I wouldn't call my backyard, or another kettle heads backyard, "the wild." My wife's aunt has a 22" Avacado in their backyard. They use it all the time because they like mid-century modern stuff (burnt orange, green, yellow, etc.). I've offered to clean it for them, but I've never offered to buy it...because they use it and enjoy it. Just because they don't have multiple kettles doesn't mean it isn't loved and appreciated.

In the wild means a grill in its natural habitat that you happen to come across. A grills natural habitat is anywhere on someone's property. It doesn't make any difference whether it is clean, dirty, well cared for, behind a shed with stuff piled on top of it or in a pristine backyard. It just needs to be in its natural habitat.  It doesn't imply that a kettle is unloved or unwanted. That's my understanding of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It also doesn't mean it's somehow more attainable or not. Usually it's the latter.

Interesting. I don't think I quite thought of it like that: as animal in a habitat. Maybe you're right?

Holy crap. Just go get the thing.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 07:26:58 AM »
Holy crap. Just go get the thing.

Ya, this ...

Concerning the semantics of "the wild" discussion … Perhaps Marty ( @56MPG ) needs to clarify and add it to this list.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/wkc-glossary-2017/

I have always assumed that it meant seeing one other than on your own property …. i.e. "anywhere" , as @zavod44 mentioned …

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 07:49:04 AM »
Done.

Wild    AKA: "In the Wild" or simply "the Wild". A reference to seeing (and preferably photographing) a kettle out there in the real world; at retail, on or in someone else's property, on public property, on the curb, in a dumpster - basically anywhere. If it's not your kettle on or in your property, it's in the wild.
Retired

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 08:31:47 AM »
Spotted this while looking for homes for sale online. I've been contemplating knocking on their door and asking if they are leaving it with the house or taking it with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 08:35:39 AM »
Hello, my name is Brandon and I'm a Weberholic.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »
Buy the home contingent if they include the Weber. lol

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 02:35:09 PM »
Well, I finally got over there and spoke with the owner of the nice lime. It's been in his family since his parents bought it new about 45 years ago. After his mother passed he put it on his back patio and still uses it from time to time. "It's pretty sentimental," he said.

I didn't even make an offer because he clearly wasn't interested in selling it, but I'll probably stop by again next summer.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
Point him to the WKC to help him keep it as pristine as possible.