Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Most/Least Rewarding Part of a Rehab  (Read 2338 times)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Most/Least Rewarding Part of a Rehab
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »
For me the best part of a kettle rehab is bringing an old worn out handle back to life.  Followed by polishing the lid vent.

The worst, cleaning daisy wheels. No one sees them, but my OCD tells me that it should be done to finish the restore.

How about you all? What's the best/worst part?

My most recent work...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Re: Most/Least Rewarding Part of a Rehab
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »
Seeing the bowl clean and shiny is always nice. I'm with you on the handle though...
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:48:44 AM »
Most rewarding: cleaning the bowl and lid. I can always get that showroom shine.
Least rewarding: ash pan and food grate. Too much effort just to get them to an ok level. Almost got a sandblasting box for the grates.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
least: putting in a weekend of work and knowing it still won't be as clean as @Jeff's kettles.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
I have so much admiration for the work you guys put into these restores. It's all I can do to drag mine to the yard and hose them down once in a while. I'd love them to be shiny pretty but then I wake up and realize that would last about three seconds as mine have always lived out on the deck/patio and are never covered. Oh well, at least they get constant loving use...

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »
I agree with the others about cleaning the daisy wheel vents...those are tough!  The ash pan is a bitch too.  Sometimes its just easier to put a replica pan on now.  You can't beat the look of a new pan!
The triangle can be bad too...often they're just too far gone to justify the effort.  Whenever I come across a decent triangle on a beater grill...I'll take and put the beater triangle where it belongs...with the beater grill.
I also enjoy trying to salvage original handles...sometimes they come out even better than new.  Wheels are fun too.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »
For me the best part of a kettle rehab is bringing an old worn out handle back to life.  Followed by polishing the lid vent.

The worst, cleaning daisy wheels. No one sees them, but my OCD tells me that it should be done to finish the restore.

How about you all? What's the best/worst part?

My most recent work...

I gave up on Daisy wheels and lid vents.  I have ZERO pacients for these areas and I suck at it.  Great job with yours though.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:01:43 AM »
I hate doing the triangle and ash pan. In fact, I've even stopped going crazy on the pan, because they all wind up getting dirty again.
I don't really mind doing the top vent, but when it comes to the daisy wheels, I know what you mean, it's hard to put in all the work when you know no one will see it...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »
You think you can bring this handle back to better than new if I send it to you @Neil_VT00?

Lol. 

Inside of the bowl was probably my favorite until I figured out vent lids.  I rarely clean the inside of the lid.  That is probably my least favorite.  The carbon there just seems to be baked on a lot harder than the bowl.  Still debating doing my daisy wheels on my Avocado.  They are going to suck.

Don't have a good close up of my handle for some reason, but it has a lot of missing wood.

I did a how to polish a lid vent post on a FB group.  I'll have to post it in the forums when I have a chance.

And you are right about the reproduction ash pans looking good @Jeff !!!  (Thanks again @greenweb )

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:06:08 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
Sure @MikeRocksTheRed, a little 220 grit and spar varnish will make that thing look new.  Your cado keeps looking better and better. 

I find the key to cleaning the lid is a nice sharp blade.  I used 3 blades on my 26er lid.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »

Sure @MikeRocksTheRed, a little 220 grit and spar varnish will make that thing look new.  Your cado keeps looking better and better. 

I find the key to cleaning the lid is a nice sharp blade.  I used 3 blades on my 26er lid.

Not sure if 220 grit will fix this one!

This one is from my Red MT I picked up last Friday for $25.  In amazing shape. Didn't even need to be cleaned.  The handles though....  Tried to do a light sanding in hopes of the Weber logo and lines showing.  Hit it with some golden oak stain.  Didn't quite come out like I had hoped.  I'll probably give them a good sanding now and print out the lettering and lines in transfer paper and apply them to he handles. 

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Most/Least Rewarding Part of a Rehab
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »
I wonder if you could just hit the lettering with a dark color marker to make them stand out and then put some spar on them. I guess the risk would be the marker bleeding out into the surrounding areas.

Also, congrats on the MT. It's like Christmas in Denver...

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:59:19 PM by Neil_VT00 »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
I wonder if you could just hit the lettering with a dark color marker to make them stand out and then put some spar on them. I guess the risk would be the marker bleeding out into the surrounding areas.

Also, congrats on the MT. It's like Christmas in Denver...

I thought about it, but I think I am going to print it mirrored then use some transfer gel.  This Red MT is sweet!  Look at where the handle joins the lid. No rust or wear whatsoever!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »
Yes it is Mike. Just like my SSP. Love the redheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:05 PM »
Favorite: Cleaning the inside of the lid and bowl
Least Favorite: Cleaning grates