Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal lighting on performer  (Read 2805 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Charcoal lighting on performer
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
My process is screwed up. First time I used the performer I used a chimney. Second time I look and see old coal on the grate.  I just added a little coal and lit it right on the grate for a direct cook tonight.  (Just getting started tonight). Anyways this gas assist thing throws options and monkey wrenches into something I've been doing forever. In a good way as I had no option but the chimney before.

Question is what do you guys usually do. Always light a chimney?  Light from baskets?  Light directly off grate then place in baskets or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

magonzo

• Smokey Joe
Re: Charcoal lighting on performer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:39:50 PM »
I still use the chimney for most cooks.  I tried the baskets, and it seemed to take much longer to get all of the charcoal going for a direct cook.  On some slow cooks, I will use the basket but just light one end to get a low and slow fire going.
Rescued SSP Red, OTS, Jumbo Joe, Genesis Silver B, Weber Q, GnGo Anywhere

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
I use a chimney over the burner tube most of the time.  It helps measure how much charcoal you are using and it's easy to dump out the coal.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »
Chimney. I cut the vented area off the chimney to get the fire closer to the coals. Seems to work faster. I usually only run the gas for 5 minutes or so then let the chimney do the work.

I don't use old coals on the bottom of chimney. I feel like it doesn't allow for good airflow and takes a bit longer. I place some new coals in the bottom 1/4 then fill with the old coal. Or I knock the fur off the old coals, make a bed of em, then throw half a chimney on top of em.

Lol! More options for ya. My bad
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
I always use a chimney in any kettle. Exception to this rule of mine is when doing low n slow in the SnS. Then I put 6-8 coals in a stack over the burner tube and light them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »
I light charcoal the old-fashioned way, in a pyramid shaped pile over the burner.   The only time I use the chimney starter is when I'm cooking "hot and fast" on the SnS.    In that case, I only light the gas for a couple of minutes.   I do the same as MINIgrillin does, in that I'll put new charcoal on the bottom, and top it off with used.

After reading this thread, however, I may re-consider and start using the chimney more often.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »
Wow!  Great responses. I think I'll probably end using the chimney more often than not so I'm using a measured amount of coal like I have always done.

I'm still cooking. The wife said to fire up the grill for pork chops so I fired up the performer. Then went inside and saw she had plenty of veggies for me to cook as well. I used the match light in another chimney to fire up the ots. Matchlight came with the performer [emoji23][emoji23]

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
I have used the gas assist a couple of times and I prefer to just use the chimney.  I see the gas assist as just a gimmick.  I have started using the lighter cubes with the chimney and kinda like those.

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:14:07 PM »
I start coals on my performer in a chimney most of the time.  In the charcoal baskets when I use them , or inside the vortex on the charcoal grate.

Depends on the type of cook I have goin' on

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
Damn. All these options. I'm going to have to re learn how to grill lol

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »
I'm out of gas now so I'm back to lighter cubes. I really don't notice a difference in gas assist or lighter cubes. Matter of pushing a button or using a lighter IMO. Do what you like bro, we've seen your food, you know how to start fire.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »

I'm out of gas now so I'm back to lighter cubes. I really don't notice a difference in gas assist or lighter cubes. Matter of pushing a button or using a lighter IMO. Do what you like bro, we've seen your food, you know how to start fire.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Bells and whistles are just that. Kettle cooking is fantastic no matter how the fire is lit.

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 02:54:34 AM »
Chimney on top of the charcoal grate for 3 minutes is good enough for me...the 1 lb propane tank lasts a long time. Its really useful when I need to fire more coals up for the WSM.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 03:45:30 AM »
I flipped the charcoal holder upside down in a chimney which puts the coals really close to the flame.  It fires up a bit quicker.  A baby chimney works very well too an provides enough to fill one basket if you are cooking small.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 04:03:32 AM »
Coals in the Chimney and then over the gas assist.  Press the button and in minutes, I shut down the gas.  Then pour into the baskets or my poor-tex.

Just my $.02.

YMMV

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...