Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Model H Restoration  (Read 4257 times)

Brassjc

• Smokey Joe
Model H Restoration
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:04:51 AM »
Hi all,

So I found this by the side of the road in pieces and I'd like to restore to its glory. There was a lot of gunk inside, but a pressure clean later and a soft scrape and internally it's looking good. Now for the outside....

I have a couple of questions:
1. Dings- the lid has quite a few dings on the rim (and also the top handle is badly bent) -what's the best way to knock them out or leave them be?
2. Paint- I love the colour, but as you can see it has big patches missing, there's a graffiti tag on there I can't get off as well. I was going to treat the rust then repaint with a similar engine enamel blue (outside lid only). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Model H Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:12:19 AM »
Have you had a look at the restoration page on this site?  You might be able to get that graffiti off with a razor scraper.  If that's successful, follow the restoration procedure in here and only touch up the bare spots and not paint the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brassjc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:15:22 AM »
I think so, could you send me a link?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Model H Restoration
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 05:35:06 AM »
I think so, could you send me a link?

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/cleaning-and-polishing-old-aluminum-legs/

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/triangle-restoration-rust-removal/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/straightening-a-strap-handle-the-safe-and-easy-way/msg180611/#msg180611

This should give you a start. Your lid does have a lot of damage to it. One option other than painting is to just sand off any rust scale and dab cooking oil on them while heating to prevent further damage. You definitely can touch up your bad spots, but the paint will darken over time.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:37:50 AM by Travis »

Brassjc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 05:35:16 AM »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 06:11:28 AM »
@Brassjc , Thats a beautiful blue! Enjoy cleaning that up, follow what the others have said here, Then cook on it and show us what she does!

AND SOMEBODY NEEDS TO GET THIS DUDE SOME PROPER WHEELS!!!! 
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:13 AM »

@Brassjc- I don't see any huge dents in the pictures but the best way to get a dent out is with a rubber mallet. The dings along the rim can be gently straightened out by tapping them flat on a piece of wood. Only thing is it sometimes will cause a minor bit of porcelain to flake off.  Might not be an issue with as much  porcelain is already missing.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
@Brassjc - Welcome to the club! I love that shade of blue… great rescue!  I've had success removing paint with a boxcutter razor blade… you might want to give that a shot on the graffiti tag.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
Might get that paint off with Xylene or
Xylol.  We use it here at work and
it removed a gang tag off of our
delivery van like magic when all
others failed.
Certainly won't hurt the porcelain.

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
You might check out brake calliper paint to touch up the paint it holds up to heat and comes in many colors.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brassjc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll post pics at the next step

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
i like it !  gangsta kettle , love the battlescars . oil them up and display with pride .very cool score.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »
Leave it the way it is. Straight out the hood.. get a new handle and slap on some polished legs. Spinner wheels. That mofo is caddywompus with a gangster lean lid handle. It even has wire grocery cart wheels. It's an urban soldier.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
I agree with the other guys it's been around the block a few times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app