Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Juicy Lucy with "healthy" sides  (Read 2144 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Juicy Lucy with "healthy" sides
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »
Regan bought me a burger press last week so I decided to break it in tonight.   It's a three in one press that lets me do regular burgers, sliders or stuffed burgers so of course I went stuffed. 

85/15 ground beef mixed with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and worcestershire sauce.  This is what I've always used for burgers but was trying to make "juicy Lucy's" and it just happened that most of the recipes I found were the same seasoning I've alway used for burgers.  Two burgers were stuffed with American and two with provolone.   The burger press worked pretty good but was a little tricky at times. 

For sides tonight we went with grilled Brussels sprouts that were tossed in EVOO and balsamic then seasoned with some salt and pepper.  They went into my Weber grilling basket and got about 5 minutes of direct cooking over my slow-n-sear with one fully lit chimney of KBB. Then I added the burgers to the indirect side and slid the basket to indirect as well and added two small applewood chunks for some flavoring. The Brussels probably took another 8-10 minutes then were taken of and the burgers were moved to direct heat for 3 minutes a side give or take. 

The Brussels sprouts got some Parmesan cheese and a squeeze of fresh lemon.  We also cooked up some cauliflower tots in the oven as our second "healthy" side. 

The burgers were topped with heirloom tomato, red onion, leaf lettuce, mustard, mayo, and ketchup all on a toasted bun.

Everything came out great.  I'll definitely use the burger press again and look forward to getting that dialed in a little better.  I had some issue getting the press out when making the bottom half of the burger and then some issues pressing the top half hard enough to get the meat to really seal good to the bottom half of the burger. 

Anyway, here are the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

RumBar

• WKC Brave
Re: Juicy Lucy with "healthy" sides
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
Sweet Christmas! That looks amazing. I have never tried brussels, I am going to have try them this weekend. Those burgers are killer!! Great cook!

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:32:30 AM »
Great photos, great cook!! Yes it looks amazing!
May The Smoke Be With You!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Re: Juicy Lucy with healthy sides
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
Sweet Christmas! That looks amazing. I have never tried brussels, I am going to have try them this weekend. Those burgers are killer!! Great cook!

I'm surprised you haven't tried out Brussel Sprouts on the grill yet!  They are amazing.  I've been using my weber baskets recently but used my CI skillet before I got my basket.  If you cook a slice or two of bacon on the skillet first then do the sprouts cut side down they really turn out good, then you can add bacon crumbles post cook.  These sprouts were cooked to what I would call medium...a little soft a little crisp still.  If you like them softer, once they have a good caramelization on the flat side, add a little water to your skillet to and the sprouts will steam which makes them nice and soft.  With my baskets I usually go direct for part of the cook then indirect, but if I have my vortex cranked up for meat searing the sprouts will caramelize/brown all over just cooking indirect since the grill is so hot.  I don't always use balsamic, probably every other cook just to change it up since I make them so often.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Juicy Lucy with "healthy" sides
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:51:29 AM »
Nice looking cooking! 
I'm generally note a fan of brussel sprouts unless they're drenched in a balsamic reduction - I like your addition of parm and lemon juice too.  BTW, if you leave a small indention in the middle of your patties using your thumb, they won't "puff up" when cooked. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 11:09:50 AM »
Good looking cook and tips thanks Mike I got a burger stuffer from my secret santa time to break her out
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:17:15 AM »
Nice looking cooking! 
I'm generally note a fan of brussel sprouts unless they're drenched in a balsamic reduction - I like your addition of parm and lemon juice too.  BTW, if you leave a small indention in the middle of your patties using your thumb, they won't "puff up" when cooked. 

These burgers are stuffed so you can't really do the indentation trick since the top and bottom layers of ground beef aren't really thick enough to do that without giving the cheese a place to bubble out of.  My instructions did say to poke a few holes in the center of the burger after the first flip to allow steam to come out of the stuffed section.

Here's a visual:

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
Good looking cook and tips thanks Mike I got a burger stuffer from my secret santa time to break her out

Thanks!  I think the next time I will try using a square of wax paper when pressing the bottom half of the burger so the press will come out a little easier, then probably put a piece between the meat and the press when pressing the top half onto the bottom half.  I found that the press especially with the bottom half tended to stick to the meat a little as well as create some suction that made it a little tricky to get the press out.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
I love making Juicy Lucy's on the grill. I use a Colby/cheddar blend. Next time it's white American cheese (Boars head of course). They look delicious

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »
Oh man!  I just heated up a leftover burger. 1 minute in the microwave and it is just like the one I ate last night straight off of the grill.  Cheese got melts again and the burger still has some pinkness to it.  The microwave tends to cook any rareness out of a solid beef burger.   Good stuff!!!!!! 

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:46:19 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 04:31:31 AM »
Dang, that's some fine looking burgerage sir! And great photos!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »
Great looking cook Mike! I might need to track down a burger press!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 11:15:34 AM »
Awesome burgers!  Made cheese stuffed burgers before but not as cool as yours.  Where did you find the press?
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »
Oh boy! That looks amazing.  Pics so clear. It must be the Camera. I pretty much given up on taking clear pics with my small Canon Camera.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
Dude.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"