Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Project - Red SS Performer  (Read 6887 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
New Project - Red SS Performer
« on: December 02, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »
This grill was listed on CL this past week. It didn’t have any pics, or price in the ad, but did indicate that it was RED. Not really expecting any response, I sent an email the following day anyway. The guy actually got back to me and said he was giving it away for free and it might need some parts. I’m looking for a red SSP, so I hoped for the best and expected the worse. Well, I’ll let the pics tell the rest…

As you can see, this kettle has seen better days. Hey, it was free, so I’m not complaining! Surprisingly, the lid is in pretty good condition, considering the rest of it in really rough condition. For now, I plan to get the bowl and lid looking as good as I can. I’ll temporarily drop it into this frame and use it as my dedicated pizza cooker, just to see if I like it as a "keeper" color.

Around here, the older red SS Performers are not nearly as common as black and green ones are!

The red bowl doesn't have the gas assist feature, so I might make the cuts for that to work with my nicer cart.

I got a good start on it today and for those interested, I’ll update this thread as I get it cleaned up further.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: New Project - Red SS Performer
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 06:50:40 PM »
You got a lot of cool free junk to play with...kinda like a Weber/Erector set.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »
Nice looking Red and Free is always good! The Gas Assist is nice but Weber Lighter Cubes work just as well. If you want to venture on The Dark Side make Pube Cubes,,,,,

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 03:01:29 AM »
It's missing the ash castcher, are you going to convert to newer style sweeps and ash catcher?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 04:28:00 AM »
@Jason I just picked up a Red SSP a few weeks back as well. It's under renovation currently. Keep the pics coming, I could use the motivation! lol

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
New Project - Red SS Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 04:40:33 AM »
Nice score, I pulled apart my red SSP today too!  I needed to replace the old-style ash sweeper. 

Good luck with yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:42:26 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 05:10:51 AM »
@Hell Fire Grill  I enjoy the challenge, as it's a big part of Weberitis for me  :D

The Gas Assist is nice but Weber Lighter Cubes work just as well. If you want to venture on The Dark Side make Pube Cubes,,,,,

@Harleysmoker  I have a bunch of the lighter cubes. The pube cubes will have to wait for a really rainy day haha!

It's missing the ash castcher, are you going to convert to newer style sweeps and ash catcher?

@captjoe06  It did come with the ash bucket and ring. The sweeps are long gone though. I have an extra set of the newer style ash sweeps I might install, not sure just yet. I plan to rig it together the best I can and use it only for pizza, since it's gonna have plenty of air flow  :o  ;D Not sure what kinda life this kettle had, but the bowl looks like swiss cheese lol.

I don't mind the time spent to clean it up, but have no plans to sink any money into this one.

Keep the pics coming, I could use the motivation! lol

@JordanW  Will do!

@Mr.CPHo  I'll still be on the lookout for a red that's as nice as the one in your pic!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 05:15:42 AM »
Keep us posted along the way.   I really like watching the progress on other's projects.

I'd read somewhere here about upgrading the non gas assist SSPs with heavy-duty castors.  Any info on that topic? (Sorry, Jason, not trying to hijack)

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
Here are a few pictures of my red SS performer that I restored in 2009.  If I remember correctly, it's a 1995 model.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »
Here are a few more pictures.  I still have this grill but have not used it in quite a while.  It now has a different SS top that was in better shape than the one shown in the pictures that I took off of another black SS performer that I used to own.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
Ok, I got the bowl and lid cleaned up pretty well.

I also removed the rusted out parts of the old style ash sweep assembly. I have a spare new style ash sweep assembly I may put on there. I don't want to buy any new parts at this point. The aluminum ash ring and bucket are in good enough condition, so I'm hoping to get those back on there somehow. I know I have seen a few tricks and mods to make this work, so I’ll start searching for those.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
Search for hose clamp. You can attach the ring with hose clamps fairly easily. If you are more skilled and have more tools you could use pop rivets and make metal clips like the new rings have.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »
Looking good so far[emoji1417]

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 01:06:30 AM »
Coming along nicely. Red SSP's are the sexiest IMO
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 04:02:58 AM »
You got it looking good.