Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Project - Red SS Performer  (Read 6888 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Project - Red SS Performer
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 07:25:42 PM »
I made cuts to install the gas assist components.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:30:11 PM by Jason »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 07:59:10 PM »
Looking good, Jason! Let me know if you need anything for the restoration.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »
If it's the same as my red SSP I use my kettle pizza on you are going to be in for a treat your first pizza cook on it. Talk about a color changing kettle!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 01:42:37 AM »
Great job.  Skill level 10 making those cuts!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 03:33:38 AM »

Great job.  Skill level 10 making those cuts!

No kidding! I'd probably be missing a finger and have a wrecked bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 04:09:42 AM »
Nice work!! Looking forward to the final product.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 05:42:25 AM »
I made cuts to install the gas assist components.

Nice clean job on that!

Anyone drill out 2 bowl holding brackets to convert reg. kettle to a performer gas assist?   

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »

Nice clean job on that!

Anyone drill out 2 bowl holding brackets to convert reg. kettle to a performer gas assist?

No, but I bought a performer that had used a regular kettle by just setting the handles on the SSP frame and then holding in place with wood and bolts.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »
Man nice job on the cutout?
How did you manage to do the oval part so clean!?

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »
Man nice job on the cutout?
How did you manage to do the oval part so clean!?

@WNC Thanks!

I made pilot holes with a drill and used a Dremel tool to shape it. I made my template from another "gas assist" bowl I had.

I'm working on the project again today and hope to have it mostly done. I'll post an up-date with more pics.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »
Since the older style ash sweep was shot, I made some ash ring supports from aluminum strips I found at work. They were about .75" x 4". I just used regular pliers and a metal file to shape them.

All of that rust corrosion, will only add extra air-flow for cooking pizzas!  ;D

Here are the tabs, after a bit of fine tuning. Each tab has a unique shape. The piece on the left is what I started with. The piece on top was for test fitting. 

Tabs installed and ready to go.

Everything assembled, to see what’s next.

The ash bucket looks like crap, but I'm pretty happy with the progress, so far...

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2016, 01:54:29 AM »
Since the older style ash sweep was shot, I made some ash ring supports from aluminum strips I found at work. They were about .75" x 4". I just used regular pliers and a metal file to shape them.

All of that rust corrosion, will only add extra air-flow for cooking pizzas!  ;D

Here are the tabs, after a bit of fine tuning. Each tab has a unique shape. The piece on the left is what I started with. The piece on top was for test fitting. 

Tabs installed and ready to go.

Everything assembled, to see what’s next.

The ash bucket looks like crap, but I'm pretty happy with the progress, so far...

Looks great Jason.  I'm afraid it's a little past my skill level I'm thinking to cut the tabs and stuff.   The Ash Catcher bar on the Blue SSP I picked up yesterday doesn't look like it has a whole lot of life left in it.  I'm considering to switch over to the newer style. The red fade SSP's are the prettiest IMO. 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 04:09:29 AM »
@captjoe06, there's a member here who makes replacements for the ash catcher bar.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 04:18:18 AM »
@captjoe06, there's a member here who makes replacements for the ash catcher bar.

I read that but I thought that was long ago and they'd be all gone.  Truth be told I haven't futzed around with it all that much yet to see how bad it was but it had a little bit of drooping action.  I might just use wire fishing leader that I'd used successfully on a green SSP project.  The handle on the ash bucket and the ash catcher bar are both very rusted but the gas assist fired up first try and the frame is solid without rust.
Considering bringing it down the dock to be a daily driver.

On another subject,  I may or may not [emoji6] have found a place that said they'd fill the old SSP propane tanks. Next time I'm driving down that way I'm going to bring both ranks to get filled. Should last a while!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 07:00:32 AM »
The Ash Catcher bar on the Blue SSP I picked up yesterday doesn't look like it has a whole lot of life left in it.  I'm considering to switch over to the newer style.

The leg sockets on this older red would need to be modified to accept the newer style ash ring and bucket. The slots where the tabs would go are not the same as the newer bowls.

The lid and bowl will get a final detailing, along with the ash ring. I'm on the lookout for an ash bucket and handle in better condition that what I have on there now, as I won't be spending any time detailing those...too shot.

Technically, the kettle is ready to start cooking on... :)