Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Random thoughts about Summit Charcoal Grill  (Read 3116 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Random thoughts about Summit Charcoal Grill
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:14:03 PM »
Seems like I haven't heard much about these since shortly after they were released. Any thoughts on the market for them, 7 months after the release? Is it the best charcoal grill ever made? Black Friday sale, maybe? Anyone willing to send me one to demo?  8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Random thoughts about Summit Charcoal Grill
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 10:19:02 PM »
I'll send you one....just sit and wait for it to arrive

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 01:45:32 AM »
Seems like I haven't heard much about these since shortly after they were released. Any thoughts on the market for them, 7 months after the release? Is it the best charcoal grill ever made? Black Friday sale, maybe? Anyone willing to send me one to demo?  8)
Check out Baby back Manic on youtube best videos on the summit!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:42:32 AM »
I'll send you one....just sit and wait for it to arrive

Thanks! Hope it come via Santa express.

Check out Baby back Manic on youtube best videos on the summit!

Ya, that dude is hilarious.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »
Yes..yes Santa will be delivering it.  I think the boogie man and the Easter bunny are loading it up the sleigh....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Dtrouty

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:06:52 PM »
Well I FINALLY was able to take the time to do a smoke on the Summit yesterday. It was a busy day with the holidays however I had to try out the smoke mode on this bad boy. My intention was to keep it simple stupid and go as bare-bones and with as little hands on a possible. At the end of the evening I was shocked by how easy this thing is to smoke on. One thing that I will have to learn is how LITTLE charcoal to use; not how much to use. More on that later. So I figured a max six hour cook time for the ribs so I added six scoops from the included charcoal bowl. Turned on the gas-assist for 7 minutes per instructions. Turned off the gas assist. Within 10 minutes I was at 225. I was really shocked how fast it came to temp. Slid the intake to "smoke-mode" threw on some chunks of pecan, added the baffle plate and choked down the exhaust. I was really worried that I would overshoot the temp since it came to temp so fast however it didn't...at all. Ok maybe 230 but that doesn't count. I walked inside, grabbed the spare ribs and had the meat on and going within 20 minutes of scooping charcoal! So I waited and watched the Maverick....no spikes, no dips, so much so I walked outside to make sure the Maverick's transmitter was still working. Six hours later, with no charcoal or wood to add, I walked outside and pulled the rack. I did not wrap like I usually do since I wanted to see how well it performed hands off. I could not have been more impressed.....well that's actually not true. This morning I opened up the grill and looked under the baffle plate to see how much charcoal was left...WTF. This thing ran six hours on six scoops of KBB and it looked like 2/3 had yet to be burnt....I took a pic. So I actually was able to be more impressed. Then after condensing the leftover pile, it looked like I had closer to 3/4 of the charcoal left. So I had to take another pic. Now I honestly can't say how this compares to a smoke on a 22" or 26" kettle since I usually smoke
on a dedicated smoker, so the results might be just as good with them too but I must say for having only one grill that grills and smokes like this, without using a charcoal chimney, without a BBQ Guru, without adding charcoal and wood, I could not be happier. Now I'm still hesitant to say it would be worth 2k to someone who is skilled with a Performer and a WSM but when Weber went out there and tried to make a charcoal grill/smoker as convenient as a gas grill, they really hit the mark. The only thing that I am waiting on is to see if the Kamado Joe, Big Jotisserie will work on the Summit since the grill grates are interchangeable.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll find you, Westerner

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »
Damn! That's a lot of left over fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
I know @ctwhyme  had some strong opinions about the SCG at the meetup in August. Those opinions may or may not have been fueled partially by a few beverages  ;)
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 01:57:14 PM »

Wow, that is amazing Don.  Now find me an estate sale SCG priced like yours please.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Dtrouty

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »

Wow, that is amazing Don.  Now find me an estate sale SCG priced like yours please.
Your Sac Area Eyes are always looking!

I will say that the Baby Back Maniac's YouTube reviews are absolutely spot on from the pros, cons, and indifferents he mentions. On the Brethren forums it looks like he just sold his Komodo Kamado after putting it in the garage and let the Summit take its place. I think that's a pretty big statement right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll find you, Westerner

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 02:48:50 PM »
That's my grail for sure. Just looks like an amazing cooker.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
Ribs look great too!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts, @Dtrouty. I saw my first summit the other day and thought it was just ok. The size of the grill still makes it feel a little wobbly with all that sheet metal going on. Hopefully I'll find one on CL soon to give it a test run.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:49:02 PM by pbe gummi bear »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics and of the cook.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 05:05:32 AM »
Great insight!

Webers rule