Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash catcher on 18" question  (Read 2513 times)

buttman

• WKC Brave
Ash catcher on 18" question
« on: December 20, 2016, 09:50:21 AM »
I picked up a blue 18" that was missing the ash tray so I thought I would install the OTG system being as it will be used on a wooden deck.
I ordered part 65131 and knew I would have to do some modifications because the grill is a '99 with the older style leg sockets.
Surprisingly, two of the clips fit nicely into two leg sockets. The third was off so I used the hose clamp trick. Everything was nice and secure but when I looked at it I realized all three vents extended past the wall of the ash catcher.
This can't be right. When you "sweep", some of the ash will fall outside the catcher. The diameter seems like it's too small.
Did I buy the wrong part or am I just missing something incredibly stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Ash catcher on 18" question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
@buttman -  Does your grill have three long slots for the vent or three sets of three holes?  Just want to confirm you don't have a 3 vent daisy wheel model.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

buttman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:07:04 AM »
Three long slots. The cleaning handle lined up perfectly with the slots on the new catcher. Everything operates as it should. I can plug the area that extends out if I have to. I just want to make sure I didn't do something stupid. I've been known to do that!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
Three long slots. The cleaning handle lined up perfectly with the slots on the new catcher. Everything operates as it should. I can plug the area that extends out if I have to. I just want to make sure I didn't do something stupid. I've been known to do that!

Interesting.  I'm sure someone will know what's up with this!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Ash catcher on 18" question
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »
The OT slots were thinner & longer, until they offered an 18" OTG (early 2000's?). That's when they switched to wider & shorter OT slots, since the original design extended past leg sockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:09:07 AM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »
@buttman - I remember reading a least one thread discussing this same issue when adding a OTG ash catcher to 18'ers.  I believe that is the way it fits. Beings as though you will be over a wooden deck, you could cut three small pieces of aluminum or sheet metal and wedge them between the bowl and the top of the ring.  That would deflect any ash into the ash catcher and would have minimal loss of air by blocking those exposed areas outside the ash catcher ring.

BTW, I tried searching for the threads with pictures of the same issue but could not find it/them.  Maybe the author or someone else can find and post them.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
Did I buy the wrong part or am I just missing something incredibly stupid.

@buttman , No, nothing stupid.  That's just the way it is.  I encountered the same thing here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/one-touch-vent-size/

I don't let it bother me.  Since acquiring this red 18, I have also acquired a black 18" OTG from the early 2000s. 
The intakes are different on the black …. Not as long, and slightly wider.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
I'd be tempted to cover the holes with small pieces of foil tape. They don't stick out far. I don't think they would be visible.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 01:17:47 PM »
I'd be tempted to cover the holes with small pieces of foil tape. They don't stick out far. I don't think they would be visible.

I actually did that with my above mentioned mod.  It was done on the inside of the bowl, and the sweeps eventually wrecked the tape.
I suppose it could be done on the outside, but the glue will degrade over time with exposure to the extreme heat.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 01:20:53 PM »

I actually did that with my above mentioned mod.  It was done on the inside of the bowl, and the sweeps eventually wrecked the tape.
I suppose it could be done on the outside, but the glue will degrade over time with exposure to the extreme heat.

Yeah I was referring to putting small pieces on the outside. Your probably right about the adhesive degrading but would probably worth a trial run to see.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 01:22:58 PM »
I'd probably try it with nothing for awhile to see how much actually spills out. Probably not much?

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »
Wow things that we encounter

Webers rule

buttman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your help! I'll figure something out, it's not gonna be used much. I bought it for my 7 yr old granddaughter to learn on. She helps me make rubs and said she wants to learn how to cook hamburgers and hotdogs. Should be interesting...Lol!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »
@buttman What is the date of your Blue 18? Not that is matters now you found out the hard way as well.

I found that out when I modified my 18" Red "G-Spot". I swapped out the ash can assembly off an 18" OTG. And I believe it was @Troy that mentioned that the one-touch vents were larger on the oldies.

Also what I found on the 18's was the leg socket orientation is off somewhat - (unlike the older 22's) and I was able to trim a little off the ring tab to make it a clean solid fit without drilling and using self tapping screws or the hose clamps.

At first I was a little peeved buy the gap and stuck some high temp 3M duct tape over it, but I usually empty the ash before each cook and its never been a problem for me.

Since I took pics of the mod, I added Cajun Bandit legs and found a drum barrel lid for it to cook over as all my other cookers I use galvanized drip pans from NAPA when cooking on the wood deck.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:43:30 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

buttman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 04:28:46 PM »
It's a 1999. I'll try it the way it is and if turns out to be an issue I'll try some of the things everyone has suggested. Thanks everyone.