Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey Throw down 2016  (Read 9550 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Turkey Throw down 2016
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
@Cellar2ful , LOL, glad to hear that wasnt your bird pictured! Thanks for the info, I was going to use a set up kind of like I did at my family BBQ last month... I put an onion on the spit first then ran the chicken down onto it, the another onion into the neck cavity, it seemed to help "center" it and keep movement to a minimum. I have a turkey thawing now for a test run next weekend, just need to decide on smoking in my WSM or spinnin it on the roti!  Thanks again Jim.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
I am getting a wsm this week and I think I will be doing spatchcock on it as a change of pace.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 04:35:57 AM »
Change in plans: Going to purchase prebrined Trader Joe's and spin it on the Roto on the kettle.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 04:42:50 AM »
Change in plans: Going to purchase prebrined Trader Joe's and spin it on the Roto on the kettle.

That sounds really good. What do you season your turkey with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 04:49:38 AM »

That sounds really good. What do you season your turkey with?

I have a packet of herbs de provence that I will mix with some olive oil and and use that to season.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Turkey Throw down 2016
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »
This is free style turkey night. I'm cooking this strictly to have leftovers because we don't host. I got a little impatient and decided to throw it on tonight with just what I had on hand. I've got some cherry wood rolling. I'm cooking breast down to start then I'll flip. All vents wide open [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:57:29 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Turkey Throw down 2016
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 04:41:28 PM »
Finished product. Ingredients:  salt pepper butter and onion in the cavity. First turkey I've ever cooked.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:17:15 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Turkey Throw down 2016
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:59:01 AM by HoosierKettle »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »
Looks good Hoosier!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 05:53:37 PM »
Thanks. I was very happy with it for a half hearted attempt. If I would have cooked it on thanksgiving something would have been sure to go wrong. It turned out juicy. After eating it for dinner I may have to go get another small one tomorrow. Didn't end up with as much leftover as I was hoping for. I feel like it turned out much better than a traditional oven turkey but not quite as good as a deep fried turkey.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »
This year I'm doing a rotisserie turkey for the 1st time. Last couple Thanksgivings I've done it in my 14.5 WSM and before that I usually did a fried bird.
I picked up a Fresh 14# bird from Meijer (their branded bird) this year because I liked what the label had to say or really what it DIDN'T say. I was brining it myself and didn't want excess salt, flavorings, etc.

Here's the brine I use and if you haven't tried this...OMG, it's fabulous. Ingredients in order, Sea Salt, Apples, Juniper Berries, Lemon Peel, Star Anise, Garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, Black Pepper, Onion and Bay Leaf. I buy it right online after the holiday when they mark it way WAY down.

Got the brine ready before bed last night and got the bird into the tub at 8 this morning. I'll be flipping it about 8 tonight and it'll be swimming till 8 in the morning tomorrow.

24 hours later, rinsed and into the fridge for about 4-5 hours to dry the skin a lil bit.

The set up, indirect with a large pan(I want to keep the inside as clean as possible) and Weber pan to catch the drippings for gravy.
I'm using Stubbs today and chunk of Cherry for a light smoke

This was about a 13.5lb. bird and it took about 2:45 to cook. 165* in the thigh

On the platter

Sliced and ready to eat, super moist and the cherry gave it a nice mellow smoke

Sweet potatoes and green been casserole were heated on the grill as well. Homemade stuffing,roasted garlic mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce round out our traditional meal. We gave thanks for a great meal and an even greater family.    ;D

I hope everyones' Thanksgiving was as good as ours was.   PEACE

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:52:15 AM by Scott Zee »
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2016, 12:21:22 PM »
Got my 21 lb fresh turkey all ready. Creole butter injection, going on the WSM with the Cajun bandit rotisserie at 7am. Using a little bit of cherry

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2016, 12:29:30 PM »

Got my 21 lb fresh turkey all ready. Creole butter injection, going on the WSM with the Cajun bandit rotisserie at 7am. Using a little bit of cherry

Just used cherry on my little 12 pounder. Excellent choice.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »
I went to pick up my "Fresh" turkey yesterday. The owner rang me out. I asked when the bird was killed and the owner says, "I don't know? We got them Monday so I guess it was last week." I hesitate and say ok. I took the bird home, look on the packaging for a kill date and the bird is from Detroit! I live in southern Il. I thought Detroit had been abandoned let alone have a Amish turkey farm there!
I guess you can use the term "fresh" loosely. I was expecting to see a guy with a mop bucket cleaning up when I got there or kind of how @varekai explained it earlier. Oh well, live and learn. Still gonna be a blessed day.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Enjoy your families and your sweatpants!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2016, 07:53:01 PM »
@Travis , It can be used very loosely. I watched a Good Eats episode, I love Alton Brown, and he explained some of the terminology.."These days, turkeys come fresh, frozen and somewhere in between. That "in between" category is courtesy of a recent USDA ruling on labeling. "Fresh" turkeys have to be stored at 26 degrees Fahrenheit or above; frozen turkeys have to be stored at 0 degrees Fahrenheit or below. But what happens to the turkeys stored between one and 25 degrees Fahrenheit? There's no name for them; some producers call them "refrigerated," while others call them "hard-chilled or "not previously frozen."... SO, unless you watch it being done or do it yourself, its all just "frozen". Enjoy your Thanksgiving EVERYONE!!!! 
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.