Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Noob needs help identifying grill  (Read 2668 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Noob needs help identifying grill
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
Hi guys, sorry for the noob questions here. I need help identifying this cute new grill that @dazzo gave me the lead for. It kinda looks like a smokey joe but much bigger and still short. It doesn't seem to be an 18.5" as the grate size slightly different than my 18.5" grill. The vents are also on the side- wtf? Will this thing even cook a Chicago-style polish sausage? Whats the best way to set up charcoal on this thing? I like the lid locking contraption but does anyone know what the silver appendage sticking out of it is? Is the color original? The edge of the rim looks burnt and could use some touching up. I'm not really a fan of the red color anyway so maybe I'll paint it black to match my Ranch and 26.75" kettles. I also heard that (Gummi?) bears are attracted to red and I'm worried that a (real) bear will snatch it when I'm camping. What's a good paint to use? Top vent is stamped WEBER.

Hope my pic below shows up. I'd appreciate any information you can give me on how awesome this grill is. Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:36:46 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Noob needs help identifying grill
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »
I'm thinkin it'll never heat up and you need to send it to me so I can figure out why...😉
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:35:03 AM »
BTW, welcome  ;D
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
That's a Walmart special. Not many made because well no one wanted them due to poor performance. I run a boneyard for this particular grill. I'll pm my address to you for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 10:52:28 AM »
omg noooooo! do not paint ,the minerals will interact with all paints and cause a meltdown , and yes wkc bears are very attracted to red kettles ,best to just send it to my house where it could be safely handled ;).ha just kidding ! they do cook a little slow due to oxygen deprivation ,(needs a vent on the bottom) however I'm sure there are plenty of members on this site who will happily trade you for any black kettles they might have .

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »
Ha! Now that's funny. [emoji23]
Better watch out for them bears while camping... I'd hate to be the one to have to wash it off after they eat it. [emoji90]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
Hi guys, sorry for the noob questions here. I need help identifying this cute new grill that @dazzo gave me the lead for. It kinda looks like a smokey joe but much bigger and still short. It doesn't seem to be an 18.5" as the grate size slightly different than my 18.5" grill. The vents are also on the side- wtf? Will this thing even cook a Chicago-style polish sausage? Whats the best way to set up charcoal on this thing? I like the lid locking contraption but does anyone know what the silver appendage sticking out of it is? Is the color original? The edge of the rim looks burnt and could use some touching up. I'm not really a fan of the red color anyway so maybe I'll paint it black to match my Ranch and 26.75" kettles. I also heard that (Gummi?) bears are attracted to red and I'm worried that a (real) bear will snatch it when I'm camping. What's a good paint to use? Top vent is stamped WEBER.

Hope my pic below shows up. I'd appreciate any information you can give me on how awesome this grill is. Thanks in advance!

Man I texted that guy no less than 2 hours after he posted it in SF.... He didn't even respond to me. How the heck did you get so lucky? Haha. Congrats.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
Man o man.  Soooooo sexy.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 02:11:43 PM »
Lol! I'll trade you a black one for that red if you really don't like it....

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »
Making it glow red ought to be easy? And touch up paint ought to fix any inconsistencies around the center. And if all that fails just lean on it real good with steel wool.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:14:52 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
Well, it really wasn't so much a heads up as it was an agent request

Welcome noob

:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dude, relax your chicken.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
man o man.....it's a beauty
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 04:20:35 PM »
Nice score. Yes I would paint it black.
May The Smoke Be With You!

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »
Very nice!!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
So ... it's a crimson .. don't paint it... I have a 2001 ska
Still in the box unopened I will trad you for
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!