Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Protection  (Read 2773 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Protection
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:00:16 AM »
I'm curious how many use a dust mask while razor blade scraping and scouring with steel wool? Yesterday, while cleaning my Chestnut, I noticed a lot of steel wool dust floating around. Today I noticed some black residue after blowing my nose. It worries me that this stuff is getting in my lungs. How bad is steel wool dust in the lungs? I do wear eye protection while using the razor and now I will start using a dust mask.
May The Smoke Be With You!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Protection
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 07:03:14 AM »
Never thought of it but now I will. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 08:28:55 AM »
Good thought.   Better safe than sorry. What if you used something like dawn soap while using the razor and steel wool.  Would that help to keep the dust down?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »
Not an expert by any means but the few bowls and lids I have taken a razor too were dry. I couldn't imagine the nasty mess that would ensue if you add water and soap. I like to scrape them dry. I'll use a mask though from now on

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »
Good thought.   Better safe than sorry. What if you used something like dawn soap while using the razor and steel wool.  Would that help to keep the dust down?

I use soapy water as a lubricant and also to keep any dust from forming.  But I don't see why not dry with a dust mask on if you wish.  It is similar to car body work dry sanding vs. wet sanding.  One method creates dust and the other does not.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 04:06:32 PM »
I wear a mask, except when I forget...
And gloves when using bar keepers friend, found that one out the hard way after I nearly dropped dead after an hour or so of scrubbing. Apparently the acid in it can leach through your skin[emoji16]

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
Basically, whatever makes you happy.

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:39:56 PM »
I worried about this too, breathing in old charcoal dust and steel wool shavings. I used a dust mask for awhile, helped a little but I still noticed the same problem, black tissues. So I went out and bought a respirator like you'd wear for painting or mold removal. Problem solved.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »
I use soapy water with no gloves or mask. I do however wear ear protection [emoji51]

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 11:56:23 PM »
Use 409 after scraping with a razor and a nice green scrubby. Never used any eye/ear protection and gloves. Ive had enough exposure to God knows what working on aircraft for 4 years in the AF.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 01:24:25 AM »
The steel wool dust is probably pretty tame compared to the chemicals in all the food you eat.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 04:29:52 AM »
What about the carcinogens on the food, and smoke, from cooking it on the grill...K
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 04:50:16 AM »
I'm always more worried about the aluminum dust from polishing legs/vents/ash buckets, etc.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 04:55:50 AM »
For me... I worry about what Mrs. Grillfella says when I have more cleaning supplies for my Grills than I do for household chores....  Or when I tell her.. No... Thats for the Grills.... heh...

Not THAT gents... Is a worthy worry... :)
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 05:02:39 AM »
I noticed charcoal dust when pouring them into the chimney starter and ash dust from quick clean inside the bowl before firing up the grill.  Should we start wearing dust mask when we start cooking?

Steel wool dust - fine enough to float in the open air - is it really steel wool particle ?

What about when polishing aluminum legs.  I am too lazy to wear dusk mask.  I wet sand or dry sand outside.

It is your call how far you want to go to protect yourself.