Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cold call???  (Read 3606 times)

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Cold call???
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
Okay help me out here....

Two or three days a week i drive be a house on the corner and on the side patio there is an MBH cado just sitting there.  From what i can tell it hasnt moved all summer.  It's surrounded by other patio "stuff".  Gobs of stuff.  Its un covered and its calling my name.  Darw i knock on the door and ask if its for sale???  It pains me to see this just wasting away.  It even has the twist ash pan / catcher..  Seems abit weathered n a bit of rust....   but who knows...  RRR??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Cold call???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
I've done it. Worst they can say is no or maybe later.
I've left them a phone number and e-mail if they have a change of heart.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
Go for it, you've nothing to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 11:01:58 AM »
Do it!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »
Do it!  I wasn't hearing back from a CL poster so I googled the address and the house came up as for sale.  I contacted the realtor because I thought they didn't get my emails (2) ... Over the top?  Maybe... But the CL seller wrote me back... Too bad it had sold, dangit!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 11:48:55 AM »
That's how i got my Crooked K code redhead..for $20

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
I've had a couple cold calls work out & a few that haven't.  It's your civic duty to RRR for the WKC, so you have to at least attempt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 12:52:47 PM »
@jeffrackmo  Do you by chance have a "Black" that you can shine up and offer as trade if they say no or not right now? Maybe one with the ash catcher bucket? I have done this once and it worked!

When I showed up with it they said REALLY!? "This for THAT?" Okay :D

Good luck!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
We expect you to get over any case of nerves. Just be nice and smile but DO go.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »
I haven't done it before but I'd try to start with a conversation and general grill BBQ talk and then lead into asking about the lonely kettle. Worst they can say is no.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 12:58:56 PM »
@jeffrackmo  Do you by chance have a "Black" that you can shine up and offer as trade if they say no or not right now? Maybe one with the ash catcher bucket? I have done this once and it worked!

When I showed up with it they said REALLY!? "This for THAT?" Okay :D

Good luck!
I like this idea. A lot.

It's amazing how far a smile and an ounce of goodwill will get you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 01:03:50 PM »
Here is a thread regarding cold calling and doorbell ringing posted in July of this year.  It chronicles a lot of great scores that were achieved through cold calling.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/has-anyone-actually-scored-a-grill-by-ringing-the-doorbell-and-'cold-calling'/

Here is another story that is hysterical.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/perving-the-trailer-park-!/

I employ all resources, including family and friends to watch for kettles at garage and estate sales.  About a month ago my sister was at a garage sale in Santa Cruz, about 1 hour drive from me and saw a yellow kettle hiding behind a fence in a back yard. She asked the owner if the kettle was for sale and replied no.  After shopping for a short time and starting to leave the owner came up to her and said, "I haven't used that thing in over 10 years, its yours for ten bucks". After buying my sister dinner and delivering a newer 18" kettle to her friend that shoved it in her car at the garage sale, it is now in my arsenal. No ash pan and tab on lid vent broken off but it is still a yellow.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:26:09 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

armpit

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »
a cold call was my first post:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/houston-tx/msg131762/

side note: picked it up a day before "tax day" floods
other side note: got flooded on "tax day" floods

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »
I've done one. Didn't work, I still see that poor redhead almost every day just begging to be rescued... [emoji20]

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 01:31:08 AM »
I have in the past and it didn't work out.  It was rather awkward at the end, mostly for me.  I still see it on one of my normal routes and it gets used rather often.  I would do it again though.

Give it a shot and let us know how it went.