Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer  (Read 9280 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 03:04:35 PM »
@Troy - First, your review was funny and entertaining as always.  I laughed out loud at the "I am going to buy another unit just to peel the screen sticker off" comment.

As for the unit itself, I have mixed feelings. 

On the plus side, Thermoworks quality in a remote unit is a very positive thing.  The promise of a WIFI module in the spring is also a very big plus.

On the negative side - I am so bummed about the unit's probes, mainly because I cannot reuse my substantial investment in K type probes from Thermoworks.  But more importantly, it does not look like the probes that come with the unit can fit through the grommets that many of us use in our smokers.  Can you please take a measurement when you get a moment?

Thanks,

Winz

Thank you! That sticker was incredibly satisfying.

It does kinda suck about the probes not fitting. I haven't tested my grommets yet, but I'm pretty sure these probes won't fit.
Looks like it's time to upgrade the grommets

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
I like it. Purely for the bulky factor. Looks well made and would last.
Sounds like you should get a second job....peeling....stickers..off....products.... [emoji15]
Good review, dude. Nice product.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 06:34:08 AM »
I just looked at WSM grommet this morning and don't see why a probe won't fit thru the slit.  It's silicone and stretches.  Unless my grommet is somehow unique, The plug end should fit without and issue...I stuck a headphone plug thru which appears to be about the same size of the thermoworks.  Maybe I'm missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:36:09 AM by blksabbath »

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »
Great review @Troy! This looks like another great product from Thermoworks. Only wish they had it last year when I ordered two DOTS to get meat and grate temperatures. The dots are an exceptional product as well but the remote temp reading is too nice of an option to ignore.  Looks like the dots will be set aside for the new Smoke. Nice thing is that the dot probes should work with this so I will have plenty of backups.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »
Great review @Troy! This looks like another great product from Thermoworks. Only wish they had it last year when I ordered two DOTS to get meat and grate temperatures. The dots are an exceptional product as well but the remote temp reading is too nice of an option to ignore.  Looks like the dots will be set aside for the new Smoke. Nice thing is that the dot probes should work with this so I will have plenty of backups.

While you're ordering he Smoke I'd recommend grabbing a couple of Pro-Series Needle probes for your DOTS.  They read fast and the probe is so thin you won't feel like you're poking all the juices out of whatever you're cooking.  I use needle probes all the time.

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
I just looked at WSM grommet this morning and don't see why a probe won't fit thru the slit.  It's silicone and stretches.  Unless my grommet is somehow unique, The plug end should fit without and issue...I stuck a headphone plug thru which appears to be about the same size of the thermoworks.  Maybe I'm missing something?

I have an older WSM with no silicone grommet. What I have done, like a lot of folks,  is replaced the mounting hardware on one of the legs that hold the grates with a 3/8" brass gromet from Cajun Bandit.
http://cajunbandit.com/accessories/
There is no way to make those ends fit through. As is the 733 probes barely fit once one of the wires is already through the hole.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 02:05:40 PM »
Ahhh.  Makes sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 02:19:58 PM »

I have an older WSM with no silicone grommet. What I have done, like a lot of folks,  is replaced the mounting hardware on one of the legs that hold the grates with a 3/8" brass gromet from Cajun Bandit.
http://cajunbandit.com/accessories/
There is no way to make those ends fit through. As is the 733 probes barely fit once one of the wires is already through the hole.

Yep, Same issue.  I made my grommets for Wapiti out of hardware I found in the plumbing aisle of True Value

No way the probes for the new "Smoke" are going to fit through there.  Looks like an opportunity for a new mod.....

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 10:56:04 PM »
This product looks great. I may have to get one of these. The lack of stand up receiver is a yuge oversight. I'd slap one of these or similar on it and call it a day.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 02:40:41 AM »
This product looks great. I may have to get one of these. The lack of stand up receiver is a yuge oversight. I'd slap one of these or similar on it and call it a day.

Might work, but the bottom of the receiver is curved and the lanyard is attached there as well.

I missed the stand at first, but I've found myself relying more on the alarms with Smoke, and caring less about what the display says. 

If I had my way though I'd probably nix the lanyard and add a stand.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 05:30:49 AM »
@Troy - since the receiver only has one button... I gotta ask... Does the alarm only sound at the base station?  Or is the receiver button on/off and alarm sleep/disable?

That would be a huge concern if the receiver doesn't have audible alarm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »
@Troy - since the receiver only has one button... I gotta ask... Does the alarm only sound at the base station?  Or is the receiver button on/off and alarm sleep/disable?

That would be a huge concern if the receiver doesn't have audible alarm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

both the receiver and the transmitter make the alarm sound

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »
Based on the positives I read from @Troy s review, I managed to receive a little Thermoworks care package today.  This will make a nice little kit for some upcoming smoking sessions.

Man, I am a sucker for spending money with that company....

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 08:42:20 PM »
Based on the positives I read from @Troy s review, I managed to receive a little Thermoworks care package today.  This will make a nice little kit for some upcoming smoking sessions.

Man, I am a sucker for spending money with that company....

Winz

NICE!!!
I've been loving mine. Used it a few times with GREAT results.
I shot some more video too, but haven't gotten it edited yet

Cellar2ful

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 08:48:35 PM »
@Winz - Is that a package deal that Thermoworks sells, or did you buy the Smoke and Limited Edition Flame Thermapen separately, then make your own carrying case? That is badass. 

Never mind, I just noticed the carrying case on the website.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"