Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer  (Read 9270 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 05:51:23 AM »
Good review guys, thanks!
I'm leaning towards getting one but I have one question: is it possible to have it be silent?
I got a dog that freaks out when my thermometer's alarm goes off. I wound up taking my old one apart to disable the speaker.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »
Good review guys, thanks!
I'm leaning towards getting one but I have one question: is it possible to have it be silent?
I got a dog that freaks out when my thermometer's alarm goes off. I wound up taking my old one apart to disable the speaker.
Thanks

WNC - Yes, you can adjust the volume of the base unit alarm all the way down to silent.  For the handheld unit, you cannot adjust volume, however, as soon as the alarm goes off, you just press the big button on the front and it stops beeping.

The thing I kept missing in all the reviews is that the units connect using RF, NOT BLUETOOTH!.  As a result, the range is SO MUCH better.  That feature alone sets it above other units in this price range.

In addition, Thermoworks will be releasing a WIFI module that will plug into the existing unit, and will allow you to monitor over the internet, making for unlimited monitoring range.

Good stuff,

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »
Thanks Winz!

TheHojo

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 05:51:02 AM »
So what was the final consensus whether probe can fit thru grommet - either the probe or the plug end.  Thank you - Ted

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 08:58:44 AM »
So what was the final consensus whether probe can fit thru grommet - either the probe or the plug end.  Thank you - Ted

Didn't fit my cajun bandit grommets

Bob the Bear

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
Purchased probe and found it to be outstanding; used last week on large tri tip with mini WSM.  Question was asked about size of grommet required.  The outside diameter of probe collar is 3/8 inch.  Did not work with Cajun Bandit 3/8 grommets because the inside diameter of the grommet is .315 inches; not .375 inches.  Now using 3/4 in. x 1/2 in. brass MIP xFIP Hex bushing with nut.  Removed 3/8 grommet and enlarged hole with step drill.  I have found three solutions for high temp silicone grommot upgrades for older WSMs and any Weber kettle.  High temperature rated grommets for Weber Smokey Mountains, kettles, and stacker conversions with 1/16 inch panel thickness are: Weber 85037 Grommet which requires a 1 1/4 inch cut hole; Mil Spec 5 Grommet, Silicone, 3MRT1 which requires a 13/16 inch cut hole; or Mil Spec 5 Grommet, Silicone, 3MRR9 Grommet which requires an 11/16 inch cut hole. I highly recommend the use of a high speed steel step-drill and lube for cutting the hole; excellent USA made on eBay. The 3MRR9 grommet is the lowest cost option since you will be getting a package of five and it has the smallest drilled hole with 7/16 center hole for inserting your probes. The next recommendation is the 3MRT1 grommets (pkg of 5) and has a 1/2 inch center hole for inserting probes. All items can be found on eBay.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:01:04 AM by Bob the Bear »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
Welcome, @Bob the Bear. Glad to have another bear around.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791